PSA: Try and use other mining pools in place of www.wemineltc.com They are near 25% of the Network hash rate.

Hi guys,

This reddit post was recently found by me, and I thought it was important since I see a lot of people using this mining pool already.

The reason them having 25% share of the Network hash rate is a bad thing is that, if they conspired with some other pool, they could easily have over 50% and control the flow of LTC.

This was a problem with BTC mining some time ago, when a single pool was almost at 51% of the total network hash rate and had to be throttled to prevent them causing double spending. Which basically means they could decide how much BTC anyone got. It's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

You can use wemineltc, but just keep aware of how much of the total network hash rate your pool has and try to avoid bigger ones to prevent any of them from having too much of it. This won't cause you to make any less LTC. 

Wemineltc isn't the bad guys, but at the same time, we don't want them to have the power to become the bad guys. That'd be bad. Mkay?

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm using Coinotron.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

But its so simple

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

For a list of other known pools and their current % of the hashrate check here.

https://www.litecoinpool.org/pools

Personally I use Liteguardian. But would also recommend litecoinpool.org or LTCRabbit

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Also, wemineltc is actually being pushed to the limit on all their servers from what I can tell.

I moved to a much smaller pool and my Rejected Shares are much lower now. They were over 3% with wemineltc, while switching Nushor's LTC Pool has made them just over 1% so far. 

And just so you know, Raen, someone who "works" for wemineltc (he's an admin) told everyone to switch to global because all the other ones were getting bogged down and it should increase your Accepted:Rejected ratio. Mine didn't until I went to a new, much smaller, pool.

Think about how much LTC is growing in popularity, and combine that with the fact that wemineltc is one of the most popular pools and this makes sense. After 30 minutes, I'm at 22560:304 (A:R) so about 1.36%.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I mine with Mine-Litcoin and yes they have had server issues this past week or so but now it looks like theyve ironned everything out and been mining for 24+ hours with no hiccups. The pool averages some where between 250 and 300 mhash/s so its a decent size. Nice community in the IRC too.

ive mined with Give-me-coins for a while. now using coinotron. Heard that there was some funny stuff going on with give-me-coins (people not getting as many coins as they were supposed too) even though i never had a problem, i switched just in case.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1