Steam OS on raspberry pi?

Hi guys,

will you be able to install steam OS on a raspberry pi and just use it to stream from your pc to tv

and then plug in the AWESOME new controller?

No it would have to be a ported version becuse the rasbery pi dose not use a bois or ueif so it wont work it may however if some one ports it. :D

No it would have to be a ported version becuse the rasbery pi dose not use a bois or ueif so it wont work it may however if some one ports it. :D

what do you mean by porting?

Why bother? It's like, way too underpowered.

for streaming in 1080p?

Pretty sure It all depends on if there is an ARM version of the OS.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I thought of that but is it even possible?

i know that you can stream fullhd videos from your nas with it

so my thought was, why not with games to?

Pretty sure It all depends on if there is an ARM version of the OS.

Seeing as how Arch Linux was ported, I wouldn't be surprised if SteamOS gets a port as soon as the source is released.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Seeing as how Arch Linux was ported, I wouldn't be surprised if SteamOS gets a port as soon as the source is released.

Yeah, would be good if we did see a port. 

Pi was fine streaming 1080p video for me, so should be okay to stream games.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

The main difference however between the two is that the Linux distros on the pi such as arch, Debian, and fedora are all open source which greatly helped in their ability to be ported. While I don't doubt that the underlying distro for steam OS will be eventually ported as being based off of Linux it would have to release the source code, the main problem would be with the steam client itself, which I would assume valve would want to keep closed source, meaning that valve themselves would have to port it. Will it happen? Possibly, though I think valve would likely focus on the aspects of SteamOS that could make them more money first, which would be the x86 version. 

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

If anything, I would recommend the Beaglebone Black, it's way more powerful than Rasberi Pi, and has decent amount of RAM to actually run a GUI properly.

The BeagleBone Black, 45$, has:

• 512MB DDR3 RAM
  • 2GB 8-bit eMMC on-board flash storage
  • microSD card reader
  • 3D graphics accelerator
  • Ethernet
  • HDMI (with audio)
  • USB 2.0
  • AM335x 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU
  • Claims to boot Linux in 10sec

The main difference however between the two is that the Linux distros on the pi such as arch, Debian, and fedora are all open source which greatly helped in their ability to be ported. While I don't doubt that the underlying distro for steam OS will be eventually ported as being based off of Linux it would have to release the source code, the main problem would be with the steam client itself, which I would assume valve would want to keep closed source, meaning that valve themselves would have to port it. Will it happen? Possibly, though I think valve would likely focus on the aspects of SteamOS that could make them more money first, which would be the x86 version. 

Valve has already specified that the source for SteamOS will be released, for those who so desire to tinker with it. We don't know much about the client itself - whether it'll be closed source or open. However, the software needed for some of the SteamOS features outside of the Steam client will have to be open-source if they stick to their end-goal.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Valve has already specified that the source for SteamOS will be released, for those who so desire to tinker with it. We don't know much about the client itself - whether it'll be closed source or open. However, the software needed for some of the SteamOS features outside of the Steam client will have to be open-source if they stick to their end-goal.

I knew that valve had already stated that the source for SteamOS would be released, though I see that I could have worded my reply better. What I was trying to say was that although SteamOS itself will likely see an ARM port, I'm not so sure about the steam client, and I think that the streaming would be more likely be built into the client and not require another piece of software. I would love if the client did eventually come to ARM though, as it would allow me to save some money on the steam streaming box I would like to make.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

nope 

dont even try it games will not run on it

nope 

dont even try it games will not run on it

You don't run games off them, you stream them, Much like Nvidia Shield. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I knew that valve had already stated that the source for SteamOS would be released, though I see that I could have worded my reply better. What I was trying to say was that although SteamOS itself will likely see an ARM port, I'm not so sure about the steam client, and I think that the streaming would be more likely be built into the client and not require another piece of software. I would love if the client did eventually come to ARM though, as it would allow me to save some money on the steam streaming box I would like to make.

Somehow, I don't think everything in SteamOS will need to be ported to ARM - just the kernel and some of the key software components. The rest of the software simply communicates with the key components/kernel which then goes onto the hardware. If every part of the distribution, from kernel to packages, need to be individually ported to ARM, not even Arch will be on the Pi due to the amount of time it'd need for the port. 

Somehow, I don't think everything in SteamOS will need to be ported to ARM - just the kernel and some of the key software components. The rest of the software simply communicates with the key components/kernel which then goes onto the hardware. If every part of the distribution, from kernel to packages, need to be individually ported to ARM, not even Arch will be on the Pi due to the amount of time it'd need for the port. 

That's not what I meant. Its just that I assumed that ability to stream to SteamOS would be something that would be built into the closed source steam client, and thus to see that particular capability on the pi or other ARM devices, we would first have to see an ARM port of the steam client. I didn't mean that everything would have to be ported, just the steam client itself as I assumed that the streaming would be built into the client. 

• 2 months later...

Raspi does have a bios, but you never see it, but no doesn't have uefi,

Also the Pi runs an ARM based CPU, so everything will need to be compiled for ARM, which is trivial as most of SteamOS is what you'd find in any linux distro, and most linux distros will compile to about 10 difference architectures.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?