"Budget? We don't need no stinkin' budget."

After a year in a nursing home recovering from a micro-stroke (pro tip, kids: don't have a stroke, even a "micro" one) I have decided to splurge a bit on myself.  Since a trip around the world is out of the question (travel in a wheelchair purely sucks) I'm going to indulge my geek side and replace the 4 year old collection of compromises (a "PC") that currently occupies space in my home office with something rather more extreme.

As the title suggests, I'm not operating here with any particular fiscal constraints.  I'm not going to spend $$$ for the mere sake of spending, and not everything I'm considering might be "latest & greatest." 

Use will be as my daily driver gaming editing bulk storage "do everything" machine.  

Display-wise, I've considered going 4K, but my eyesight, well... 1440p is likely to be my upper limit, which is why I didn't opt for a couple of 980Ti GPUs.  My current rig is running dual 27" 1080p panels, I think three 27" 1440p panels wouldn't be out of line for an upgrade.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($559.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($215.99 @ Amazon) 
2 x Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($164.00 @ Amazon) 
6 x Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Best Buy) 
2 x Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($329.99 @ Micro Center) 
4 x Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 56.1 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($11.24 @ Mwave) 
8 x Case Fan: Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($15.33 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Caselabs SMA8 w/ pedestal (white) ($709.90)
Total: $2863.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-17 14:54 EDT-0400

M.2 for boot and main apps, SSDs in mobo RAID1 for most programs and data, and HDDs in software RAID5 or 6 for bulk storage.  (There will be a NAS onsite, eventually, and one offsite as well.)

Though I had some initial questions about PCIe lane usage and RAID cards, I think I have that all worked out now by the switch to s/w RAID on the HDDs.  

Not apparent in the above (admittedly incomplete) list is that I intend to overclock and dual-loop water cool this thing.  Because reasons.  Yeah, it'll cost.  I don't care.  Everyone needs a hobby, right?

I don't see any actual conflicts in this list.  My chief concerns at this point are:

1. the 5930K's 40 PCIe lanes... really necessary beyond the 5820K's 28 lanes?  x16 + x16 + x4 (GPU+GPU+M.2) versus x16 + x8 + x4...  that would leave no wiggle room.
  2. whether dual 970s are going to be gutsy enough for triple 1440p displays at 120-144Hz.
  3. the SSds in RAID1 -- I'm considering doubling the number of SSDs and switching to RAID10.
  4. Memory speed is a bit of a mystery to me.  No idea if 2800 is right, wrong, or somewhere in the grey area between.

Thoughts?

When you flirt with Death, you run the risk that Death has something more serious in mind.

CCIE #4206

Steam_Sale.gif.

no point in getting a 5930k

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

After a year in a nursing home recovering from a micro-stroke (pro tip, kids: don't have a stroke, even a "micro" one) I have decided to splurge a bit on myself.  Since a trip around the world is out of the question (travel in a wheelchair purely sucks) I'm going to indulge my geek side and replace the 4 year old collection of compromises (a "PC") that currently occupies space in my home office with something rather more extreme.

As the title suggests, I'm not operating here with any particular fiscal constraints.  I'm not going to spend $$$ for the mere sake of spending, and not everything I'm considering might be "latest & greatest." 

Use will be as my daily driver gaming editing bulk storage "do everything" machine.  

Display-wise, I've considered going 4K, but my eyesight, well... 1440p is likely to be my upper limit, which is why I didn't opt for a couple of 980Ti GPUs.  My current rig is running dual 27" 1080p panels, I think three 27" 1440p panels wouldn't be out of line for an upgrade.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($559.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($215.99 @ Amazon) 
2 x Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($164.00 @ Amazon) 
6 x Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Best Buy) 
2 x Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($329.99 @ Micro Center) 
4 x Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 56.1 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($11.24 @ Mwave) 
8 x Case Fan: Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($15.33 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Caselabs SMA8 w/ pedestal (white) ($709.90)
Total: $2863.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-17 14:54 EDT-0400

M.2 for boot and main apps, SSDs in mobo RAID1 for most programs and data, and HDDs in software RAID5 or 6 for bulk storage.  (There will be a NAS onsite, eventually, and one offsite as well.)

Though I had some initial questions about PCIe lane usage and RAID cards, I think I have that all worked out now by the switch to s/w RAID on the HDDs.  

Not apparent in the above (admittedly incomplete) list is that I intend to overclock and dual-loop water cool this thing.  Because reasons.  Yeah, it'll cost.  I don't care.  Everyone needs a hobby, right?

I don't see any actual conflicts in this list.  My chief concerns at this point are:

1. the 5930K's 40 PCIe lanes... really necessary beyond the 5820K's 28 lanes?  x16 + x16 + x4 (GPU+GPU+M.2) versus x16 + x8 + x4...  that would leave no wiggle room.
  2. whether dual 970s are going to be gutsy enough for triple 1440p displays at 120-144Hz.
  3. the SSds in RAID1 -- I'm considering doubling the number of SSDs and switching to RAID10.
  4. Memory speed is a bit of a mystery to me.  No idea if 2800 is right, wrong, or somewhere in the grey area between.

