Poor performance in BFBC2

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Still dont know what is causing the issue but i found a solution.

If i tab in and out a couple of times i get the ~80fps that i get in multiplayer.

But if i go into a loading screen or if i restart the game it comes back.

Any thoughts on what it is?

@don_svetlio @Dr_Nooberious @dark_xzyph3r

The poor performance is only in singleplayer. (Multiplayer plays fine at ~80fps with no changes done to settings).

FPS is around 10-15

Cut scenes may go up to 20-40fps

GPU Usage is at a steady 30%

CPU Usage is inconsistent, between 60-90% but mostly in the 70-80%

GPU memory and core clock speeds have no fluctuations.

CPU temps are at a steady 55*C

GPU temps are at a steady 45*C

RAM Usage is around 3,9GB (I got 8GB)

Antivirus is not present

Specs:

GPU: GTX 670

CPU: i5 3350P

RAM: 8GB

Bad Company 2 uses only 2 cores IIRC - what settings are you using?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The poor performance is only in singleplayer. (Multiplayer plays fine at ~80fps with no changes done to settings).

FPS is around 10-15

Antivirus is not present

Specs:

do you change settings when going from singleplayer to multiplayer ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

according to this your pc should run BFBC2 with smoothly even at ultra details: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=504&game=Battlefield+Bad+Company+2&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i5-3350P+3.1GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+670&ram=8&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

Do you do regular maintenance on your PC? simply cleaning things can dramatically increase performance.

according to this your pc should run BFBC2 with smoothly even at ultra details: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=504&game=Battlefield+Bad+Company+2&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i5-3350P+3.1GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+670&ram=8&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

Do you do regular maintenance on your PC? simply cleaning things can dramatically increase performance.

Yes i cleaned it, even changed thermal paste on the GPU.

do you change settings when going from singleplayer to multiplayer ?

nope

Bad Company 2 uses only 2 cores IIRC - what settings are you using?

4x msaa

HBAO on

Other settings are on high

4x msaa

HBAO on

Other settings are on high

4x MSAA and HBAO is a lot - not sure if our grade of cards can handle it easily

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yes i cleaned it, even changed thermal paste on the GPU.

I am referring to software maintenance.

disk defrag - http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

cleaning - http://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php

As well as getting an antivirus (avast free anti-virus) and anti-malware - https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ to make sure that nothing nasty is ruining your PC experience.

I am referring to software maintenance.

disk defrag - http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

cleaning - http://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php

As well as getting an antivirus (avast free anti-virus) and anti-malware - https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ to make sure that nothing nasty is ruining your PC experience.

Thanks for the links but my PC is clean both physically and digitally.

I did a complete windows reinstall not to long ago and my other games are running fine.

I also use malwarebytes from time to time.

FPS is around 10-15

Antivirus is not present

Specs:

That is weird, i get about 90 FPS constant with Ultra settings (Everything maxed) and I have a Xeon X3440 and a Radeon HD 7850

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Thanks for the links but my PC is clean both physically and digitally.

I did a complete windows reinstall not to long ago and my other games are running fine.

I also use malwarebytes from time to time.

I like helping people :) but I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.

Did you download the latest drivers for your GPU and have BFBC2 updated to the latest version?

I highly recommend that you install an anti-virus to go with your anti-malware for complete security otherwise there are big security risks.

Did you download the latest drivers for your GPU and have BFBC2 updated to the latest version?

Graphics driver is up to date but i havent checked if the game is updated...

ill come back shortly

I highly recommend that you install an anti-virus to go with your anti-malware for complete security otherwise there are big security risks.

Game is up to date

At what speed is your RAM running at?

Some games needs faster RAM to work well with your GPU.

At what speed is your RAM running at?

Some games needs faster RAM to work well with your GPU.

666mhz

#sohighspeed :(

Im gonna keep trying to fix this issue tomorrow

666mhz

Im gonna keep trying to fix this issue tomorrow

There is your bottleneck. By Ram that is affordable while being Fast like 2133Mhz or so.

There is your bottleneck. By Ram that is affordable while being Fast like 2133Mhz or so.

That's not his issue >.>

Do you even know how RAM works?

DDR3 666 is actually 1333 RAM and 2133 RAM is 0.8 FPS faster in games >.>

666mhz

Your RAM is fine - don't listen to people telling you otherwise. if my DDR3 800 is fine, then yours is also fine

That's not his issue >.>

Do you even know how RAM works?

DDR3 666 is actually 1333 RAM and 2133 RAM is 0.8 FPS faster in games >.>

Your RAM is fine - don't listen to people telling you otherwise. if my DDR3 800 is fine, then yours is also fine

I mean no offence but from my research, there are some games that really benefit from faster RAM. I personally like 2133Mhz RAM because any faster and the latency of the RAM negates it speed.

However I just reread the original post and now I think the problem is with the game itself. From 80+- fps in multiplayer to 10 - 15 in single player, that is way weird.

Are there any graphics setting changes between single and multiplayer? Also try giving BFBC2 high priority in task manager.

Hope this helps.

I mean no offence but from my research, there are some games that really benefit from faster RAM. I personally like 2133Mhz RAM because any faster and the latency of the RAM negates it speed.

However I just reread the original post and now I think the problem is with the game itself. From 80+- fps in multiplayer to 10 - 15 in single player, that is way weird.

Are there any graphics setting changes between single and multiplayer? Also try giving BFBC2 high priority in task manager.

Hope this helps.

Games don't really benefit from faster ram unless you are using it for a ram disk or using an APU or iGPU I run 1333 ram and it performs just as well as 2400 ram

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Hope this helps.

The RAM speed only matters when using integrated graphics on intel CPUs or AMD APUs - there it makes a big difference

If you, however, have a discrete graphics card - it uses it's own MUCH faster memory with bandwidth tens of times larger.

Linus did a video about RAM speeds - the difference between DDR3 1333MHz and DDR3 2400 MHz was 1.2 fps in games. Within the margin of error.

DDR2, however, is another story. If he were using DDR2 then that might be a bottleneck. partially.

i5 2**** and up, though, use DDR3 and DDR3 only so it's safe to say he's fine.

If i tab in and out a couple of times i get the ~80fps that i get in multiplayer.

100% the game's fault. Your hardware is fine. And my expertise ends here :/

100% the game's fault. Your hardware is fine. And my expertise ends here :/

agreed. game's fault.