System Image vs Clone?

Alir

I figured I'd start a new thread for this issue.

I have formatted by SSD and reinstalled Windows since before my PC was freezing constantly, a few minutes after my PC was turned on. I am unsure whether the cause was because of malicious software, faulty hardware, or conflicting software.

It took me several days to install all of my drivers, utilities, programs, updates, etc. I was getting annoying errors from some drivers, utilities and the devil: Windows Update.

Anyways, I NEED a complete backup of my SSD only, along with all drivers and software on it. From research I have gotten the impression that a system image includes the content on external drives as well, is this correct? I only want a backup of my boot drive only.

- Currently, in my desktop case, I have my SSD which has my OS on it and my old HDD which is not connected to the motherboard yet! I would like to connect the HDD and scan it with anti virus after a backup so I can rule out malicious software as the cause of why my PC was freezing before I reinstalled Windows.

So what I want to do is create a system image/clone of my SSD now and save it for some point in the future if this becomes necessary and I don't have spare time.

So what is the difference between a clone and a system image? Which would you recommend I create?

I figured I'd start a new thread for this issue.

I have formatted by SSD and reinstalled Windows since before my PC was freezing constantly, a few minutes after my PC was turned on. I am unsure whether the cause was because of malicious software, faulty hardware, or conflicting software.

It took me several days to install all of my drivers, utilities, programs, updates, etc. I was getting annoying errors from some drivers, utilities and the devil: Windows Update.

Anyways, I NEED a complete backup of my SSD only, along with all drivers and software on it. From research I have gotten the impression that a system image includes the content on external drives as well, is this correct? I only want a backup of my boot drive only.

- Currently, in my desktop case, I have my SSD which has my OS on it and my old HDD which is not connected to the motherboard yet! I would like to connect the HDD and scan it with anti virus after a backup so I can rule out malicious software as the cause of why my PC was freezing before I reinstalled Windows.

So what I want to do is create a system image/clone of my SSD now and save it for some point in the future if this becomes necessary and I don't have spare time.

So what is the difference between a clone and a system image? Which would you recommend I create?

The Windows System Imaging feature is in fact a cloning program.  I tried it and it failed three times.

I use Clonezilla.  100% freeware, meaning... no bloatware or advertisement.  www.clonezilla.org

It installs onto a disk or a USB flash drive (170MB).  It boots into it's own GUI.  You don't run this in Windows.

Bop.

Can someone answer the Q please?

No offence stconquest :)

I'm just trying to decide whether to create a system image or a clone.

Is it even possible to create a clone on a USB flash drive or on a USB hard drive?

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/28243 Suggests it is not possible because of safeguards MS put in place to prevent pirated copies or whatever.

I'd greatly appreciate some help here.

Is it even possible to create a clone on a USB flash drive or on a USB hard drive?

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/28243 Suggests it is not possible because of safeguards MS put in place to prevent pirated copies or whatever.

'I figured I'd start a new thread for this issue.

So what is the difference between a clone and a system image? Which would you recommend I create?'

I hope I can get more than one reply here :P

not diff

just different words for same thing

just make a clone of the drive to a single file with acronis true image

then if you have a problem you can restore from that image

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

This article explains the differences between cloning and imaging pretty well. Basically, you create an image if you want to be able to restore from that image later on. You clone if you want an actual exact copy (or clone) of the drive to be created. Cloning a bootable drive will create another, identical bootable drive while imaging it just copies some/most/all of the files in a compressed format that isn't bootable, but you can later restore from.

i5-4690K;     MSI Z97 PC MATE;     Gigabyte R9 270;      16GB DDR3-1866;      256 GB Samsung 850 EVO;     2TB Hitachi HDD;     Corsair 1.21GW

Symantec Ghost is an option too, it makes a full backup image, it can be clones to a flash drive (if large enough) or USB hard drive or you can be really fancy and setup deployment server and use it over the network. i use it to backup mine and client computers never had a license issue when restoring to the original computer

CPU : i7 5820k l MB : ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER/3.1 l RAM : 64GB l GPUs : GTX 970 l Case : Corsair 350D l SSD 2x250gb HDD 2x3tb Raid0 l CS750M PSU
CPU : i7 920 l MB : Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5 l RAM : 24 GB  l Case : CoolerMaster Silencio l 3x3TB Raid 5 l  Corsair VS650 | ESXI 5.5
Asus G551VW | i7 6700HQ | 32 GB | GTX 960M | 500 GB Samsung mSata | 1TB WD 

Yes. Keep in mind however, that most cloning software don't do error checking.

So error can occur. Also, cloning SSD to HDD or HDD to SSD usually doesn't end well. Stay SSD on both or HDD on both. This has to do with technology differences.

