Buying Windows 8 upgrade key to activate my pirated copy to then get a free upgrade to Windows 10?

Tro

I've been running a pirated copy of windows 8.1, since I bought it legitimately once and lost the key.

To the point, I can get a windows 8.1 "Upgrade" for about 10 euros.

Could i purchase this key to activate my windows to get a free upgrade to windows 10?

IF you can't activate a copy with an upgrade key, would reinstalling work? Or maybe installing windows 7 and then "Upgrading" to windows 8.1 again?

My last topic on this forum got 0 views, so hopefully this post will actually exist :/

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

yes

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

yes

What a detailed and helpful answer. 

Yes to what?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

What a detailed and helpful answer. 

Yes to what?

Buying Windows 8 upgrade key to activate my pirated copy to then get a free upgrade to Windows 10?

You answered your own question. If the activation doesnt work, you can re-install the copy from Microsoft with no issues.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I've been running a pirated copy of windows 8.1, since I bought it legitimately once and lost the key.

To the point, I can get a windows 8.1 "Upgrade" for about 10 euros.

Could i purchase this key to activate my windows to get a free upgrade to windows 10?

IF you can't activate a copy with an upgrade key, would reinstalling work? Or maybe installing windows 7 and then "Upgrading" to windows 8.1 again?

My last topic on this forum got 0 views, so hopefully this post will actually exist :/

An Upgrade key is only valid if the PC is already licensed for Windows 7. If you have a key, you can do the phone activation and tell them that you did a clean install with an upgrade key and that you have a Windows 7 key. They should let you activate.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Upgrade keys are annoying, you'll probably need to install Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 8/8.1

Does the windows 7 installation have to be legitimately activated in order to upgrade? Or does it even work without being activated at all?

Upgrade keys are annoying, you'll probably need to install Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 8/8.1

I think you might even have to activate the os you are upgrading from. I remember having a similar problem a year or so ago.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

An Upgrade key is only valid if the PC is already licensed for Windows 7. If you have a key, you can do the phone activation and tell them that you did a clean install with an upgrade key and that you have a Windows 7 key. They should let you activate.

See thats the thing, I've never owned a legitimate windows 7 copy, but I vaguely remember buying my windows 8 key as an upgrade, which worked, was a long time ago though, can't quite remember what I did.

See thats the thing, I've never owned a legitimate windows 7 copy, but I vaguely remember buying my windows 8 key as an upgrade, which worked, was a long time ago though, can't quite remember what I did.

If you have upgraded from Windows 7 (pirated) to windows 8.1 (and paid for it), you should have gotten an email at some point with you Windows key. You can use that to activate Windows 8.1 (or clean install it). At least that's how it worked for me. If not, you can buy a Windows 8.1 pro key from a site which sells keys for about $25-30, and you will have a legitimate copy of Windows which will be upgraded to Windows 10 if you so desire. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I've always done the registry edit to save time. It is pretty simple.

If your original 8 key was preinstalled on the machine you're currently using, you can pull it out with certain programs and just activate. Saves money. Only exception is if you went into the UEFI and purposely deleted that key.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |