I got new speakers, how do I connect them to my pc?

People throw that statement around without knwowing the underlying reasons. For clarification: when you use an amplifier with lower output capability the output will clip earlier. Clipping is harmful because of two main reasons which I wont get in to. If both signals are clean a high power signal is more likely to blow a speaker.

Statement two: what about active speakers?

Lepai 2020a is around $20-25, SMSL SA36 is $35-$40 on eBay, SA50 I think is around $70.  Then you need a proper cable, either a 3.5 to 3.5 or a 3.5 to RCA.  I recommend the SA36, it's a lot nicer looking than the Lepai.

You could try to take apart an existing set of self powered speakers and try and rewire the internal amp to connect to the new one, but that's pointless and dangerous IMHO.

And a lot of actives use active filters which won't be suited to anything else besides the woofer/tweeter combo they're designed for.

Alright well I think I'll just get the smsl sa36 eventually.

Good choice. It's a nice little speaker amp.

That's A good choice.

You could also check out speaker amps/receivers on craigslist, you can get them dirt cheap (I got a 7.1 receiver for 15$)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."