This article explains the differences between cloning and imaging pretty well. Basically, you create an image if you want to be able to restore from that image later on. You clone if you want an actual exact copy (or clone) of the drive to be created. Cloning a bootable drive will create another, identical bootable drive while imaging it just copies some/most/all of the files in a compressed format that isn't bootable, but you can later restore from.

So does this mean with a system image, if my ssd dies, I cannot use the system image? Or can the system image be used just by reinstalling windows fresh and then using the image?

Yes. Keep in mind however, that most cloning software don't do error checking.

So error can occur. Also, cloning SSD to HDD or HDD to SSD usually doesn't end well. Stay SSD on both or HDD on both. This has to do with technology differences.

I was thinking of cloning an SSD onto a USB flash drive. And then if formatting my SSD becomes necessary, I'll boot windows off of the USB flash drive and clone it back to my SSD.

So since an SSD is flash storage, it'll be from a SSD flash > USB flash > SSD flash.

I was thinking of cloning an SSD onto a USB flash drive. And then if formatting my SSD becomes necessary, I'll boot windows off of the USB flash drive and clone it back to my SSD.

So since an SSD is flash storage, it'll be from a SSD flash > USB flash > SSD flash.

I have never tried, but I would experiment a bit. Try at least 3 times to do a recover from your cloned USB flash drive, and see if that works. But

So does this mean with a system image, if my ssd dies, I cannot use the system image? Or can the system image be used just by reinstalling windows fresh and then using the image?

Yes. In order to restore from an image, you either need to be inside Windows or you need to have a Windows install/recovery disk. An install or recovery disk will allow you to directly restore the image without having to install a fresh copy of Windows first.

i5-4690K;     MSI Z97 PC MATE;     Gigabyte R9 270;      16GB DDR3-1866;      256 GB Samsung 850 EVO;     2TB Hitachi HDD;     Corsair 1.21GW

I have never tried, but I would experiment a bit. Try at least 3 times to do a recover from your cloned USB flash drive, and see if that works. But

But?

Yes. In order to restore from an image, you either need to be inside Windows or you need to have a Windows install/recovery disk. An install or recovery disk will allow you to directly restore the image without having to install a fresh copy of Windows first.

Wait. So as example, if my SSD ... blows up, or is otherwise somehow taken out of the equation, but I still have an image on a USB. If I buy the same SSD again, I can restore that image perfectly to the new SSD if I have a Windows installer USB thing?

So basically an image is independent of the original drives' files?

Wait. So as example, if my SSD ... blows up, or is otherwise somehow taken out of the equation, but I still have an image on a USB. If I buy the same SSD again, I can restore that image perfectly to the new SSD if I have a Windows installer USB thing?

So basically an image is independent of the original drives' files?

Yes. This would also be the case if you cloned your SSD to another SSD or a (large) flash drive. The only real difference is that with the clone, you'd be able to plug it in, choose it as your boot media, and get going again instantly. Meanwhile, with an image, you have to restore the image to a drive.

Another important note is that in order to clone, your destination needs to be as large as or larger than your source--you couldn't clone a drive with 100 GB of data on it to a 64 GB flash drive. You might be able to put an image on the flash drive though, depending on how well it's compressed.

Yes. This would also be the case if you cloned your SSD to another SSD or a (large) flash drive. The only real difference is that with the clone, you'd be able to plug it in, choose it as your boot media, and get going again instantly. Meanwhile, with an image, you have to restore the image to a drive.

Another important note is that in order to clone, your destination needs to be as large as or larger than your source--you couldn't clone a drive with 100 GB of data on it to a 64 GB flash drive. You might be able to put an image on the flash drive though, depending on how well it's compressed.

Sweet!! Thanks!

So now the next issue is what is the best or most recommended imaging software?

Sweet!! Thanks!

So now the next issue is what is the best or most recommended imaging software?

You actually don't need any extra software with Windows. This guide is a good overview of the process, but it's pretty simple.

Windows' system image system is known to be terrible and to cause problems

Are there any decent system imaging software available that someone can vouch for?

I wish I could think of one, but I can't right now  :mellow:  .

/s

Can CloneZilla create a system image?

Can CloneZilla create a system image?

lol, yes... it is as close to a perfect cloning program you will get... and it is free.

lol, yes... it is a close to a perfect cloning program you will get... and it is free.

Oh.

So do you know of any decent system imaging software :P

Thanks.

Oh.

So do you know of any decent system imaging software :P

Thanks.

My, my....

System Imaging and Cloning...

ARE THE SAME THING!

/thread :D

My, my....

System Imaging and Cloning...

ARE THE SAME THING!

/thread :D

They're not though, he said respectfully.