P106 NOW SUPPORT DirectX (Not Official)

SkySway
4 minutes ago, DMJohn0X said:

yuck. 3g model? That one has cut down cuda count too no?

well, the seller stated that it is 6G version, don't know if it's real or not, but what is interesting to me is whether the outputs will work with that mod

4 hours ago, bingo said:

@NoHrt

Do you mind doing a benchmark on the card ? and it's comparable to which gaming card (i'm assuming gtx 1070 ?) how much vram does it have ? and how much does the card cost ?

why are we using this specific driver version (416.34) when newer versions are out ?? can we keep doing for the latest drivers ? are there any deals fo the p104 and p102 (gtx 1080 equivalent)  ? does this work only with intel igpu or amd will work fine as well ? 

according to the guy in this video : (he has another version :zotac )  the card doesn't support directx 12 , and some games don't work (like Rainbow six siege) , because Battleye (ubisoft's anti-cheat) doesn't support self signed drivers , are these issue present with the gigabyte version ?

My cards are 4GB. i bought the cards for 300$ each.

The driver supplied in the original thread is for the P106 only the files are not modified for the P104. I have modified the .inf files to support the P104-100 cards. 

I had to use 416.34 as the newest version of driver from nvidia wouldnt install with my .inf files. I presume because the latest version drivers dont support the mining cards.

Currently selling some if anyones interested:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/sop/d/vancouver-evga-pmining-edition/6795292016.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/sop/d/vancouver-pgb-gtx-1070/6795291514.html

As for the video you posted. The games will work but you need to switch back on driver enforcement AFTER you install the unassigned driver. DX9 games are not supported though.

Hey guys, I have a weird one here. So I was watching the new LinusTechTips video on the super cheap Gigabyte P106 6G mining card. Very impressive what they accomplished but I have another question. I have a Plex media server at home and I am currently looking to upgrade my transcoding performance. I know alot of you guys wouldn't know much about Plex and transcoding, but basically all GTX cards are locked to a maximum of 2 encoding streams so working professionals cannot go out and buy a GTX1060 over a Quadro K4000 (bull***t I know).

If this card is based off a 1060, is there still a limited number of encoding streams or is it unlimited like a Quadro because it's a mining card? It would literally be the most perfect GPU for my application cause it's cheap and I don't need any display ports, and it means I wont have to spends $$$$ to go down the path of CPU upgrades.

Totally understandable if you can't answer my question :) 

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

16 minutes ago, KingCollins said:

If this card is based off a 1060, is there still a limited number of encoding streams or is it unlimited like a Quadro because it's a mining card?

It is a mining card but its also an entry level gaming card, with crypto's becoming harder and harder to decode, the 1060 probably isnt the best selection to mine with. I doubt you could do anything else to modify it if thats what you want to do, other then cooling.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382257-gtx-1050-vs-1060-vs-1070-in-encoding

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3130497/gtx-1060-support-265-hardware-encoding-decoding.html

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#SupportedGPUs

I hope that helps, because I really have no clue otherwise.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

It is a mining card but its also an entry level gaming card, with crypto's becoming harder and harder to decode, the 1060 probably isnt the best selection to mine with. I doubt you could do anything else to modify it if thats what you want to do, other then cooling.

That's exactly my point, I won't be using this card to mine with or to play PC games, I will be using it to encode video streams on my Plex media server. This card has 1,280 cuda cores for $75 which is an extremely good price/performance comparison. Just wondering with it being a mining card is the number of video encoding streams limited to 2.

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1001560-chinese-hack-mining-gpu-and-turn-it-into-gaming-gpu/

NVIDIA P106, which is about the same spec as GTX 1060 6GB but without video output and DX support, and somehow get DX support back, then using integrated GPU to output video signal. As for result, this thing could run almost smooth as low-end GTX 1060 with only 1/4 of a regular 1060 price. 

What OS is your Plex Media Server?

1 minute ago, King Poet said:

What OS is your Plex Media Server?

Windows Server 2016

Just now, KingCollins said:

Windows Server 2016

Ah bummer. There's a patch for Ubuntu that unlocks the limit on GTX cards. That's what I have my 2nd Plex server running.

Hmmm, looks like he has a patch for Windows but it's experimental:
https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch/tree/master/win

Not sure if it's worth the risk.

There is a famous mining site that's selling P104 and P106. Actually, they are selling P104, aka 1080, for $399.

If I can get a GTX 1080 performance for just $399... now that's a good deal. ?

