Is An SSD worth the money?

Jeroen1322

Hi guys! 

I was wondering if i should buy an SSD? I only want to use it for my OS and other things are going to be storred on my HDD.

The cheapest SSD i found with a decent amount of storage was the: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB for 32 euro's (42,79 USD).

Is it any good and is it worth the money?

Thanks! :) 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

SSD's are completely worth it especially for your OS.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Samsung 840 is better than any other SSD. Get at least a 60 gig model though

Any yes, they are worth it, they make your OS a lot faster.

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

Its a cache drive so not sure if it will work fine if you put an OS on it. I would go with a Crucial M4 64GB imo. SSDs help decrease the boot times and make applications/games load faster.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hi guys! 

Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB for 32 euro's (42,79 USD).

Is it any good and is it worth the money?

You can get 120GB for twice the money : /

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Now they are.  But make sure the r/w is 500mb/s or you'll lose some performance. or get two cheap 32GB ssd's and do raid 0, I think I'm onto something...

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Yes , but don't get that SSD tho , get a Samsung 840 120GB SSD or if you want to cheap out Crucial M4 64GB (or 128GB)

Interested in Business and Technology

Now they are.  But make sure the r/w is 500mb/s or you'll lose some performance. or get two cheap 32GB ssd's and do raid 0, I think I'm onto something...

Sequential read/writes don't really matter. It's the random read speed and memory controller that makes a ssd feel fast.

It's worth the money but don't get that ssd. It's quite bad compared to other options available. 

Save up a bit more and get a Samsung 840 120GB or a Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I see your from the neterlands like me ( Hoi koop dit i.p.v. die ssd die je nu hebt gekozen)

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/163260/samsung-840-series-120gb-basic

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/120455/crucial-m4-64gb

:)

wel super duur :\

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

wel super duur :\

Valt reuze mee vroeger waren ze 200 euro+ , en wat je eroor terugkrijgt in mijn ogen is het meer dan waard.

Interested in Business and Technology

Only english please :)

Sorry! :) 

Yes! Especially for the OS and any programs, like Photoshop or any from Autodesk, that take forever to load.  If you see a SSD on sale, get it! 

An SSD is arguably the most noticeable change you can make to your computer ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Do you mostly leave your computer on all the time OP ?  If so then no don't get one.

Do you like a hard drive that is guaranteed to die after using it a certain way a certain amount of time ?  If not then don't get one.

Are you strictly a gamer ?  If so then no as there are better things to invest in.

I am still anti-SSD and for good reason in some situations.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

For faster boot up, its overkill. Why? People underestimate Windows 8, and a 7200RPM hard drive...

But for windows 7, go for it.

For performance, not everyone really needs the performance. But for your OS for better reliability, I would say get it.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I am stuggling with the same question. It seems hard to justify paying 100 dollars for a couple of seconds saved whenever I turn on my computer (which is probably once every 2 days). And I don't use any big programs on my computer either. Could somebody please tell me if there are any other benefits of having an SSD that I don't know of. I would like to be able to justify it. Thanks.

I am stuggling with the same question. It seems hard to justify paying 100 dollars for a couple of seconds saved whenever I turn on my computer (which is probably once every 2 days). And I don't use any big programs on my computer either. Could somebody please tell me if there are any other benefits of having an SSD that I don't know of. I would like to be able to justify it. Thanks.

Do you want your computer to "feel" quick?

Because that is what a SSD does, you click on something and its there.

It is IMO the most noticeable upgrade for any PC.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I will probably just get a 64GB one. With my current hard drive being pretty old and 5200rpm, things aren't very snappy. Would 64GB be enough for OS and a few general things? and do you have any specific recommendations or would just sticking with any samsung/crucial/ocz be a safe bet.

Undoubtably.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900