4790k or 5820k for VM?

Hello,

As the title states I'm looking to upgrade from 4790k to 5820k for gaming but mainly for virtual computing using it to utilize it with VMWare Workstation.

Thinking about going with 32GB of DDR4 RAM (4x8GB) for starters and then maybe add more if needed.

Any thoughts on it or prior experience of anyone with the same scenario? Would like anyone's input on it with gaming as well as virtual computing specifically VirtualBox/VMWare Workstation experience. Will be basically running Guest OS such as Windows 7 and all doing normal tasks, nothing that extensive as I can manage it just fine with 4790k but I'm getting a good deal to sell my current 32GB RAM with 4790k and Maximus VI Formula setup and upgrade it to DDR4 with 5820k and a decent board (still looking for which one atm, perhaps ASUS X99-Pro)

Any help on this will be highly appreciated, please let me know if any questions at all.

Thank you!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64
All powered by Corsair AX1200i

I will repeat the best advice to upgrading I have ever been told. If your current machine does what you need it to the way you want it to then don't upgrade. If you don't need it now there is little harm in waiting to see what skylake kicks out down the road.

I would have said skylake or zen but AMD seems pretty keen on the APU market right now and im not sure if we will see any powerhouse of a processor from them for your purposes.

I run VMs on my current setup and have been happy with the performance. Win7 & 10 run well. I use Virtualbox. I'd spring for a 5820k and DDR4 if I could, since the RAM could be reused with future upgrades.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

sell it and upgrade 

I'm currently just waiting for a good deal to upgrade, so I am super jealous !

I run VMs on my current setup and have been happy with the performance. Win7 & 10 run well. I use Virtualbox. I'd spring for a 5820k and DDR4 if I could, since the RAM could be reused with future upgrades.

Skylake is going to be compatible with both so you are talking a very long time before dd3 becomes unviable for upgrading. To top that off ddr4 currently provides no performance benefits over ddr3 in any benchmark tests. Linus did a video on this. Im not saying don't upgrade. I myself would love to have 5820k and can afford it but I its just so unnecessary especially if the 4790k already does what you need it to.

I will repeat the best advice to upgrading I have ever been told. If your current machine does what you need it to the way you want it to then don't upgrade. If you don't need it now there is little harm in waiting to see what skylake kicks out down the road.

I would have said skylake or zen but AMD seems pretty keen on the APU market right now and im not sure if we will see any powerhouse of a processor from them for your purposes.

While I agree with you as I have been waiting and postponed my plans to upgrade until Skylake is out as well but right now I'm getting a pretty good deal to sell it with only addition to ~$200-300 CAD for total upgrade to DDR, Motherboard and Processor so that's why was thinking if it will ACTUALLY give me any performance boost in VM then I would highly consider it as I'm not sure how much of a difference I'm gonna get in gaming if at all since games hardly even utilize 4 cores as it is, let alone 6 cores.

5820k for sure. get an asrock mobo too. 

Any specific ASRock mobo you have in mind? I looked at some but not sure which one, so far I'm looking towards Gigabyte 5P or ASUS X99-Pro for budget one or ASUS X99-Deluxe for a bit high end unless you have any other in mind?

So in your opinion I will gain significance performance upgrade and will give me more room to keep the machines running at the same time? So far looks like both of us got about the same config, please refer to the end of this post where I'll post the total specs of my computer for everyone involved in the thread.

sell it and upgrade 

I'm currently just waiting for a good deal to upgrade, so I am super jealous !

Lol, nice but any idea how much of the performance gain I will get over 4790k and DDR3 for VM?

Skylake is going to be compatible with both so you are talking a very long time before dd3 becomes unviable for upgrading. To top that off ddr4 currently provides no performance benefits over ddr3 in any benchmark tests. Linus did a video on this. Im not saying don't upgrade. I myself would love to have 5820k and can afford it but I its just so unnecessary especially if the 4790k already does what you need it to.

Skylake will be compatible with DDR3 as well? That's good to know but I'm already looking towards DDR4 but now that you tell me there aren't any significant improvement in performance or anything? That kind of sucks .. any link to the Linus' mentioned video you have that might be really helpful. 4790k is already doing for me what I need but I wouldn't mind having more room to turn on more VMs at the same time therefore looking for an upgrade if it helps.

P.S. Following are my complete specs of my current computer:

Monitor: ACER XB280HK 4K G Sync + LG 29EA73-P Ultrawide + Samsung S27C750P
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i Extreme
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (1866 MHz)
GPU: 2x Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB (SLI Setup)
HDD: 120GB Kingston SSD + 1x 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate
Chassis: Corsair 800D
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64

I understand it not being necessary. I feel like the transition from DDR2 to DDR3 was the same, at first. I was just thinking that if he already had DDR4, then upgrading in the future would be cheaper because the RAM could be reused.

