Australian metadata collection to begin October 13.

Muz

From Tuesday we will be paying a personal price for hunting down terrorists with the start of retention and extended storage of the metadata of every message we send.

On that day a big chunk of the privacy we expect for our most personal communications will be sacrificed amid growing concerns about domestic terrorism.

It will be just over a week since the shooting of unarmed civilian Police worker Curtis Cheng in Parramatta which intensified those concerns.

A number of restrictions were placed on the data retention to get legislation passed earlier in the year and Attorney-General George Brandis is making specific guarantees:

• There will be significant limits on who can get access to the information;

• The system and its use will be monitored independently by the Commonwealth Ombudsman;

• The Attorney-General’s Department will publicly report on the operation each year;

• ASIO and police will need special warrants before getting data from the communications of journalists which might identify confidential sources, and Public Interest Advocates would make submissions on these warrants;

• The scheme will be reviewed by a parliamentary inquiry after three years.

A good thing this source points out is that whistle blowers and journalists with be the most affected.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/metadata-laws-to-be-introduced-on-tuesday-but-there-are-still-some-unanswered-questions/story-fn5j66db-1227561529736

Despite the government not targeting illegal downloaders, companies can still gain access to your metadata though the courts. Now this isn't anything new, we have known for a while this was coming, but had all seemed to forget about it. I'm not sure about you but I really like muh privacies, even though it's only metadata.

Time to get the VPN's out bois.

Original post: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/464378-friendly-reminder-data-collection-starts-oct-13

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

FFS -_- time to get a pi and start using tor and tails, i was hoping for my isp (iinet) to give a shit but now TPG owns it i doubt they will.

companies would need to prove that it is you though...

Telenor here in Norway, during the TPB trails, told all hollywood movie makers to shove it unless they have concrete proof.... now that is just an ISP refusing to play ball. But yeah. Companies really need to have proof, and privacy concerns are really heavy stuff. So if companies were to get access to your data, they would have to prove that you are directly hurting their sales. Not just "potential profit"

companies would need to prove that it is you though...

Telenor here in Norway, during the TPB trails, told all hollywood movie makers to shove it unless they have concrete proof.... now that is just an ISP refusing to play ball. But yeah. Companies really need to have proof, and privacy concerns are really heavy stuff. So if companies were to get access to your data, they would have to prove that you are directly hurting their sales. Not just "potential profit"

I do believe there's already a system here in AUS, if you're caught pirating, you'll receive a letter, once you get 3 the companies can sue you. Metadata just makes it easier to see you're pirating therefor you'll probably get letters more often if you're pirating now.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

VPNs ahoy. RIP aussies though, your 'net is already bad enough.

VPNs ahoy. RIP aussies though, your 'net is already bad enough.

Too poor for a decent VPN.

I do believe there's already a system here in AUS, if you're caught pirating, you'll receive a letter, once you get 3 the companies can sue you. Metadata just makes it easier to see you're pirating therefor you'll probably get letters more often if you're pirating now.

metadata is also a matter of privacy and in any country, access is extremely restricted, except in the US, China, North Korea and Russia...

A company wouldnt easily be given "permission to tap your phone" because you were using it to stream music to your friend(s) illegally. The same applies with internet data. No company will get access to this data PRIOR to being in a lawsuit. Even then, it is NOT easy for any company to obtain personal data through governmen agencies.

Unless you live in a facist state (or the US, China, Russia or North Korea), then obtaining your data will require the company to PROVE you are directly measurably hurting their sales.

For you to hurt their sales you would have to be RUNNING a torrent site, or hosting a server and or web service for a torrent site and or run a site that distributes traffic directly to sites spreading copyrighted material.

You should be ten times more afraid of your ISP then this data collection. Your ISP is more likely to sell you out then the government is. After all, the government does not want you in jail or in grave debt.

Citizens in debt = less taxes

Citizens in jail = expenses

Citizens working, not in debt, not in jail = taxes

taxes = big fat lambo once the annual bonus comes around

big fat lambo = government happy

I'm not sure about you but I really like muh privacies, even though it's only metadata.

A lot can be extrapolated from "only metadata".

A lot can be extrapolated from "only metadata".

They can't access the content, just the IP you accessed. So it's not as bad as it sounds but definitely something I don't want in this country.