Ideas for monitor setup.. need help please!

mxk

I'm buying the parts for my PC and I've known for a while, that it won't fit on my desk with both my monitors. I need some help for ideas on how I can fit my Dell 1905FP and My Asus MG248 along with a Meshify C ATX with some mousepad room. I won't subject my pc to being under the desk again, no way. Not after I pay $100 for custom cables and color match everything. I don't want to put the old Dell monitor to rest, either. I love it too much, it was my first monitor and I want to keep using it until it dies.

I was thinking that I could vesa mount the Dell 1905FP and have it above my Asus MG248, which would give me room to put the PC on with the mousepad space, but I'm not sure how this would work out.

Does anyone else have any ideas other ideas on how I could organize this? If anyone needs any pictures of my current setup for reference, I can provide some.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, w1nger1 said:

How big is your desk?

It's actually quite large, I'll go measure and answer but it's shared with my dad (who doesn't use his DDR2 computer anymore), his PC, and a printer with a home-made table on the desk for the printer. I'm left with the spare space. I'll get back to you in a sec

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

It's actually quite large, I'll go measure and answer but it's shared with my dad (who doesn't use his DDR2 computer anymore), his PC, and a printer with a home-made table on the desk for the printer. I'm left with the spare space. I'll get back to you in a sec

Most ideal for me is side by side, but of course only if you have the room for it. From left to right, 2nd monitor, main monitor, desktop.

3 minutes ago, w1nger1 said:

Most ideal for me is side by side, but of course only if you have the room for it. From left to right, 2nd monitor, main monitor, desktop.

Our printer just died so I might be able to squeeze everything in, but that's up to my dad since everything else on the desk is his choice.

IMG_20181206_184454.jpg

IMG_20181206_184433.jpg

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Oh...now I get it, I don't think you can fit both side by side, you can barely do it now. I think the only solution is stacking. But even that, you have tiny room for your keyboard and mouse pad if your PC is on your desk. The printer rack is not movable I assume?

Just now, w1nger1 said:

Oh...now I get it, I don't think you can fit both side by side, you can barely do it now. I think the only solution is stacking. But even that, you have tiny room for your keyboard and mouse pad if your PC is on your desk. The printer rack is not movable I assume?

It is, my dad and I built it out of an old cabinet we used to own. I think having the monitor somehow mounted above my asus monitor is the solution here, but I'm not sure.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

7 minutes ago, mxk. said:

It is, my dad and I built it out of an old cabinet we used to own. I think having the monitor somehow mounted above my asus monitor is the solution here, but I'm not sure.

You should get a dual monitor mount for that. But then you have to think where you going to mount the mount.

1 minute ago, w1nger1 said:

You should get a dual monitor mount for that. But then you have to think where you going to mount the mount.

I'm looking into VESA mounts that have enough height to clear my main monitor. If that isn't an option I'll look into dual mounts

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

14 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I'm looking into VESA mounts that have enough height to clear my main monitor. If that isn't an option I'll look into dual mounts

Hmm...maybe you can mount your secondary monitor on the wall. That could work too.

19 minutes ago, w1nger1 said:

Hmm...maybe you can mount your secondary monitor on the wall. That could work too.

My dell 5:4 monitor has vesa 100mm. I'm thinking I'll buy a wall OR desk mount for it, then have it off the left where it's sitting in the pictures and up higher so I can scoot my main asus monitor over to the left, than put my PC up on the desk. I believe it should work.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

23 minutes ago, w1nger1 said:

I could try this too, but my dad isn't super comfortable with mounting stuff to the wall. It's just drywall and the dell monitor is really heavy since it's a good 12+ years old.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

Our printer just died so I might be able to squeeze everything in, but that's up to my dad since everything else on the desk is his choice.

If the printer is dead, just put your desktop where the printer was. Done.

9 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

If the printer is dead, just put your desktop where the printer was. Done.

Not my decision, sadly. It's my dads printer and he's very busy all the time and he would like to be there if any rearranging of things that aren't mine happen. Plus, where the printer is sitting is weak spot in the desk.

Sorry to shit on your idea. This would be my preferred method of getting my pc on the desk, but I have to work it out with my dad.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Not my decision, sadly. It's my dads printer and he's very busy all the time and he would like to be there if any rearranging of things that aren't mine happen. Plus, where the printer is sitting is weak spot in the desk.

Sorry to shit on your idea. This would be my preferred method of getting my pc on the desk, but I have to work it out with my dad.

Definitely a fair point.

Based on that, I think I agree with what winger said here:

1 hour ago, w1nger1 said:

Look at getting a pole mount for your monitors. You can avoid having any modifications done to the walls, it will mount right to your desk, and you can cleanly stack both your monitors and sit the PC in the previously occupied space.

Chief, Ergotron, and a bunch of other vendors all have solutions at different price points.