Edit:

So in your opinion I will gain significance performance upgrade and will give me more room to keep the machines running at the same time? So far looks like both of us got about the same config, please refer to the end of this post where I'll post the total specs of my computer for everyone involved in the thread.

No, I misunderstood. I thought you were building a new PC, and were choosing between the two potential builds. If you already have it, no point in upgrading. My opinion is the same as @Hunter7263's.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

What I really want is some decent SSDs to store my VM's on. So expensive though. =/

I understand it not being necessary. I feel like the transition from DDR2 to DDR3 was the same, at first. I was just thinking that if he already had DDR4, then upgrading in the future would be cheaper because the RAM could be reused.

I didn't think that with ddr2 and ddr3 there were chips that worked with both. Either way you would be paying an early adopter tax on the dd4 now. Its currently stupid expensive compared to ddr3. Because of how under utilized the cpu's are and honestly the current skylake outlook on gamer CPU's I don't think the 4790k would lose much value at all if he waited to upgrade and sold that later. In turn that might mean a much better system for not much more money.

What I really want is some decent SSDs to store my VM's on. So expensive though. =/

I just bought 2x 500GB 850 EVO SSD from Memory Express and will have it with me in mid July in Pakistan. Will be using one for games and one for VMs, move the current playing games such as GTA V/Witcher etc on SSD when playing and just to store them and hardly to play again will go back to my 4TB WD Black until I put in few TBs of SSD in the system possibly with the Skylake later down the road.

I didn't think that with ddr2 and ddr3 there were chips that worked with both. Either way you would be paying an early adopter tax on the dd4 now. Its currently stupid expensive compared to ddr3. Because of how under utilized the cpu's are and honestly the current skylake outlook on gamer CPU's I don't think the 4790k would lose much value at all if he waited to upgrade and sold that later. In turn that might mean a much better system for not much more money.

Don't look at it as the gamer's perspective only, keep the processor's performance for VM in also mind that in a way it will be helping me by providing me more performance.

What I mainly wanna know is if there is gonna be a significant performance difference on these two CPUs when it comes to VM as for gaming I already know I won't be gaining much if at all.

I have a LGA 775 board that does DDR2 or DDR3, two slots for each. You can't use at the same time. The price issue was similar when transitioning from DDR2 to DDR3 as well. I ended up building a DDR2 system for my Dad because 8GBs was less than $100 and it was at least twice that with DDR3, at the time.

Again, I was only recommending because I thought he was decideding either or. Once I realized I misread, I changed my mind. The peformance difference is fairly slim for now, but it will get better with time.

I just bought 2x 500GB 850 EVO SSD from Memory Express and will have it with me in mid July in Pakistan. Will be using one for games and one for VMs, move the current playing games such as GTA V/Witcher etc on SSD when playing and just to store them and hardly to play again will go back to my 4TB WD Black until I put in few TBs of SSD in the system possibly with the Skylake later down the road.

Don't look at it as the gamer's perspective only, keep the processor's performance for VM in also mind that in a way it will be helping me by providing me more performance.

What I mainly wanna know is if there is gonna be a significant performance difference on these two CPUs when it comes to VM as for gaming I already know I won't be gaining much if at all.

I didn't mean to imply that you use it for gaming but that the 4790k wouldn't lose its value because it is a good gaming platform. I guess that depends how many VM's do  you run at the same time?

I didn't mean to imply that you use it for gaming but that the 4790k wouldn't lose its value because it is a good gaming platform. I guess that depends how many VM's do  you run at the same time?

The more the better really in this case and you can easily say that 4790k can hold me back if 5820k will provide me better performance with same amount or more VMs running at the same time.

I guess what I really want to know is .. will VMWare Workstation be utilizing the extra 2 cores at all when used for Virtual Machines?

Buy a motherboard based on price and features. SATA ports. USB 3.1 type-c, m.2, etc. 

If you want to spend a lot on a motherboard than get a WS (workstation) board. Else get one of other mobs. 

Yes VMware will utilize the 2 extra cores. 

The 5820k in theory should give you better performance if your goal is as many VM's as possible. Just remember on the cheap side the Mobo the processor and the memory is going to set you back 700ish. I would have to guess than any VM software is programmed with multithread utilization. I can not answer definitively though as I haven't used VMware Workstation. I would email support about that and ask just to make sure as they will be able to confirm it without having to worry if someone on the forums is just talking out their ass. Not that that ever happens :blink:  <_<

Buy a motherboard based on price and features. SATA ports. USB 3.1 type-c, m.2, etc. 

If you want to spend a lot on a motherboard than get a WS (workstation) board. Else get one of other mobs. 

Yes VMware will utilize the 2 extra cores. 

