How much longer will a 780 GHz Ed run decent settings at 1080p @ 60?

johnnyTheMac

Hello,

My question is pretty much what the title is. This kind of is a continuation of my 980 Ti question I posted last week. I have the opportunity to get a G1 980 Ti, but I don't know if it is worth it right now at my resolution and refresh rate. I don't know if I should pull the trigger or just wait until I have to run games on low settings lol. I mean, I can start to see the card's (780) "age" in Unity and GTA V, and I wonder how well it will hold up for upcoming games like Battlefront, The Division...etc.

I know we can't see the future, so I am just looking for some educated opinions/advice.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Hello,

My question is pretty much what the title is. This kind of is a continuation of my 980 Ti question I posted last week. I have the opportunity to get a G1 980 Ti, but I don't know if it is worth it right now at my resolution and refresh rate. I don't know if I should pull the trigger or just wait until I have to run games on low settings lol. I mean, I can start to see the card's (780) "age" in Unity and GTA V, and I wonder how well it will hold up for upcoming games like Battlefront, The Division...etc.

I know we can't see the future, so I am just looking for some educated opinions/advice.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

a year or 2

Get a 980 Ti if you plan to upgrade to 1440p or 4K at any point.

Grab 780 if you're waiting a while.

For decent settings (minimum decent is medium imo) I would say you have 2-3 years

Get a 980 Ti if you plan to upgrade to 1440p or 4K at any point.

Grab 780 if you're waiting a while.

For decent settings (minimum decent is medium imo) I would say you have 2-3 years

Thanks! I don't plan on upgrading from 1080p @ 60 quite a long time. Should I consider a 970?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

If you don't mind turning the settings down a bit, it should easily last a few more years. Be careful with some games like Arma/DayZ/AC:U (at release) because it doesn't matter what GPU/CPU you have past a certain point and if you upgrade for games optimized like that, you'll be disappointed. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Thanks! I don't plan on upgrading from 1080p @ 60 quite a long time. Should I consider a 970?

The 780 is gonna do you fine for a fair while to come.

The only reason you might consider the 980Ti is if you play Skyrim with 50 plus mods and want to have a stable frame rate lol

Wait for the 1000 series or R9 4XX, since it [Fingers crossed] will run on 14/16nm fab. :)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

The 780 is gonna do you fine for a fair while to come.

The only reason you might consider the 980Ti is if you play Skyrim with 50 plus mods and want to have a stable frame rate lol

50 mods?

I used over 100 graphics mods and it never used more than 3.8GB of VRAM..

You are quite misinformed..

50 mods?

I used over 100 graphics mods and it never used more than 3.8GB of VRAM..

You are quite misinformed..

It was more a figure of speech, in saying there will always be a situation where more power and ram will be needed. Like if you add 4x super sampling on and render it at 4k with all those mods you are gonna need a better GPU

I'm not an expert by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt. The nanometer process he is referring about die shrinking. So say you have a fully functioning chip and it is 20nm that means the die is 20 billionths of a meter. So when you shrink the die you have make sure it retains all functionality of the last die into a smaller die such as 16nm. The smaller the die the more power efficient it should be and the less heat it should output. This is a very rough and crude explanation and I can feel someone cringing as they read it but it's at least some of the bear basics of it.

No that would be a sidegrade for the most part.

Wait for next Gen.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain the nm process to me?

I don't understand it at all..

I am not an expert but here it goes.

The "nm" in cpus or gpu's is the size of a transistor. The smaller and more dense they are, the less power they consume due to less energy being lost. A smaller nanometer process allows for lower power consumption and heat output.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I am not an expert but here it goes.

The "nm" in cpus or gpu's is the size of a transistor. The smaller and more dense they are, the less power they consume due to less energy being lost. A smaller nanometer process allows for lower power consumption and heat output.

I believe it referred to the distance between 2 transistors but I may be wrong.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I believe it referred to the distance between 2 transistors but I may be wrong.

The chances of you being right are more :P

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni