MPAA Wants Advanced Anit-Piracy Measures at Movie Theaters like Night Vision Goggles

EChondo

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-wants-advanced-anti-piracy-measures-at-movie-theaters-131114/

MPAA PDF: http://www.scribd.com/doc/184155847/Movie-Theft-Best-Practices-MPAA-pdf

I'm not going to quote the whole article as it is VERY long, but I'll quote the main idea and meat of it.

The MPAA has updated its anti-piracy guidelines for movie theaters, providing tips and tricks on how to catch “camming” pirates on the spot. Among other things the movie group wants theaters to forbid the use of mobile phone cameras, and be vigilant of suspect cup holders and cameras built into eyeglass frames. To increase motivation, theater employees who bust a movie thief can look forward to a $500 reward.

To prevent movie piracy, theaters nowadays are becoming more secure than some airports.

During pre-release screenings and premieres employees are often equipped with night-vision goggles and instructed to closely monitor movie goers. In some cases members of the public are instructed to hand over all recording-capable devices including phones, or even their candy.

While these measures are not always appreciated by the average movie goer they appear to have had some effect, as so-called “CAM” releases are becoming more rare. Perhaps motivated by this success, the MPAA has now updated its “Best Practices to Prevent Film Theft” guide for movie theaters.

In the revised guide the MPAA has stripped the billions of dollars in claimed losses that were included previously, but stresses that illegal camcording remains a significant problem. The movie industry group therefore advises theater owners to strictly prohibit the use of equipment that can record audio, video, or even take photographs.

“The MPAA recommends that theaters adopt a Zero Tolerance policy that prohibits the video or audio recording and the taking of photographs of any portion of a movie,” MPAA states.

prerelsc.png

So, night vision goggles and the ability to search my wife's/girlfriend's bag? Take away my phone and freaking candy?!

I don't even go to the theaters anymore, but this will just make it so more people don't go to the movies.

Get a grip MPAA you are loosing anyway!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Lol, MPAA is on a roll to piss everyone off.

I read the theater thing yesterday and saw the teaching school one today, saw they weren't posted here and was very surprised, so I posted them both!

I agree, MPAA is on a roll!

Who downloads cams anymore? The only way to truly prevent piracy is to disallow any sale of DVDs, not license the movies to Netflix, Hulu, etc., and disallow cameras of any kind in a movie theater which is obviously never going to happen. I would buy movies if they weren't $45 for some mediocre 1.5 hour "comedy" that I'm never going to watch twice.

Spoiler

Who downloads cams anymore? The only way to truly prevent piracy is to disallow any sale of DVDs, not license the movies to Netflix, Hulu, etc., and disallow cameras of any kind in a movie theater which is obviously never going to happen. I would buy movies if they weren't $45 for some mediocre 1.5 hour "comedy" that I'm never going to watch twice.

What's really funny is that I see more HD copies of a theater released movie, I'm guessing the guys up in the box are recording it for their own entertainment and then they upload it to YouTube and torrents for other people.

Most projectors are now digital, so copying the movie is relatively easy.

Oh MPAA, why you try so hard?  :D  Who really downloads cam prints anyway?

Lol search my bag, I'd like to see the 15yr old movie attendant try

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I don't get why people watch camrips anyway. They look absolutely horrible, as if they were filmed on a potato... Actually, they should probably confiscate any potatoes brought into the movie theater as well, that would probably stop a ton of camrips.

HAHA nice try MPAA but it won't work, it's already expensive as hell to go see a movie, don't discourage people even more.

On the other hand, I can sort of understand for pre-release movies but seriously, common sense...

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Surely it would be simpler to pass a couple of thousand bucks to the guy that controls the computer upon which the movies are stored, and ask them to get you a copy without telling anybody?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Theater ticket sales are already down, why is the MPAA trying to shaft the small bump they recently had?