So far for the sheer beauty of it, I'm liking the ASUS X99-Pro and X99-Deluxe mobos and their Rampage V Extreme seems like overpriced garbage in front of those to me at the moment as it's pretty outdated as well now but on the budget side Gigabyte 5P looks pretty decent but I'm surprised none of these have any back plates on their boards? The only one I saw so far is ASUS Sabertooth but it only supports DDR4 2400/ 2133 Non-ECC, Un-buffered memory which is kinda weird to me.

Any suggestons for the WS boards? Any specific model numbers or something for me to look at?

Thanks for your input.

The 5820k in theory should give you better performance if your goal is as many VM's as possible. Just remember on the cheap side the Mobo the processor and the memory is going to set you back 700ish. I would have to guess than any VM software is programmed with multithread utilization. I can not answer definitively though as I haven't used VMware Workstation. I would email support about that and ask just to make sure as they will be able to confirm it without having to worry if someone on the forums is just talking out their ass. Not that that ever happens :blink:  <_<

I guess I should email their support and see if they can put their input in it. The way I see it ... my current CPU, Mobo and RAM kit should be gone for around $800-850+ USD in Pakistan so if I can get 5820k with 32GB RAM with decent specs and a good mobo for 700ish .. it's not bad at all lol.

Edit: I will be buying processor and mobo locally most likely otherwise the processor for sure at least, the RAM will be bought from Canada as it's much cheaper and more variety there so if you have eyes on any good deal in Canada, I'm all ears ;)

Well if you can sell it for that 800 go for it. There's no way you could get that here in the states or probably in Canada. I didn't realize you meant you could save money by upgrading.

Well if you can sell it for that 800 go for it. There's no way you could get that here in the states or probably in Canada. I didn't realize you meant you could save money by upgrading.

I'm really not when I actually buy the parts from here so I have local warranty, if I buy it from Canada I won't have any local warranty and to send back the faulty parts and stuff is actually a pain and will end up costing me a fortune for replacement but yeah .. it is possible to actually save it if I buy it all from Canada.

Any way you can build and check it in Canada? Then if it goes wrong flying back the airline has to replace it. Just remember to have some sort of evidence like video and the receipts.

Any way you can build and check it in Canada? Then if it goes wrong flying back the airline has to replace it. Just remember to have some sort of evidence like video and the receipts.

I can always have my brother get them checked at Memory Express and their testing rig before purchasing and that should be good I assume but then again, I'm keen towards the warranty point of view if it takes me to pay only $30-40 USD more to have local warranty on a processor, it's worth it.

For RAM it's over $100 USD difference if bought locally, LPX 32GB Kit so I will be sticking with G.Skill or something for 32GB kit from Canada and have it tested at all speeds on their testing rig most likely.

I'm still confused about the motherboard. Gigabyte 5P is available locally with warranty and everything and I will be paying about $50-60 USD extra to buy it from locally rather than from Canada but then again it will give me an advantage of local warranty and resale value when and if I decide to sell it again when Skylake is out. However the ASUS boards are looking quite nice and I can get for the same price in Canada almost as I would get the Gigabyte 5P locally so still confused between mobos atm otherwise everything else looks good to go to me.

for the price of the asus x99-deluxe you could get a workstation class board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157538&cm_re=asrock_x99-_-13-157-538-_-Product

I personally have an X99-a and a Gigabyte UD4 and i don't like either of them hence why I'd go with ASRock. 

Nice but tbh with you, doesn't appeal to me one bit ... that blue is just hideous to me for some reason. I like my Black and Red combo build atm but wouldn't mind changing it with Black and White however what do you think about these two WS boards from ASUS.

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99E_WS/overview/

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99WSIPMI/overview/

They both do look kinda sexy but not as sexy as X99-Pro or Deluxe. Also I might just go with X99-Pro as I cannot see much of a difference between Deluxe and Pro anyway and with WS board I will have the option to max out my RAM to 128GB in future if I decide to use the components just for a server type kinda machine for VM which will be very very useful.

Any other smexy looking boards you have in mind?

Sorry for double post but ... ouch, looking at the pricing of these WS boards .. lol. I probably might go with X99-Pro or Gigabyte 5P for now unless any other good offerings from MSi or someone?

Edit: If everything stands true on this link, http://motherboards.specout.com/compare/4070-4071/ASUS-X99-DELUXE-vs-ASUS-X99-PRO - then it's not hard to see that X99 Pro is probably the best choice for me as compared to Deluxe so I guess that settles it if I'm going with ASUS then it'll be X99 Pro.

Now to look at other offerings from other brands? Oh and thanks a lot everyone for quick responses and helpful posts, it's highly appreciated!

If I was buying another X99 I would go with this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/448564/X99Extreme4-31_LGA_2011-3_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

It's only 230 USD and it has all the features I personally want. I don't like spending a lot for motherboards. Like I said I don't have good experience with Asus and Gigabyte so I'd go with ASRock but YMMV.

However if you need an ultra reliable setup for VMware servers you might want to consider getting a WS class board and/or a haswell-ep xeon cpu with ECC ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117499