Thoughts?

the 40 arent really worth it TBH. get the 5820k and spend the extra on diffrent GPUs.

raid 1 should be fine

2800 is really fast !!

and last how old are you to have a micro stroke and are you ok now. my grandad died from a stroke and ive wondered what it felt like could u explain ?

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

It doesn't really make sense,

especially 970 sli

I would go with a single card and a single nice ultrawide 

What you could do is a single fury X or 980ti ( or even dual ) and get a 3440x1440 gsync 75 hz panel ( these are about 1k, so not cheap, but cheaper than triple 1440p )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

• Remove unnecessary storage
  • Add one or multiple Titan X's.

Seeing 18TB storage with 2way 970 hurts me :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

So, you can throw something else in that uses the remaining 4 pcie lanes but what would that be? A 970 won't care if it is using 3.0x8 or 3.0x16, so it's not like the 5820K platform would introduce a bottleneck anyway for GPUs.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

as post #2 very crudely put, the SLI 970 isnt going to be a very good experience.

theres going to be hitches with SLI, theres going to be games that dont even support it at all, and you're still limited VRAM wise.

i'm going to reccommend you go with a single 980Ti instead.

might not be as much bling as two graphics cards, but it'll be MUCH better in actual use.

EDIT: and that also solves the PCI-e question.

and last how old are you to have a micro stroke and are you ok now. my grandad died from a stroke and ive wondered what it felt like could u explain ?

I was 52 when it happened, and spent the next year in a nursing home.  Just got out about 6 weeks ago.  I have no recollection of the event itself; I woke up in the ICU after a week in an induced coma.  It left one leg completely paralyzed, but thankfully there were no other major effects to speech or other muscles.

Yeah, 52 was a bit young... but my best friend when I was a kid had a massive stroke at age 12.

When you flirt with Death, you run the risk that Death has something more serious in mind.

CCIE #4206

I was 52 when it happened, and spent the next year in a nursing home.  Just got out about 6 weeks ago.  I have no recollection of the event itself; I woke up in the ICU after a week in an induced coma.  It left one leg completely paralyzed, but thankfully there were no other major effects to speech or other muscles.

Yeah, 52 was a bit young... but my best friend when I was a kid had a massive stroke at age 12.

Damm, now im afraid to drink more of my soda.

wow hope you ok and wow man have fun with your pc !! you earn it

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Even tho you are saying that "I'm not going to spend $$$ for the mere sake of spending" it def seems that way with your cpu and ram choices.

It's not a good build IMO.  You are overspending a lot on your CPU and underspending on your GPU.

Hope you stay well. Stick around, we'll look after you. ;)

As for the computer. Looks nice, but the others saying the rest!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Sorry to hear that,here is what i would change cpu to i7 4790k,and get something like z97 xpower or maybe msi gaming 9 with 980ti gaming, i would ditch m.2 since you get like a sec improvement and twice the price

I have 16TB of storage with a 290...

Some people have higher priorities in their PC xD

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

This is a rig I built for someone else. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6LtXzy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6LtXzy/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($378.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($184.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($164.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($119.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($679.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($749.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($112.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G500s Laser Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2939.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-17 17:29 EDT-0400

Only change I would make is get a Crossover 404k or a Philips 4065UC monitor instead. 

Also if you live next to micro center then get the CPU there.

I have 16TB of storage with a 290...

Some people have higher priorities in their PC xD

DO YOU WORK AT NASA :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Me too, kinda, actually.  FTR, I'll probably set one of the HDDs aside to use as a spare.

So, you can throw something else in that uses the remaining 4 pcie lanes but what would that be? A 970 won't care if it is using 3.0x8 or 3.0x16, so it's not like the 5820K platform would introduce a bottleneck anyway for GPUs.

A RAID card, perhaps?

Get a 5820k and at least a 980 Ti, maybe SLI

Well, with the cost differential between the 5930K and the 5820K, bumping the GPU setup to dual 980Ti in SLI doesn't seem like very much of a stretch.

as post #2 very crudely put, the SLI 970 isnt going to be a very good experience.

theres going to be hitches with SLI, theres going to be games that dont even support it at all, and you're still limited VRAM wise.

i'm going to reccommend you go with a single 980Ti instead.

might not be as much bling as two graphics cards, but it'll be MUCH better in actual use.

EDIT: and that also solves the PCI-e question.

Whatever GPU I go with, there will be two of them, even if it costs more (which, for me, merely means waiting an extra month to collect all the components.)

Even tho you are saying that "I'm not going to spend $$$ for the mere sake of spending" it def seems that way with your cpu and ram choices.

It's not a good build IMO.  You are overspending a lot on your CPU and underspending on your GPU.

The RAM... yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss on what would be an appropriate speed to go with.  2400, perhaps?  I genuinely don't know what might be right;  thinking "faster = better" is hard to overcome.

And as noted above, shifting to the 5820K and lower speed memory would free up a few dollars to invest in a 980Ti SLI setup.

All the above, BTW, is why I posted here instead of doing a brand new build log.  I sincerely appreciate the input and information.  Were I doing any of this completely on my own, I am 100% certain I would be well and truly hosed, monumental-screw-up-wise.

CCIE #4206