I got new speakers, how do I connect them to my pc?

I got some free speakers, two optimus satelite speakers (right and left) they have a weird shape, and some klm box shaped thing that is significantly larger. All three speakers take speaker wire, so how could I attach them to my pc?

EDIT: Also will they be loud enough or will they need an amp or something, definitely not knowledgeable about audio stuffs

You might need to plug them in to something like an audio interface.

What is the name of the speakers?

you will need an amp/receiver

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I got some free speakers, two optimus satelite speakers (right and left) they have a weird shape, and some klm box shaped thing that is significantly larger. All three speakers take speaker wire, so how could I attach them to my pc?

EDIT: Also will they be loud enough or will they need an amp or something, definitely not knowledgeable about audio stuffs

Can't connect speaker wires to pc, you'd need an amp of some sort.

Try that: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=br_lf_m_1001140851_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=car&pf_rd_p=2220413722&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001140851&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HMYS6AYSF4RZCKVQTRB

Does that have speaker wire connections or will I need an adaptor or something?

You might need to plug them in to something like an audio interface.

What is the name of the speakers?

I honestly have no idea, they could very well be over 30 years old. Ones just a black box about a foot by a foot and a half that says "KLM" or "KLH" on the front, the others are about 8 inches tall and say "optimus" and have a weird curvy triangle shape

Does that have speaker wire connections or will I need an adaptor or something?

Those red/black flaps are for connecting those speaker wires to the amp, then you need to connect a rca cable to 3.5mm jack.

Those red/black flaps are for connecting those speaker wires to the amp, then you need to connect a rca cable to 3.5mm jack.

I was told the klh/m one should be used as a center channel. Would that amp let me do that?

I was told the klh/m one should be used as a center channel. Would that amp let me do that?

No, but you don't need to use a center channel for near field PC usage

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No, but you don't need to use a center channel for near field PC usage

So is there any benefit to using the klh between the two optimus ones or not? Also is it possible to build an amp?

So is there any benefit to using the klh between the two optimus ones or not? Also is it possible to build an amp?

Of course it's possible to "build and amp". Otherwise you wouldn't be able to go on Amazon and order one, would you?

There is zero benefit to a center channel for near-field, single listening position usage.

I'd get the SMSL SA-50. Binding posts are nicer to work with than tabs.

Of course it's possible to "build and amp". Otherwise you wouldn't be able to go on Amazon and order one, would you?

There is zero benefit to a center channel for near-field, single listening position usage.

I'd get the SMSL SA-50. Binding posts are nicer to work with than tabs.

I mean would it be cheaper to build one?

If you know how then sure go ahead.

If you know how then sure go ahead.

This looks kind of promising I guess

This looks kind of promising I guess

That's a headphone amp, not saying it's impossible and could be a fun project to build one but if your only goal is to save money then just get the Lepai.

Not really. How much budget do you have for this?

Not really. How much budget do you have for this?

As little as possible, when I got free speakers I was just expecting I'd have to splice speaker wire to 1/8th inch male audio jacks

As little as possible, when I got free speakers I was just expecting I'd have to splice speaker wire to 1/8th inch male audio jacks

No.

What about this? This looks like what I want and is $20 http://www.adafruit.com/product/1752

If you want a bare circuit board sitting around on your desk, go ahead.

Its a decent amp but its just a bare board. Get a boxed amp from Topping, SMSL or the likes

I feel ashamed for the audio section but everyone in this forum has just dived onto get a amp get this band wagon and forgot to ask the most important question

Are the speakers passive?
What I mean by that is do you plug a power plug into the speakers or does the power come down the same cable as the audio information.

The Dick of the audio page!

Also you may actually have some really nice speaker optimus made some really nice speakers back in the day very similar to the KLH speakers so then having one of them is not that surprising.

I feel ashamed for the audio section but everyone in this forum has just dived onto get a amp get this band wagon and forgot to ask the most important question

Are the speakers passive?
What I mean by that is do you plug a power plug into the speakers or does the power come down the same cable as the audio information.

The only connections on all three is the speaker wire black and red clips, so I guess that means they're passive.

The only connections on all three is the speaker wire black and red clips, so I guess that means they're passive.

AAAAA you will need a amplifier then. But to pick the correct one to power the speakers can be tricky since you do want to know information about the speakers.

So is there any more information about the speakers?

AAAAA you will need a amplifier then. But to pick the correct one to power the speakers can be tricky since you do want to know information about the speakers.

So is there any more information about the speakers?

Well... this looks like the klh one http://www.cnet.com/products/klh-home-theater-center-channel-speaker/

And this looks like the optimus ones

optimus___500_satellite_speakers_from_40[

They're really plain and the only label is on the optimus ones where it says "satellite speaker for 40-4055 L"