Smoke came out of molex cable, please help

tomi1

I was trying to install an IDE hard drive with an IDE to SATA adapter, I connected everything but when I went to plug the molex cable to the hard drive, as soon as it touched the pins smoke came out. I quickly disconnected everything but now my PSU smells like burnt.

Could my hard drive have burnt my PSU? or my other components? i'm really scared right now. I don't wanna plug or try anything

It should be ok. They will spark when they initially come into contact and there is a current (you should turn of the PSU when you do these things), sort of like when you plug something into the wall.

Edit: the PSU should not smell like smoke as well. check you put the molex cable into the right slot if it is modular. Use a torch and see if there is anything going on inside the PSU.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

most likely there was a short in the molex

good thing you catch it before it burns!

if it smell burnt

it prob dead and should not be used again

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Could any of my parts (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram) have been killed? That's what i'm most afraid of. Is there any way I can test my PSU without having anything connected to it?

Could any of my parts (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram) have been killed? That's what i'm most afraid of. Is there any way I can test my PSU without having anything connected to it?

no dont connect the PSU again

it will short the house power supply

or it may blow up

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes.  remove the power supply entirely from the case, then try starting the PSU by itself with a paperclip, it's the green pin or pin 16, short that with pin 15(black)

google "atx 24 pin connector" to see the image.

obviously if it burns more or smokes or whatever stop shorting it immediately, it's toast

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

yes.  remove the power supply entirely from the case, then try starting the PSU by itself with a paperclip, it's the green pin or pin 16, short that with pin 15(black)

google "atx 24 pin connector" to see the image.

obviously if it burns more or smokes or whatever stop shorting it immediately, it's toast

Some one might need to do the legwork for him

@tomi1

The one on the left.  Ignore the right-hand diagram.

post-122698-0-37881700-1449023840.gif

Thanks for your answers. I went to a friend's house and tried my PC with his PSU. Everything is detected fine on BIOS but the PC (tried it without an HD) rebooted a couple of times with the error "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit".

I tried a couple of times and it ran fine for 15min without restarting. Couldn't actually boot into Windows though because I didn't have a  HD.

Thanks for your answers. I went to a friend's house and tried my PC with his PSU. Everything is detected fine on BIOS but the PC (tried it without an HD) rebooted a couple of times with the error "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit".

I tried a couple of times and it ran fine for 15min without restarting. Couldn't actually boot into Windows though because I didn't have a  HD.

ehh, it asus surge protection triggered with your buddy's PSU? curious, what wattage are you using on yours, and how much was his?

ehh, it asus surge protection triggered with your buddy's PSU? curious, what wattage are you using on yours, and how much was his?

Mine was 500W, his is 600W. Could that message mean the motherboard is failing because of what happened? Or does it only mean a problem with the PSU and not other component?

Mine was 500W, his is 600W. Could that message mean the motherboard is failing because of what happened? Or does it only mean a problem with the PSU and not other component?

at this point of time, pray. hopefully its just the asus utility erring on the side of caution.