System Image vs Clone?

Alir

The Windows System Imaging feature is in fact a cloning program.  I tried it and it failed three times.

I use Clonezilla.  100% freeware, meaning... no bloatware or advertisement.  www.clonezilla.org

It installs onto a disk or a USB flash drive (170MB).  It boots into it's own GUI.  You don't run this in Windows.

I have used clonezilla dozens of times and it is quite user friendly

They're not though, he said respectfully.

They really are though...

You might be thinking of Windows Backup.  ;)

They really are though...

You might be thinking of Windows Backup.  ;)

Do you mean that Windows' system image is not a real system image and that a system image is the same as a clone?

Because in the context of Windows, from what I know, a system image is not the same as a clone.

Do you mean that Windows' system image is not a real system image and that a system image is the same as a clone?

Because in the context of Windows, from what I know, a system image is not the same as a clone.

No.

I mean if I make a system image using Windows my ISO is 24GB.  If I clone my drive using Clonezilla, the ISO is 24GB.

Two ways to do the same thing, no matter what you call it.

use acronis trueimage

its what I use

also

cloneing and imaging are the same thing basically

just one makes a copy on some other storage

and imaging makes a single file copy that you can restore from

basically the same thing

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

use acronis trueimage

It has some cool features, but you have to pay.... I'm a cheapskate. :)

It has some cool features, but you have to pay.... I'm a cheapskate. :)

true...tho I usually just use the rebuild of HIRENS boot CD

true...tho I usually just use the rebuild of HIRENS boot CD

The lets you boot into a GUI separate from windows?

The lets you boot into a GUI separate from windows?

ya

Nice, I did not know you could.

acronis actually has a boot cd to you can make..and I think it will run normally in demo mode as well

...key word I think..you'd have to try it

I figured I'd start a new thread for this issue.

I have formatted by SSD and reinstalled Windows since before my PC was freezing constantly, a few minutes after my PC was turned on. I am unsure whether the cause was because of malicious software, faulty hardware, or conflicting software.

It took me several days to install all of my drivers, utilities, programs, updates, etc. I was getting annoying errors from some drivers, utilities and the devil: Windows Update.

Anyways, I NEED a complete backup of my SSD only, along with all drivers and software on it. From research I have gotten the impression that a system image includes the content on external drives as well, is this correct? I only want a backup of my boot drive only.

- Currently, in my desktop case, I have my SSD which has my OS on it and my old HDD which is not connected to the motherboard yet! I would like to connect the HDD and scan it with anti virus after a backup so I can rule out malicious software as the cause of why my PC was freezing before I reinstalled Windows.

So what I want to do is create a system image/clone of my SSD now and save it for some point in the future if this becomes necessary and I don't have spare time.

So what is the difference between a clone and a system image? Which would you recommend I create?

Why did you have errors?  Something isn't right if you did have that much trouble.  Are you sure you did it right?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Why did you have errors?  Something isn't right if you did have that much trouble.  Are you sure you did it right?

My main issues:

1) I was trying to install Windows on an MBR

2) Issues in the BIOS and also overclocking issues from my last install (I had OCed with ASUS Suite).

3) Several drivers weren't installing. This was mostly down to me needing to change settings in the BIOS (enabling/disabling things in the BIOS)

4) Windows Update was being Windows Update. One update wasn't installing - it eventually ended up being fixed by something which I don't think was supposed to fix it. Meh it worked I guess.

5) This is the only issue which is still persisting but isn't causing any significant problem... yet. When I fix problems with Windows Update via control panel, "Windows Update components must be repaired" keeps showing up and everytime running this, it gets fixed everytime. Evidently it's not fixed though. lol

My main issues:

1) I was trying to install Windows on an MBR

2) Issues in the BIOS and also overclocking issues from my last install (I had OCed with ASUS Suite).

3) Several drivers weren't installing. This was mostly down to me needing to change settings in the BIOS (enabling/disabling things in the BIOS)

4) Windows Update was being Windows Update. One update wasn't installing - it eventually ended up being fixed by something which I don't think was supposed to fix it. Meh it worked I guess.

5) This is the only issue which is still persisting but isn't causing any significant problem... yet. When I fix problems with Windows Update via control panel, "Windows Update components must be repaired" keeps showing up and everytime running this, it gets fixed everytime. Evidently it's not fixed though. lol

Honestly this sounds like a bad install of Windows in general.  Is the install media legitimate?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Honestly this sounds like a bad install of Windows in general.  Is the install media legitimate?

yep. Downloaded it straight from microsoft.

yep. Downloaded it straight from microsoft.

Well something isn't right then.  If you're having issues installing your drivers then obviously something isn't right.

Spoiler

Well something isn't right then.  If you're having issues installing your drivers then obviously something isn't right.

It was mostly things like having to enable different intel technologies from the BIOS - I didn't know those options even existed last year. They were rather well hidden behind all the other gibberish settings :P

They weren't installing because the options were disabled in BIOS by default.

Besides the few of those intel drivers that weren't installing but eventually did, there were one or two other drivers that weren't installing one of them, I learnt was because the driver required a HDD of greater than 2TB; 'disk unlocker' I think it was called. It would have helped if ASUS made those sorts of things more clear.

The thing which mostly worried me was the Windows Update issues. There technically shouldn't have been any problems with that.

It was mostly things like having to enable different intel technologies from the BIOS - I didn't know those options even existed last year. They were rather well hidden behind all the other gibberish settings :P

They weren't installing because the options were disabled in BIOS by default.

Besides the few of those intel drivers that weren't installing but eventually did, there were one or two other drivers that weren't installing one of them, I learnt was because the driver required a HDD of greater than 2TB; 'disk unlocker' I think it was called. It would have helped if ASUS made those sorts of things more clear.

The thing which mostly worried me was the Windows Update issues. There technically shouldn't have been any problems with that.

Never heard of a driver that requires 2TB of hard drive space.

Spoiler

Never heard of a driver that requires 2TB of hard drive space.

It was a Utility software, not a driver.

It was a small issue though.