Dropbox reading your documents

James_AJ
Go to solution Solved by AndThenThereWas1,

Dropbox spokes person said

"Dropbox allows people to open and preview files from their browser. This blog post relates to backend processes that automatically create these document previews, making it easier for people to view docs within their Dropbox."

Not sure if this is the true reason, but its their response to why it gets open.

Source: update in the link provided by the author of this topic.

A little surprised but not totally.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

You're entrusting your data with a company that makes a profit from storing data. What stops them from doing things with it after giving it to them?

With that said they can have fun reading my term papers and homework assignments. I hope they enjoy them.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I agree, I can't imagine anyone here actually uploads anything that is in the slightest interest to the owners of Dropbox and / or the US Government or whoever you guys are afraid off.

You're entrusting your data with a company that makes a profit from storing data. What stops them from doing things with it after giving it to them?

With that said they can have fun reading my term papers and homework assignments. I hope they enjoy them.

Ask them to proof read them for you!

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The only problem I had was, before all this NSA crap I knew Microsoft and Google read your stuffs 100%. And there were a few articles back in the days saying that Dropbox is one of the safer solutions as they don't read your data (so naturally I thought Dropbox was actually secure and did upload stuffs that is a bit sensitive but I trusted them at the time) and I guess that have changed...

I use Copy instead of dropbox but when I signed up, I knew they would be looking at my documents. Thats why i only store school and other temporary files on there.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

lol i just have images.. of.. stuff  :ph34r:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

lol i just have images.. of.. stuff  :ph34r:

sure... "stuff" xD

sure... "stuff" xD

yea, its stuff :33 just like air is stuff, and tables are stuff :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

well, I'm not james bond, so it's still fine for me

Dropbox spokes person said

"Dropbox allows people to open and preview files from their browser. This blog post relates to backend processes that automatically create these document previews, making it easier for people to view docs within their Dropbox."

Not sure if this is the true reason, but its their response to why it gets open.

Source: update in the link provided by the author of this topic.

jokes on you I use skydrive. :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

jokes on you I use skydrive. :P

it's even worse... Come on, everyone knew Microsoft was reading their users' stuffs ages ago, even before NSA.

I don't have a problem with Dropbox reading my homework... Can't be that interesting

it's even worse... Come on, everyone knew Microsoft was reading their users' stuffs ages ago, even before NSA.

Exactly, I expect it so doesn't bother me :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Put your stuff in a passworded rar.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

dropbox spokemans said the company compile the document after it's been uploaded for faster reading when the author or a person with permission request to view there documents. So no big brother like NSA or a rep from dropbox is reading a dropbox consumer data

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)