Intel "Skylake" 6700K Overclocking Guide

Thanks Nick :D

What case is that system built in?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Thanks Nick :D

What case is that system built in?

Coolermaster Mastercase (Pro) 5

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Coolermaster Mastercase (Pro) 5

Sweet! Thanks :D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Hey, just a heads up the song in the intro is actually "War (F.O.o.L & Didrick Remix) - Astronaut & Far Too Loud"  Instead of the usual  Laszlo - Supernova :P 

You are indeed correct. Had it included, just not in the right spot :P

Updated.

You are indeed correct. Had it included, just not in the right spot :P

Updated.

And to add to that:

song's video link does not seem to go to the song, instead to an album mix, which does not actually contain the song.

link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6yQQgKyDtE

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K (4GHz x 4 cores/8 threads);

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1333MHz; 

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0; 

MB: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1; 

Storage: 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Vessel links are like my cryptonyte right now :wacko:

Details separate people.

Wow, I am impressed! 

This video really shows your potential as a video-creator studio! Your videos usually are relatively professional and high quality, but this beats anything that you have produced before! 

The lightning is beautiful and the new set really makes Linus look way crisper and stand a bit more out from the background. The image quality appears to be WAY, WAY better than anything you have done before. The b-roll is also very impressive and outdoes any of your previous content, imo.

Your new animations really sets the feel and level of professionalism when it comes to the actual content creation. It is a very, very good touch that I would love to see more often in your daily videos.

I also want to give a lot of kudos to the one that wrote the script for this video. Though I like your silly jokes and informalness, it tends to be a bit much at times. This video is straight to the point and gives the viewer a lot of information without having to navigate through a sea of jokes. Very, very good job!

I really, really hope this is the quality we will see from your channel from now on. Short videos that obviously was thrown together as fast as possible makes me loose interest as a viewer, but this really took you up a notch! VERY good job guys! This video makes you look like a professional technology show rather than an informal Youtube channel that makes videos about tech. 

Keep it up!

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Are we going to be seeing an 6600k overclocking guide as well? Or will this be the only one?

Btw, very well done video. Super techy Linus is always great, edits were really well done, and lord jesus that intro was cool

The annotations in the video open the Video in a new tab (with time stamps) instead of the same tab which would just cause the player to fast forward/back to the given time.

I was wondering.

The first OC was @ 4.7Ghz (47*100)

The second was @ 4.6Ghz (23*200)

Did you guys do any benchmarks? was there a noticeable difference in speed because of the different type of overclock?

Love the set. I was so worried once you got rid of the kitchen that the new set would be a green screen. I love the personality of having something there in the background.

Also, the lighting is really refreshing. Not overly-lit, not too dark. Quite light, almost natural, light.

another utility to use for Intel CPUs would be (from the manufacturer of the Intel CPU)

the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU). complete with temperature monitoring, stress

testing and benchmarking all for FREE.

can be used for windows CPU tuning, once you have a stable system, then transfer

the settings to your UEFI and now enjoy all the free bells and whistles.

A bit misleading regarding Prime95.  Prime95 only causes problems from Haswell onwards IF the voltage mode is set to Offset.  Manual voltage will not cause any problem with P95 stress testing.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

A bit misleading regarding Prime95. Prime95 only causes problems from Haswell onwards IF the voltage mode is set to Offset. Manual voltage will not cause any problem with P95 stress testing.

The older versions of prime95 like v26 and older this is true.

Prime95 v28 and newer can run very hot even on fixed vcore at 1.3v +. 90c on a custom loop delided on small p95 28.5 is just torture for no reason when there are other cooler tests just as good.

If your running a conservative vcore 1.25v and less p95 is fine though.

It also depends on settings the latest prime95 set to custom and 1344, 1344, 6500mb and temps are similar to x264.

The older versions of prime95 like v26 and older this is true.

Prime95 v28 and newer can run very hot even on fixed vcore at 1.3v +. 90c on a custom loop delided on small p95 28.5 is just torture for no reason when there are other cooler tests just as good.

If your running a conservative vcore 1.25v and less p95 is fine though.

It also depends on settings the latest prime95 set to custom and 1344, 1344, 6500mb and temps are similar to x264.

P95 is used not so much for the heat but for it's real data tests that it runs to produce the heat.  There's a reason why P95 validation is widely accepted only at 24 hour runs cos that's how long it takes to do the tests on average, running through every data set size that can be run on the CPU.  Haven't had the need to do any validation tests in awhile, but good to know v28 still works fine.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Claryn points out a lot of nice positives that I agree with. The lighting was the most visually striking change to me (Linus' teeth looked so white, too  :D), and the script and pace of the video was rather excellent for this Guide, with plenty of resources and advice to further delve into. Well done, I'll be back for more.

Updated desired build

I've been told that the skylake processor is mainly for gaming. It's not best for video editing. What is your opinion?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick! 

Can you do the test render on this i7 6700k Processor? 

Im confused what processor to buy for rendering. Can you give me some advice about choosing the best processor that takes less time to render, and its a reasonable price. Of course im prefer the cheaper one. but its all about performance and 'time'. =D.

Thanks! really appreciate for your cooperation. =) 

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon: http://geni.us/Cmv

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1NR2c44

How can you get the most out of your new Intel Skylake CPU?

https://www.vessel.com/videos/OjS4Bp5kU

What graphics card was used? doing a build that is pretty much the same just skeptical on my 650w power supply for 6700k and 980ti. If you dont know what card was used do you think 650w is good enough for a bit of an overclock?