Computer ignores GPU, obsessed with APU

Monsieuroberts
Here's the specs of my friend's PC:

q7y6mHg.png

Today, I swapped his case and was going to give him my HD 7850, replacing his old GT 420. We got the components swapped and everything, GPU installed fine, catalyst control center drivers installed...but the PC can't find the GPU. It doesn't show up in speccy, it's not recognized. It's getting power, the fans are spinning, but the computer's ignoring it. I went into the BIOS and set the preferred video settings to "PCI-E", rebooted the PC, anddddddd...nothing. It loves the APU, it won't switch to the GPU.

Not sure what has to be done. I'm a little afraid to disable the APU outright, since the PC doesn't even seem interested in acknowledging the GPU. What if I turn off all video all together? That's no good. We've updated the BIOS, but it was already up to date. I have yet to try resetting the cMOS, as I'm no longer at his house, but I can go back tomorrow.

Any advice would be appreciated!

"In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything."

"It shall be engraved upon your very soul; Nibelung Valesti!"

1. Make sure you're in the 1st slot on the motherboard

did you plug the display into the GPU?

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

"obsessed with APU" 

i am imagining a PC in a room with pics of APUs all over the walls, and it is talking to itself about APUs

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I'm about to send him the link so he can install the VGA drivers, if that's what you mean. 

If you have the display plugged into the graphics card, how is the computer using the CPU's integrated graphics?

I mean, how do you know that it is?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

did you download drivers

I'm about to send him the link so he can install the VGA drivers, if that's what you mean.

1. Make sure you're in the 1st slot on the motherboard
  2. did you plug the display into the GPU?

There is only one slot on the MoBo:

f76bc696a1.png

Every time he resets the PC to restart or to get back into the BIOS, he's making sure his displays are hooked up to the 7850. If nothing happens,. then he's going back to the MoBo so he can see what he's doing.

If you have the display plugged into the graphics card, how is the computer using the CPU's integrated graphics?

I mean, how do you know that it is?

When I was over there earlier, and we'd restart the pc with the monitors plugged into the 7850, nothing would happen. No video. Zilch. 7850's fans were spinning, it was fully inserted, same with its power cable, a 6 pin, and we tried a 6+2 pin at one point, but it wouldn't output video. So we'd go back to the MoBo, and the APU would give us video.

We installed CCC too, a default version, and then one hand-picked off AMD's site for the 7850, in-case it needed the CCC to be installed already for drivers or something; No dice.

The big thing is that when I would, say, right-click the CCC tray menu icon, there was no detected 7850. When I'd go into Speccy, it didn't see the 7850. I'd go into the BIOS and set the MoBo to look to a PCI-E device for video instead of integrated or on-board or whatever it said, and it'sl ike the MoBo just passive-agressively ignored my request and went straight to the APU. Why, I wonder? The 7850 is installed, it's all the way in, it's powered, the fans are spinning. 

Why does this computer love the APU and hate the GPU?

The big thing is that when I would, say, right-click the CCC tray menu icon, there was no detected 7850. When I'd go into Speccy, it didn't see the 7850. I'd go into the BIOS and set the MoBo to look to a PCI-E device for video instead of integrated or on-board or whatever it said, and it'sl ike the MoBo just passive-agressively ignored my request and went straight to the APU. Why, I wonder? The 7850 is installed, it's all the way in, it's powered, the fans are spinning. 

Why does this computer love the APU and hate the GPU?

Download GPU-Z and post the screenshot with the 7850 plugged in.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

When I was over there earlier, and we'd restart the pc with the monitors plugged into the 7850, nothing would happen. No video. Zilch. 7850's fans were spinning, it was fully inserted, same with its power cable, a 6 pin, and we tried a 6+2 pin at one point, but it wouldn't output video. So we'd go back to the MoBo, and the APU would give us video.

We installed CCC too, a default version, and then one hand-picked off AMD's site for the 7850, in-case it needed the CCC to be installed already for drivers or something; No dice.

What is the PSU?

What is the PSU?

It's an 850w thing from XFX, non-modular. I don't know the exact model number, not at his house.

Download GPU-Z and post the screenshot with the 7850 plugged in.

He's downloading it now

Here it is: 

dws.png

Here it is: 

dws.png

Hit the arrow in the bottom left corner, also a Screenshot of Device Manager.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Hit the arrow in the bottom left corner, also a Screenshot of Device Manager.

He says there's nothing else in that drop down menu. He's grabbing a SS of his device manager now. Says there's no 7850, but I told him to do it anyway.

Seems to me like the 7850 doesn't exist in the PC's mind.

Are the internal graphics disabled in the BIOS. I've heard that the internal graphics actually heats up the APU more

Also, try resetting the mother board (cmos)

If nothing else works, try calling up AMD.

A strange thing, and I am unsure if it has already been answered, its 1.30AM in UK so yeah :P

Check the BIOS for the GPU boot order, is iGPU set first, is the PEG device setup correctly?

I have had that before

Also is the CPU under load there? I see a rather high temp amount.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Are the internal graphics disabled in the BIOS. I've heard that the internal graphics actually heats up the APU more

Also, try resetting the mother board (cmos)

If nothing else works, try calling up AMD.

I don't believe they are, no. Like I said in the OP, I'm afraid that if he disables them and the 7850 still won't be recognized, he'll be left with nothing. Also, I'm not sure he's confident enough to reset the CMOS without me there, not completely computer-literate, little nervous.

Here's the SS of Device Manager. As you can see, no 7850.

70cada50af.png

A strange thing, and I am unsure if it has already been answered, its 1.30AM in UK so yeah :P

Check the BIOS for the GPU boot order, is iGPU set first, is the PEG device setup correctly?

I have had that before

I'll have him make double-sure that it's looking for a PCI-E device first. PEG device? I'm not sure what that is.

On the plan B route, will calling AMD actually lead to a solution? I'm okay with doing that tomorrow if I can't get it figured out tonight.

e3a1a5cbe5.png

Welp.

On the plan B route, will calling AMD actually lead to a solution? I'm okay with doing that tomorrow if I can't get it figured out tonight.

Has the 7850 been confirmed working?

Has the 7850 been confirmed working?

I was using it about a week and a half ago, no notable issues.