Site I'm referring to: https://www.bitnand.com/

RTX 2060 is equal to 1080 in games, and has DLSS + raytracing, and is cheaper than 399$ afaik

17 hours ago, wemit said:

yea, that looks good, tho in the video that was posted here he said zotac doesn't support dtx 12, can that be? Disable dtx 12 from manufacturer to manufacturer? I've been trying to get in contact with the seller, they don't have anything on that page that claim to support the modified driver and gaming with it like the other have. Seller did not respond to me.. maybe cause I've asked in english, idk xD. Anyways it really looks nice.. especially if you can install the unsigned driver from the test mode and afterwards disable it so you can play anything.. If that can be achieved the only thing is that u must add every single game and set it to run on high performance card but.. for the money that is not that big of a problem.

56 minutes ago, DooKid said:

yea, that looks good, tho in the video that was posted here he said zotac doesn't support dtx 12, can that be? Disable dtx 12 from manufacturer to manufacturer? I've been trying to get in contact with the seller, they don't have anything on that page that claim to support the modified driver and gaming with it like the other have. Seller did not respond to me.. maybe cause I've asked in english, idk xD. Anyways it really looks nice.. especially if you can install the unsigned driver from the test mode and afterwards disable it so you can play anything.. If that can be achieved the only thing is that u must add every single game and set it to run on high performance card but.. for the money that is not that big of a problem.

Dx, not "dtx" ;)

Also I wonder if in future, Microsoft COULD (hopefully not) disable the GPU -> iGPU passthrough, or if that is only possible by a BIOS update.

Anyone knows if the card's firmware is modified or this would work with any P106 cards? This would be great for plex transcodes if it can run on linux.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:11 AM, NoHrt said:

My cards are 4GB. i bought the cards for 300$ each.

The driver supplied in the original thread is for the P106 only the files are not modified for the P104. I have modified the .inf files to support the P104-100 cards. 

I had to use 416.34 as the newest version of driver from nvidia wouldnt install with my .inf files. I presume because the latest version drivers dont support the mining cards.

Currently selling some if anyones interested:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/sop/d/vancouver-evga-pmining-edition/6795292016.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/sop/d/vancouver-pgb-gtx-1070/6795291514.html

As for the video you posted. The games will work but you need to switch back on driver enforcement AFTER you install the unassigned driver. DX9 games are not supported though.

Did you modify anything on the firmware side ?

@NoHrt

So I tried buying the same P106 that Linus bought from Taobao. Linus said that the seller did not want to ship it to Canada, did he eventually agree or did Linus have to use a Taobao Agent? And what Taobao agents have you tried and would recommend to me? I unfortunately have to cheap out on my GPU due to a 1060 6gbs being 495USD in Jordan.

Typically people use mail forwarding services. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, Apec_Plays said:

seller did not want to ship it to Canada

Some still think the Canada Post is on strike, so inform them otherwise and see.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Some still think the Canada Post is on strike, so inform them otherwise and see.

No, there's a lot of taobao sellers that won't ship internationally. Also, the OP isn't from Canada, what he's talking about is LMG having issues with getting a P106 for their video.

I personally get my things shipped locally to a family member and pick it up when I go to China ?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Ty for jor kind job!

I just instaled my p106-100 with your drivers on a clean installation, everything works fine, but when i tried to configure games for using different gpu i only have my integrated card in there.

My specs are

Windows 10 -1.804

Motherboard MSI a78me35 v2

Proccesor AMD 7870k

iGPU Radeon R7 (TM) series

also in task manager i only can see my gpu0 (integrated) but not p106

Im a bit desperated, tried different version, one that vendor sent to me but also didnt work.

Any idea?

Just realized my gpu still dont support directx

ztech.gif

Ok i Made it work with your files on safe mode, and now i can see my gpu on task manager, but still i cant switch between them on graphics conf.

I only have my iGPU on high performance....

keeping trying

BTW anyone can open nVIDIA control panel?

Always said my it cant be open becouse there is no screen plugged to nvidia card ;(

So i instaled the card, its showed properlly in device manager

I can see it on task manager

but i cant selected as high performance,

and every game i use only uses my iGPU

nVidia control panel is gone. If you have an other normal nvidia card installed on your system may work, but it's just a guess.

I tried to record the complete process of modifying the newest driver and signing it, but it seems the method not working with this version (417.71-desktop-win10-64bit). I get code 43 "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems." in device manager. 

417.71 inf modded not working.zip

417.71 inf original.zip

What is the latest version you guys having success?

3 minutes ago, Tschyp said:

What is the latest version you guys having success?

From what I can tell, you'll want 416.34 for this to work.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!