ALL NVidia GTX 670 drivers compared (2012 --> 2015)

Keystone Nyan Cat

[sCROLL DOWN TO SEE DRIVER COMPARISON GRAPHS]

I have been an owner of the GTX 670 since 2012. I’ve read numerous claims from people stating that new drivers have led to reduced performance, but all of them were one off cases. Nonetheless, I remained curious, and over the past few days, have put these claims to the test by comparing five AAA games, each using a different game engine.

(Please note the data values on the Y-axis)

The data collected is the average frames per second for a given play through. I urge you to draw your own conclusions with the given data; below is my interpretation.

All the tested games have had a net improvement in performance over time, even after their end of life and introduction of a new series of cards.

1. In Dirt 3, I was concerned with 353.06’s performance, which is almost 10 FPS lower than the preceding driver, 350.12; this is corrected with 353.06 though.
  2. Just Cause 2 had a consistent improvement in performance after 344.89, which may have to do with the release of the multiplayer mod during that time (see table), increasing the player base. Just Cause 2 has had an almost 25 FPS increase from its lowest performance in 301.42 and its best performance in 347.88.
  3. Battlefield 3 had a ~5 FPS boost from its first driver to the time leading to the 700 series launch
  4. Sleeping Dogs, and Crysis 2 have had no major performance improvement or degradation

The data does not account for added features such as ShadowPlay, or for support for newer games and performance enhancing improvements such as the capability for running SLI when using older hardware which may improve the driver in people's view

Below are the settings used for each of the tests, along with the in game mission/ benchmark which I used for gathering the average frames per second.

1. Battlefield 3
               Preset: Ultra
               Mission: Going Hunting
               FOV: 70
               Motion Blur: 0
               Stop benchmark 5-6 seconds after first enemy fires at you
  2. Crysis 2
               Preset: Ultra     
               Mission: A Walk in the Park        
               Motion Blur: Low            
               When spawned; walk on the pathway, looking only straight on. Use armor mode with   the rifle equipped to take down the first   enemy; and invisibility with a shotgun to take down the other two. Walk up to the garden with the cloak, and pan from left to right    and then end the benchmark
  3. Dirt 3
          Preset: Ultra (no AA)     
          Mission: Benchmark (8 people rally in Aspen, 3rd
    person view)
  4. Just Cause 2
               Preset: Ultra (no AA; Bohek Filter Off)
               Mission: Benchmark (Concrete Jungle)
  5. Sleeping Dogs
               Preset: Extreme
               Mission: Benchmark

Here’s the procedure I followed for removing and installing a driver

1. Uninstall the driver in “Programs and Features”
  2. Restart the system as prompted
  3. Delete the NVidia folder in the c:// folder
  4. Install the new driver (deselect everything else such as PhysX, HD Audio, GeForce Experience)
  5. Restart the system as prompted
  6. In NVidia Control Panel,
    change only the following V-Sync option à
    “Use the 3D application setting” à “Off”
    If the time taken for the drop down menu under V-Sync takes over 40 seconds to open during which time the NVidia control panel freezes, the menu is denoted “laggy”, if it responds instantly, it’s denoted “responsive”

Miscellaneous

1. During testing, the GTX 670 stayed under 70 C in a temperature controlled environment of 21 C
  2. All tests were conducted offline
  3. 3DMark could not be tested because it cannot start offline
  4. Crysis 3 was omitted since during cut scenes, the frame rate exceeded 1000 frames per second
  5. Dying Light and Battlefield 4 are fairly new, the range of drivers to test them from would be small, hence these games were omitted
  6. I was initially testing two 670s in SLI under maximize 3D performance on a resolution of 5760x1080. However, I soon realized that not many people would have a setup consisting of three screens, hence opted for a single 1080p panel. However, SLI on a single screen caused purple flickering in all tested games; something which I could not find a solution to. Unfortunately, I ruled out several games such as BioShock Infinite and Arkham City to this; a problem solved by using only a single GPU. I did not revisit these games for testing when using a single card. Should I do this test in the future again with another card, I will bear this in mind.
  7. Certain games such as Dying Light crashed when FRAPS was being used to record the frames per second.
  8. At the time of running the tests, the only applications running in the background were Microsoft Security Essentials (for all), MSI Afterburner (for all), and, FRAPS (when testing Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3)

All tests were run on the following setup-

• Intel i7 3770K
  • ASUS P8Z77-V-Pro
  • Zotac GTX 670 (Reference)
  • Corsair HX850
  • Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
  • Corsair Force 3 SSD for the OS
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • 2x WD1003ABYX RE4 HDDs in RAID 0 for the games
  • Acer S221HQL (1920X1080)         

[i appear to have forgotten to make the table; I'll add that tomorrow morning (it's 3 in the morning right now!) :P ]

post-14430-0-95632400-1440626244.jpg

post-14430-0-55241500-1440626250.jpg

post-14430-0-53152000-1440626255.jpg

post-14430-0-45944700-1440626260.jpg

post-14430-0-64998800-1440626264.jpg

post-14430-0-20838100-1440626268.jpg

post-14430-0-77959700-1440626271.jpg

post-14430-0-97329800-1440626274.jpg

post-14430-0-63464000-1440626278.jpg

post-14430-0-78360600-1440626282.jpg

post-14430-0-44695700-1440628805_thumb.j

Edited by Keystone Nyan Cat
Hmm... For some reason, the same graphs had been added twice. Removed duplicate graphs.

