Windows 10.... Is it good?

PhilMoreJenkinz

I have been using windows 10 for a bit now, and so far.....

It's pretty sweet.

It's basically the child of windows 7 and 8. It has that windows 8 look, but that windows 7 feel. I will admit, it has it's issues, like some of the apps' sound. Yeah, no, it sounds like a dying signal coming from the mars rover that teliported to pluto mid transmission...

It's either a hardware bug, or its the OS's problem.

But, it has its upsides, cortana is quite good, although I can't use my mic cuz it dead, and it isnt a hardware issue, its been dead for a while. But, I wish there was an option toi collapse her, and make it just an icon. If thats an option, I'd like to know.

Heres my system, An HP ENVY DV7 with the AMD A8, 4500m, and 4GBs of ram. With a hitachi 500GB HDD.

Not the best, but I've seen worse, and I've owned worse. But, It runs the 10, and does it well. 
Gaming on 10 is, actually quite well, I use edge JUST to draw all over my weppage, it's quite entertaining actally. And, oh the multitasking, OH it's awesome! The little button, and all your open things are right there. It's quite nice.

Then there's the tablet mode, its good if you have a touch screen, at least its there right?

AND NOW, my dislikes, lets start off, on the setup. The FIRST setup stages, where you can choose express setings or not. Choose the custom setings, you will want to, some of the options you will WANT to change. Some get into your personal stuff, and i don't want that, no sir ree.

Also,

Why is it that when you get windows 10 setup for the first time, it COMPLETLY "de-activates" your passwords. Supposedly for "ease of access". Um, no, i set a password for a reason system, why it gone? I figured out where it was though, and its now on. But check that. Dont want a kid playing happywheels on your 10 grand gaming rig and it crash from stupid little viruses and such. So, mhm.

Also, apps run in the background, and you have to force close them in task manager, thats why it sucks up so much ram and such.

Yeah, it's a good OS, has its early flaws, but it hopefully will get fixed. And it probably will, so

Thats that topic....

Nothing is perfect, however you can post feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback app in Windows 10, and Microsoft will consider it, and if people are really interested to up vote your feedback, it might even come true.

We've seen a lot of these threads. 

tumblr_lmw205I5B91qacnfuo1_500.gif

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

yes

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Also, apps run in the background, and you have to force close them in task manager, thats why it sucks up so much ram and such.

In case you don't know

System > Privacy > Background Apps.

Put everything on OFF. They have no reason to every be run at all time. Especially the ones you don't even use anyway. (And those you do use, like say, Weather, will work just fine even if it's OFF)

But yes, so far I think it's good.

On my tablet (touchscreen, no keyboard or mouse), it is a LOT better than Windows 8.1, because of Tablet mode. I no longer need to press the keyboard button at the bottom of the screen to write something, the virtual keyboard now shows up automatically, as it should, this is great! (Why this was even a thing in Windows 8/8.1 is beyond me)

And if I don't want to use tablet mode with everything in fullscreen, there's also a feature to make the virtual keyboard show up automatically even in Desktop mode!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

According to %75 my clients, "We do not want to downgrade to Windows 10 from our current Debian 8 Jessie install"

Yes, the majority of my clients use Debian, openSUSE, or CentOS

i love win10! its got a few issues, but ill try to address some of the ones you mentioned.

it sounds like a dying signal coming from the mars rover that teliported to pluto mid transmission...

ive never heard that, but i removed all the preinstalled apps, so that could be why

I wish there was an option toi collapse her, and make it just an icon. If thats an option, I'd like to know.

there is, right click on the search bar and click 'show cortana icon' its the first thing i did

Why is it that when you get windows 10 setup for the first time, it COMPLETLY "de-activates" your passwords. Supposedly for "ease of access". Um, no, i set a password for a reason system, why it gone?

no idea what you're talking about here... i have to log in every time i turn on my computer. unless you mean just the very first time after you upgrade? that would be because you have to setup the user account before you can password it. but that shouldnt be a big deal after you set it again.

thats why it sucks up so much ram and such.

win10 has memory leak issues, and not just from background apps.  i believe its related to ntoskrnl.exe and Runtime Broker. probably a few other things too

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

No, wouldn't recommend it. I upgraded from 8.1 and downgraded right back after a few days.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

It's pretty great!

No problems experienced.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

According to %75 my clients, "We do not want to downgrade to Windows 10 from our current Debian 8 Jessie install"

Yes, the majority of my clients use Debian, openSUSE, or CentOS

Most people who run Linux in the first place are very passionate about FOSS so I wouldn't expect them to go to the other offering no matter how good it is or isn't.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Most people who run Linux in the first place are very passionate about FOSS so I wouldn't expect them to go to the other offering no matter how good it is or isn't.

Yes, I work with schools, who will switch system at the drop of a hat.

Also, my clients are running FOSS, which doesn't mean anything.

I cant wait to use win 10 :)

If only i didnt have to install all my crap and custpmize everything all over again, the paaaaaaaaain is real.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE