Intel announced support for external graphics card expansion dock

ahhming

Through the Type-C USB port or Thunderbolt 3 port , intel announced support for external graphics card expansion dock.

1391695998045807910.jpg

USB-C Thunderbolt cable plugged into the side of this super thin,  laptop  spotted at IDF 2015, you get three USB 3.0 ports, two HDMI ports, two DisplayPorts, external audio, and ethernet all at the same time. Plus an extra USB Type-C port.

1391695998169300006.jpg
1391695998096310310.jpg
moreover this external house an external graphic card (AMD Radeon R9 M385) similar idea to the vaio z series with external dock .

The new standard can also easily handle a full size AMD R9 200 series GPU - and possible more in the future.
1391695998224164646.jpg
1391695998755665190.jpg
1391695998822252326.jpg

MSI varient

msi_external_graphics_thunderbolt.jpg
Source:
http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-box-that-can-turn-your-puny-laptop-into-a-gra-1724958260

I need a surface pro 4 with this.

Take my money Microsoft.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Interested. It may not be bad buying a laptop and have this along with it.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Also, does this mean over all type-C? That can't be right

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Could someone mod this so that you can have a desktop PC with a GPU sitting on top in all its glory?

IF the USB controller supports the PCIe alternative mode for USB 3.1 over C then yes.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I need a surface pro 4 with this.

Take my money Microsoft.

I totally agree, i've always complained about the high price on the SP3, but if they put in thunderbolt i'll be satisfied.

Thunderbolt 3 uses the type C connector. It's also compatible as a USB port

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Sadly, all of these Thunderbolt 3 boxes—and the laptop—are just Inventec reference designs, not commercial products yet. Plus, Intel won’t say what they might cost or when they might arrive, though the first real Thunderbolt 3 products will allegedly start hitting the market by the end of the year.

I'm waiting.  As long as the external GPU can drive the laptop monitor I'll be in the market for this.

make-it-so-captain.jpg

Hold on if it goes through Type C on a mac book for example how do i power the mac book or is it going to power it as well.

The Dick of the audio page!

But will this drop gaming-laptop prices?

Possibly

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Hold on if it goes through Type C on a mac book for example how do i power the mac book or is it going to power it as well.

It could be possible with a splitter. The cable can handle both data and power at the same time, so shouldn't be a problem. But I don't think you can expect to connect more data devices through the same port when using the external graphicscard. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Possibly

It would be huge if laptops with decent mobile GPU's would become cheaper.

Finally, something that is useful for mobile graphics. If these things could work with macbook pros yes please xD 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It would be huge if laptops with decent mobile GPU's would become cheaper.

yes it would, but on the otherhand doubtfull since they are probably already quite cheap, considering the fact that it's quite a competitive market, which could get destroyed by a 1st party E-GPU solution.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

yes it would, but on the otherhand doubtfull since they are probably already quite cheap, considering the fact that it's quite a competitive market, which could get destroyed by a 1st party E-GPU solution.

With cheap i mean that a laptop with 980M would be less than $1800 :D

With DX12 supposedly making SLI and crossfire obsolete, imagine being able to have as many gpus as you have USB ports :P

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Sweeeeet!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Maybe soon they'll be able to make computers with a desktop GPU built into them.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

This excites me this really makes a desktop replacement notebook a lot more viable

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers