So are AMD cpu's supposed to run cooler than Intel ones?

So I now know of a whole two people with AMD processors which seem to run way cooler than my 3570k. I was looking at idles around 15 degrees where my Intel idles around 26 degrees what with that? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

unless your room is 10 degrees C that sensor is wrong 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

unless your room is 10 degrees C that sensor is wrong 

Well then I guess AMD still has bad build quality if two cpus have damaged sensors. lol

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

It depends on what you mean as cooler... I know the AMD chips are supposed to run under 62C while Intel chips are able to go to 90C (but more comfortable at around 70C).

The TDP is much higher, though, on the AMD chips because they consume more power and need to run a little cooler.

Well then I guess AMD still has bad build quality if two cpus have damaged sensors. lol

Tell your friend to try http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html as sometimes software can be wonky.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I have h110 and my friend has a hyper 212. 

Spoiler

It depends on what you mean as cooler... I know the AMD chips are supposed to run under 62C while Intel chips are able to go to 90C (but more comfortable at around 70C).

The TDP is much higher, though, on the AMD chips because they consume more power and need to run a little cooler.

Tell your friend to try http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html as sometimes software can be wonky.

Intel's recommended temperature is 64 degrees centigrade so I don't know where you heard that from. 90 is quite bad for your CPU and the thermal degradation point, massive throttling and automatic shutdown are at 105.

@OP, generally AMD CPU's run hotter as they have a higher TDP, higher TDP is a safe bet that it runs hotter.

I have h110 and my friend has a hyper 212. 

I idle at 22c with a tx3, fx 6300 

Intel's recommended temperature is 64 degrees centigrade so I don't know where you heard that from. 90 is quite bad for your CPU and the thermal degradation point, massive throttling and automatic shutdown are at 105.

@OP, generally AMD CPU's run hotter as they have a higher TDP, higher TDP is a safe bet that it runs hotter.

Thats what I have always thought but I have now seen two cases where the cpus run way cooler.

My friend who has the 15 degree idle temps has an ambient temp of 18 degrees. 

Spoiler

I don't know where you heard that from

Quick Google search. Obviously, the guys over at overclockers.net have no idea what they are talking about (link 1, link 2).

Intel's recommended temperature is 64 degrees centigrade

According to Intel, the max temperature of a 3570k is 67.4°C. According to AMD, the max temperature of an 8150 (the 8350 doesn't have a number listed) is 61C.

The TDP is a good measurement of how hot the room might get, not the CPU (unless the coolers are the same).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Quick Google search. Obviously, the guys over at overclockers.net have no idea what they are talking about (link 1, link 2).

According to Intel, the max temperature of a 3570k is 67.4°C. According to AMD, the max temperature of an 8150 (the 8350 doesn't have a number listed) is 61C.

The TDP is a good measurement of how hot the room might get, not the CPU (unless the coolers are the same).

Sorry I was 3.4c off on Intels numbers and are the users at Overclockers any more credible than the ones here? Most people there said around 70-75 anyways lol. The max safe temperature is 90c but that doesn't mean you should run it at that. 

Thats what I have always thought but I have now seen two cases where the cpus run way cooler.

Unless you are using exotic cooling like phase exchange, cold plate, dry ice, ln2 or anything like that you can't get below ambient temperature so something is definitely messed up there.

Yeah, there is something wrong with that picture.

AMD CPU's tend to report cooler numbers. My theory is that the sensor is located further away from the actual cores than Intel's

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

So your friend keeps their house at 64.4 Fahrenheit? That has to be one insane electric bill then. I live in Florida were its hot all year around, and just about everyone including me, keeps there thermostat between 70-74 degrees Fahrenheit  or  22-23 degrees Celsius.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

So your friend keeps their house at 64.4 Fahrenheit? That has to be one insane electric bill then. I live in Florida were its hot all year around, and just about everyone including me, keeps there thermostat between 70-74 degrees Fahrenheit  or  22-23 degrees Celsius.

Canada, so actually the bill would be much less shocking as its only 10 degress celesius outside. lol

Spoiler

AMD CPU's tend to report cooler numbers. My theory is that the sensor is located further away from the actual cores than Intel's

That is a rather interesting thought. I would make sense though cause AMD can lie and say they run cooler but strange that by moving a sensor the temps would be so different. 

Spoiler

Canada, so actually the bill would be much less shocking as its only 10 degress celesius outside. lol

Awe got cha :) I understand now

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Awe got cha :) I understand now

Now I pay more cause my house is always at 23C

Spoiler

That is a rather interesting thought. I would make sense though cause AMD can lie and say they run cooler but strange that by moving a sensor the temps would be so different.

Only problem is that the CPU die is pretty small, so idk how much a difference moving 1cm would do. But then again, if delidding can make a 15c difference. . .

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

AMD reports temps a lil different. Max temps on the AMD's are lower. No different then the old intel's. Die size matters here.  Old Intel's you didn't want to break certain 60's. New intel (Haswell) 72.5 is ideal. Laptops? Shouldn't even have I7's. They run too damn hot. HT adds heat. Stress test temps are never going to happen.  Test encoding video with Asus realbench (works on any board/chip) with H.264. That will be about the max real world temp you are ever going to see. Adjust your overclock from there.

As far as AMD's running cooler/lasting longer? Don't think so. Voltage will kill a chip faster then heat (as long as you aren't throttling). The voltage running through AMD's is pretty crazy, and is what extreme OC's were running on wolfdale's. I wouldn't OC or run a 8320 (all those chips are same chips with a diff clock) without a VERY good 990fx board with high power phases. I don't even know why the hell they sell combos with non 990fx boards and those chips.

Stay below max on both. If I had to guess the Intel will probably last longer due to less voltage, unless you pass 72.5. Then all bets are off. 

As far as stress testing.

To test a CPU clock?This 8-24 hours testing stuff is nonsense on Haswell's unless you have dual rad water cooling, and it is just as stupid on any chip where you are passing intel's AMD's max. Run H.264/handbrake (asus real bench) for awhile. Play a few games. Run aida (at least Aida only runs a few degrees past a RL max) like 10 minutes with a few youtube videos open and move them around with your mouse. Run Cinebench. Load/close a few games or play them.  Put the computer to sleep and wake it a few times in between. Test a little more? Done. Save yourself hours of staring at a dumb test that might not even crash after a day, when a game will. 

Cache OC. Aida 64 click cache only. This will find cache instability hella fast because it is the ONLY test running. This test usually runs around the same temp as an encode.

Memory overclocking. Prime 95 BLEND (first round) will find memory instability hella quick and you don't need to run all threads (heat), if you pass a few minutes, you are most likely stable. Run memtest over night (you don't have to worry about dumb temps), or if you are in a hurry, run 1 pass then run test 5 5 times.

You don't want to push your chip past its temp max. Stress testing does that. You are not going to find a max overclock without water with stress testing...without degrading your chip. 

My Aida/prime is 75, my encode is 70ish, games like GW2 which are notorious for being CPU bound run at 60 C max and gams like path of the exile max at like 45C... Rest of the time I am 25-30 deg Celsius with a push/pull and a 30 dollar cooler. This is perfectly acceptable per intel and I have encoded video non stop for days and gamed without putting dumb temps into my chip.

You have people stress testing doing 80-90'C (because some dumb youtube video told them to) for hours on end crashing within 30 mins in BF4. 

With old chips like a e8400/Sandy? Yup I could prime it overnight and not worry on air. Haswell or a oc AMD not on dual rad water? You have to be freakin crazy to do this. Grats your stable according to a synthetic test...and you just ran your chip past its max temp for hours on end with no break, and degraded it for no reason.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.