Help choosing a 7.1 gaming headset

Hexicate

Hey guys.

Recently I bought a Razer Tiamat 7.1. I got it from Amazon for $160 over Christmas, and it has been a good headset.

Also I just bought a Rampage V Formula and a 3770k to upgrade my rig.

Currently I'm running the Tiamat 7.1 on the Formula's on-board sound, which seems to be pretty good.

Many many times have I heard Linus complain about 7.1 true surround in headsets, as being 'fake' as the speakers are too close together to really be effective.

Should I upgrade / change to a different headset. I really enjoy having 7.1 in some shape or form so virtual 7.1 is my preference.

I was looking at Astro A40's or G930's.

Opinions?

Feel free to ask me for any advice, and I may ask for yours too. I'm an otaku. =)
Steam: hiddenshadow8

I'm not a fan of "throw more reverb at it" 7.1 virtualizers either.

nothing beats a proper headphone with great soundstage

Have you TRIED good quality normal 2.1 headset? I've tried real 7.1 and virtual 7.1. Also I have tried the Astro A40's (extensive use) and Triamat 7.1 (limited use) and I can tell you that none of those even come close to competing with my HD650, but then again those cost a lot more, but not much more when you figure in the cost of both the Tiamat and Astros.

Have you TRIED good quality normal 2.1 headset? I've tried real 7.1 and virtual 7.1. Also I have tried the Astro A40's (extensive use) and Triamat 7.1 (limited use) and I can tell you that none of those even come close to competing with my HD650, but then again those cost a lot more, but not much more when you figure in the cost of both the Tiamat and Astros.
You mean 2.0 headset?

I'm not a fan of "throw more reverb at it" 7.1 virtualizers either.

nothing beats a proper headphone with great soundstage

This

Many many times have I heard Linus complain about 7.1 true surround in headsets' date=' as being 'fake' as the speakers are too close together to really be effective. Should I upgrade / change to a different headset. I really enjoy having 7.1 in some shape or form so virtual 7.1 is my preference. I was looking at Astro A40's or G930's. Opinions? [/quote']

If you like it, why spend more money to change it? That's just Linus's opinion that your headphones are crap. Audio is in the MIND of the beholder! Don't get pressured into buying stuff you don't need because your virtual friends who don't even know what you own wouldn't approve. Trust me, it's a slippery slope.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Okay, so for now I'll hold onto my Tiamats. As I said before I'm using the on-board sound in the Rampage V Formula (ThunderFX or something). Would getting a good soundcard for 7.1 such as the Asus Xonar ROG, or the Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional improve its quality?

Feel free to ask me for any advice, and I may ask for yours too. I'm an otaku. =)

No I've never actually tried *great* quality stereo headphones before, I'll see if I can try some.

Would they be appropriate for gaming use on top of music?

The most common thing I do is play League of Legends while Pandora One is playing in the background.

7.1 is mostly unnecessary for LoL but it is nice to have if say I get ganked from the side and I can hear the enemy coming accurately. (Hopefully you can make sense of the LoL terminology).

Is there a huge difference between the sound quality of the Asus Xonar DX and the Essence STX if I used the Astro A40s?
No' date=' headphone amps will not improve your sound "quality", only drive bigger, more power hungry headphones to ear shattering volumes. Like the HD800, and DT880 600ohm version. If you have a BAD integrated sound card it may add NOISE to your signal, but that's a different problem entirely. Not to mention the 10ohm output impedance on the Essense STX will screw with the frequency response of any headphone/headset/earbuds you stick in it with an impedance under 80ohms. If you, like me, listen to your headphones at low levels, you'll see very little benefit, save the noise reduction. And there's still plenty of noise in an Essence STX. Any of my fellow STX owners, try turning up the volume on medium or high gain with no music playing. You'll hear it. Dear lord, make sure you remember to turn it back down though! [/quote']

Once again, nope, it's still the same headset. Only if you can't get your headset's volume up as much as you'd like would you actually need a dedicated amp. Maybe I should just make a post in the sticky? This is strictly heresy on head-fi, you must understand, so I'm not sure.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I personally couldn't find any benefits of going 7.1

I think you should go to a friend that has them or a local store, try them out and than you will know what you prefer... I own the ATH M50 and I'm really happy with them!

My brother prefers 7.1 headsets and he owns razer Tiamat. I personally don't like them... But I'm listening to music than gaming..

I know you've said you'll stick with your current set up, but for anyone else -

Are you wearing 'non-surround' headphones? Ok, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Do you NEED a '7.1 OMG 1337 gaming headset'? No. You brain creates virtual surround, not your overpriced gaming headset.

Also, the majority of sound cards that are 7.1 have analogue outputs (as well as an optical output). '7.1' headsets tend to use USB. A soundcard will not get you anywhere with a USB gaming headset. Calling a set of headphone with a microphone attached to them 'surround' is a gimmic.

For $160 get Audio Technica ATH-M50's and a $30 microphone, then get a soundcard when you save another $60 or so.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers