Is it safe?

Tom is a Door
Go to solution Solved by Kyuubixchidori,

So should I do it, I mean it is pretty long term solution, I can't really use an extend cable that is connected to a full outlet, also the landlord was yelling at me when I told him to bring an electrician, also I don't I want to do it myself and fuck up the only outlet that i have

In the US im sure he could get in legal trouble for having outdated outlets like that. 

IHMO, your probably more than fine. MANY older things that use electricity, a much higher draw then what you have, only use 2 prongs. so while its not the best case, its probably not the end of the world either. 

I moved into a small room with only one outlet yes, one outlet, and it doesn't have ground or the more round'ish whole in the bottom. I was thinking about using only that to charge my PS Vita, laptop, also use a fan, along with my ~450 watt PC. Is it a good idea? I am using this to make the dual slot, I guess thats what you call it to turn it into 3 slot. Is it okay to do so? I haven't even tried to see if it will be able power everything.

post-188355-0-43670700-1438046464.jpg

post-188355-0-18831300-1438046472.jpg

post-188355-0-61828300-1438046472.jpg

Nope

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

can you do it? Yes. Is it safe? No. You might wanna consider replacing that outlet if you can or have the person who owns the place do it. 

Pants were invented by sailors in the sixteenth century to avoid Poseidon's wrath. It was believed that the sight of naked sailors angered the sea god.

Yes, if you connect a Ground cable to the little metal thingy underneath that plug. Otherwise, NO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I moved into a small room with only one outlet yes, one outlet, and it doesn't have ground or the more round'ish whole in the bottom. I was thinking about using only that to charge my PS Vita, laptop, also use a fan, along with my ~450 watt PC. Is it a good idea? I am using this to make the dual slot, I guess thats what you call it to turn it into 3 slot. Is it okay to do so? I haven't even tried to see if it will be able power everything.

You need the ground wire it's a safety issue. Either bring in an electrician to rewire the plug with a ground or you can do it yourself if you know what your doing the whole time. 

The easiest is to run the proper sized extension cord to a properly grounded outlet somewhere else for the time being.

....that's bullshit. Your fine. Your pulling 600 watts tops. I used a 1400 watt vacuum cleaner and my pc (dual 7970s mining, so another 500 watts or so) on a outlet without the ground. Yeah it's unsafe, but in reality you'll be fine unless lighting strikes

....that's bullshit. Your fine. Your pulling 600 watts tops. I used a 1400 watt vacuum cleaner and my pc (dual 7970s mining, so another 500 watts or so) on a outlet without the ground. Yeah it's unsafe, but in reality you'll be fine unless lighting strikes

It's not about lightning, if lightning strikes a lot of stuff is pretty toast even some with surge protectors, but the ground wire helps to dissipate as much as it can. It's more of a safety issue where having a metal case and the possibility of it building up a charge where if you touch it you can get shocked or electrocuted, possibility is low but still can happen. 

It's not about lightning, if lightning strikes a lot of stuff is pretty toast even some with surge protectors, but the ground wire helps to dissipate as much as it can. It's more of a safety issue where having a metal case and the possibility of it building up a charge where if you touch it you can get shocked or electrocuted, possibility is low but still can happen. 

hum. intresting. 

I wouldnt recommend it as a long term solution though. unless the alternative is rewiring a whole house, which... is not easy or cheap. 

You can run a ground wire from the hole to one of the screws at the top or hootom on the outlet that screw into the box in the wall.  The box should be grounded, thus working like a 3 pin outlet.

So should I do it, I mean it is pretty long term solution, I can't really use an extend cable that is connected to a full outlet, also the landlord was yelling at me when I told him to bring an electrician, also I don't I want to do it myself and fuck up the only outlet that i have

Tell your landlord to get in an electrician, as it's a safety hazard. Tell him it's either bring one in, or have the place in flames.

In the US im sure he could get in legal trouble for having outdated outlets like that. 

IHMO, your probably more than fine. MANY older things that use electricity, a much higher draw then what you have, only use 2 prongs. so while its not the best case, its probably not the end of the world either. 

"prongs" most definetly learned something and thanks

"prongs" most definetly learned something and thanks

Legally your allowed to have those plugs and types of ungrounded or floating ground plugs as long as nothing has been touched from way back in the day when they were allowed. It only needs updating if there is any electrical work is being done around the building and it all needs to be upgraded to the new standard.

Using the adapter and screwing it into the center screw is still not recommend since most of them don't ground the box or have leads for grounding period.

Legally your allowed to have those plugs and types of ungrounded or floating ground plugs as long as nothing has been touched from way back in the day when they were allowed. It only needs updating if there is any electrical work is being done around the building and it all needs to be upgraded to the new standard.

Using the adapter and screwing it into the center screw is still not recommend since most of them don't ground the box or have leads for grounding period.

OHHH I am gonna try to threaten, not in a bad way, to fix it, since the landlord himself got new wiring and stuff for his house not the floor above

OHHH I am gonna try to threaten, not in a bad way, to fix it, since the landlord himself got new wiring and stuff for his house not the floor above

Ask nicely and see first what they say since it's a safety issue.