Which Cherry MX switch do you prefer?

MikkoP

I have been here for an year now but I haven't seen this kind of poll yet. Which Cherry MX switch do you prefer and why? Comment below!

I'm really interested to buy a mechanical keyboard, but still a bit unsure which one to choose.. can't choose wrong many times, because they are quite expensive.

Tell me if I missed a switch or something!

Greens and Blues. For Skittles :)

1429.jpg

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Super Blacks

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I have been here for an year now but I haven't seen this kind of poll yet. Which Cherry MX switch do you prefer and why? Comment below!

I'm really interested to buy a mechanical keyboard, but still a bit unsure which one to choose.. can't choose wrong many times, because they are quite expensive.

Tell me if I missed a switch or something!

You must've missed it then.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/85141-favorite-cherry-mx-switch/

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Blue's are my favorite.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

No multiple choice? I'm pretty equally liking blacks and clears and blues

If you could only pick one, would you go for clears or blues?

Haven't tried others, but I'm totally satisfied by MX Brown. And at least my parents and/or my roommates don't try to kill me.

Desktop : i5 3570K@4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Sapphire R9 290, 2*4Gb DDR3 1866mhz, Intel 335 180gb, 2*1tb, all wrapped up in a Corsair Air 540 and fed by a Seasonic Platinum P760,  Windows 8.1 Pro

Laptop : i7 4700MQ, 2*4gb DDR3 Sodimm 1600mhz, Nvidia GTX780m, 70% Gamut Full HD Matte Display, 2*128gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 1*256gb mSATA Crucial M500, Fedora 20 & Windows 8.1 Pro

I did not vote because the poll does not allow for more than one choice....hell, I've got too many anyway. I prefer heavier switch types, so Clear, Black, Green and White.....I have yet to try a board with all Grey.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I did not vote because the poll does not allow for more than one choice....hell, I've got too many anyway. I prefer heavier switch types, so Clear, Black, Green and White.....I have yet to try a board with all Grey.

Well now it's possible to vote multiple switches.

Well now it's possible to vote multiple switches.

If you happen to live near Turku, go to Jimm's and try some mechs out. But living near Turku is not necessarily the most common thing

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If you happen to live near Turku, go to Jimm's and try some mechs out. But living near Turku is not necessarily the most common thing

Actually I live next to Turku. Was planning to go there on Friday when it's open again. I asked them earlier and they told me they have all the switch types available to test.

Actually I live next to Turku. Was planning to go there on Friday when it's open again. I asked them earlier and they told me they have all the switch types available to test.

Wonderful. That's what I did too. Makes choosing easier

Wonderful. That's what I did too. Makes choosing easier

I hope they have CM Storm keyboards to check out. I really like the look of those.

I hope they have CM Storm keyboards to check out. I really like the look of those.

Bugger, can't remember but they do have them in stock but that doesn't help it now does it :)

IIRC they have some ducky, razer and logitech keyboards on display

Bugger, can't remember but they do have them in stock but that doesn't help it now does it :)

IIRC they have some ducky, razer and logitech keyboards on display

I remember seeing something like those there too. I don't really like Logitech though, except for this Illuminated.

I remember seeing something like those there too. I don't really like Logitech though, except for this Illuminated.

Me neither, the g710+ wasn't my cup of tea

Don't listen to us! 

(My favorite is Blacks)

You'll strongly regret it when everyone picks Blues/Browns and you jump on the bandwagon. Unless, you know, you like Blues/Browns. They're the most commonly picked switch for whatever reason. I think it's because they're tactile and its much different from membrane switches which is really what all of us MKB owners are trying to get away from.

Don't listen to us! 

(My favorite is Blacks)

You'll strongly regret it when everyone picks Blues/Browns and you jump on the bandwagon. Unless, you know, you like Blues/Browns. They're the most commonly picked switch for whatever reason. I think it's because they're tactile and its much different from membrane switches which is really what all of us MKB owners are trying to get away from.

Yeah.. I was planning to go to a local hardware store tomorrow to try them out. What I've read about them, the browns seem to be the best for me though.. they seem to be all around choice when you do gaming and typing, well, I do typing most of the time.

Black switches all the way, but I also tend to type as if an elephant were attempting to type. I'm also personally not one for the clack or bump, feels weird to my button mashing in games. :D

Cooler Master USA representing! Looking for help? Head to the CM Fanzone to get in touch with the Customer Support team!

Black switches all the way, but I also tend to type as if an elephant were attempting to type. I'm also personally not one for the clack or bump, feels weird to my button mashing in games. :D

Cool, didn't know we have Cooler Master people here!