PC in Profile

Good post

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Wow! Awesome! 

wow! nice job on the post! very clean  

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Wow, a lot of effort went into this

im-chuck-norris-and-i-approve-this-messa

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Really nice post!

It looks very similar to the GTX 480 results linus showed on the video, where in some games there is little to no difference, but on many titles there is an actual improvement over time with driver maturity!

Well done.

How long did it take to do all those graphs and testing?

Btw.: NVidia Fanboy. You didn't include an AMD card...  ;) 

Great post! :)

Yay, so this means I can safely update the drivers of my GTX 680 :D (something I haven't done since I built this computer, 1 and a half years ago...  :ph34r: ).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Well done.

How long did it take to do all those graphs and testing?

Btw.: NVidia Fanboy. You didn't include an AMD card...  ;) 

Neither did linus to be fair.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Neither did linus to be fair.

Oh god damn... Someone had to ruin the joke...  -_- 

Some people were crying about Linus' review, because they sad it was biased because he didn't include an AMD card.

That's why I was referring to it as a joke.

Obviously non of them are fanboys or anything like that.  ;)

Oh god damn... Someone had to ruin the joke...  -_- 

Some people were crying about Linus' review, because they sad it was biased because he didn't include an AMD card.

That's why I was referring to it as a joke.

Obviously non of them are fanboys or anything like that.  ;)

oh im an amd fanboy alright just not their gpus as ive only ever had one and it was a cheapo low end card in a stock hp pc.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

oh im an amd fanboy alright just not their gpus as ive only ever had one and it was a cheapo low end card in a stock hp pc.

Do you even read? Do you even have eyes?  :blink: 

How the hell can you even think that I called you an AMD fanboy? WTF QQ 

Do you even read? Do you even have eyes?  :blink: 

How the hell can you even think that I called you an AMD fanboy? WTF QQ 

never claimed you did xD. just pointed out that its not entirely fanboys crying over the amd card not being shown as well, because im one and couldnt care less xD.

@Swndlr @ @FatPenguin @CydiaDash @ForsakenLive @Senzelian Thanks for all the kind words! :)

@Senzelian Around 4 hours before testing trying to get things working; then 25 minutes per test (around 14 hours testing); and then 4-5 hours making the graphs (this does not include breaks) :P:D Haha, yup, sorry about that; I'll be sure to include one if I do something like this again.

@TomvanWijnen Thanks! I'm glad I could help 

Edit- I've added the table as well

PC in Profile

never claimed you did xD. just pointed out that its not entirely fanboys crying over the amd card not being shown as well, because im one and couldnt care less xD.

Alright...  :wacko:

This is my first time tagging someone to look at something, but I feel this definitely deserves the attention @LinusTech and @Slick 

To the OP- I've been speculating that Nvidias been sabotaging newer drivers for older cards. This puts these thoughts to a rest, and is really detailed. Thank you for sharing it!  :)  ;)

I don't really game anymore, so this isn't very relevant for me. But I really like how

you did the plots (full version to see the changes in relation to the absolute values,

then cropped with emphasis on the differences between the chances), and the documentation

of methodology. Nice work IMHO! thumb.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Gratz on the sticky!

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Still rocking a 670 FTW. Loud whining from the fan, very high pitched electrical whine. Goes away when I put my finger on the fan to stop it. I think it's time to upgrade to a 980 TI but waiting for a nice deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Misunderstood the graphs a little at first. Lots of work done here. Well done.

Though funny enough, there are quite a few performance dips throughout the testing.

Wonder if its just how things turned out

Next up, GameWorks titles please:)

There's a similar post to yours on Overclock.net with the same conclusion. There is also an article over at hardware canucks with a similar conclusion.

If you test an AMD card, you will see a continual boost in performance over time. That's why an R9 290x, which lost handily to a GTX 780 Ti now, is within 6% of it on avg (winning and losing): http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70125-gtx-780-ti-vs-r9-290x-rematch.html

It's not so much a driver thing as it is an architecture thing. As new games are released, AMD cards mature better. This has to do with the gradual shift from Graphics to Compute, over time, in titles. We'll see this even more clearly with DX12 titles.

I think most Kepler users are comparing themselves to AMD GCN users and that this is where these claims stem from.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

I can see you spent a lot of time on this, nice & useful! :)

Well done, nice to include a close up graph of each test.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070