Reason why Apple rejected/removed Bitcoin transcition apps

snowComet

In the last couple months Apple had rejected/removed several bitcoin related apps,like CoinBase, and some had to remove its ability to handle transcition in bitcoin, like Gliph. Recently, a blog post from Gliph's Rob Banagale revealed that Apple rejected those apps largely because of legal issues.

The rejection, Banagale notes, was based largely off of section 22.1 of Apple’s App Store review guidelines. The rule states that “apps must comply with all legal requirements in any location where they are made available to users. It is the developer’s obligation to understand and conform to all local laws.”

Bitcoin is not illegal, but it is also not legally recognized by governments as a currency. This gray area is what is leading Apple to reject Bitcoin-transaction apps.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/09/how-does-apple-really-feel-about-bitcoin/

Rob Banagale's blog post

https://blog.gli.ph/2013/12/09/the-state-of-bitcoin-mobile-applications-in-the-app-store-and-google-play/#more-1066

cant understand why people would want to buy a phone that restricts pretty much everything

Freedom from choice ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If people still needed reasons to switch away from apple....

There's many reasons and rumours to why apple blocked the apps, such as apple viewing Bitcoin as a competitor to their upcoming payment network.

http://bitcoinowl.com/why-you-cant-run-bitcoin-apps-your-iphone

No matter how many apps apple may blocks it helps push developers to create new methods of paying with Bitcoin.

Here's CoinPunk's latest project using Bitcoin with a non-native app.

http://coinpunk.org/

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Wow that reasoning of crap. Do they use the same logic for special currency in games, like some games has gold coins? Of course not...

• 1 month later...

It's Apple. They seem to think they can do whatever the hell they want to and still get away with it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

cant understand why people would want to buy a phone that restricts pretty much everything

Freedom from choice ?

People that want the out of box experience. 

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

Freedom from choice ?

you see it as freedom from choice but other non tech savy folk see it as stability and simplicity.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)