4790k or 5820k for VM?

If I was buying another X99 I would go with this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/448564/X99Extreme4-31_LGA_2011-3_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

It's only 230 USD and it has all the features I personally want. I don't like spending a lot for motherboards. Like I said I don't have good experience with Asus and Gigabyte so I'd go with ASRock but YMMV.

However if you need an ultra reliable setup for VMware servers you might want to consider getting a WS class board and/or a haswell-ep xeon cpu with ECC ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117499

I'll definitely consider that but looks like a no go to me lol but like I said ... I highly appreciate your input on it.

As for that processor, it won't be only running VMware servers as it'll be a gaming machine too, 4K gaming machine to be exact like it is right now as I'm selling my 970 SLI for 980 Ti single first and then add another if I feel like it so I don't think Xeon will be the best choice at the moment. However I did consider a Xeon machine to setup just for VMware in future and stick with something decent for my gaming/daily machine but looks like the new stuff should be good and I can turn this current one into Xeon machine later on for VMware only and take out the parts I needed for gaming and replace it with server grade stuff and enjoy Skylake in future for gaming and Xeon for server separately provided if I ever need that much power to separate them both.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64
All powered by Corsair AX1200i

for gaming get the 5820k and whatever motherboard you want that will reliably OC to ~4.4ghz. Judging by how things are going I don't think intel will release a better bang for the buck CPU than the 5820k until at least 2017.

I wouldn't bother with the 980 TI SLI tho. Wait until Pascal comes out next year for a real single card 4k solution. 

for gaming get the 5820k and whatever motherboard you want. Judging by how things are going I don't think intel will release a better mainstream CPU than the 5820k until at least 2017.

I would;t bother with the 980 TI SLI tho. Wait until Pascal comes out next year for a real single card 4k solution. 

So you don't think Skylake will be worth the upgrade next year? If so .. that kinda makes me happy that I won't be missing much if I don't upgrade lol.

Yeah, I don't think I want 980 Ti in SLI either as utilizing SLI is rather crappy with those cards but I might still do it anyway for .. just because since it'll be quite some time til Pascal comes out.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64

are you gaming at 4k? Cuz a single 980 TI OC'd can handle 1080p and 1440p with ease. 

Skyline doesn't matter. It's the same old 4 core CPUs. Broadwell-e and skylake-e won't even matter unless they drop the price of the 8-core CPU to like 500 IMO for us 5820k owners as we are already 6 core and 4.4+ghz OC'd. Thus i really think the 5820k is good for the long hall. 

are you gaming at 4k? Cuz a single 980 TI OC'd can handle 1080p and 1440p with ease. 

Skyline doesn't matter. It's the same old 4 core CPUs. Broadwell-e and skylake-e won't even matter unless they drop the price of the 8-core CPU to like 500 IMO for us 5820k owners as we are already 6 core and 4.4+ghz OC'd. Thus i really think the 5820k is good for the long hall. 

Yes, I'm gaming at 4K with 970 in SLI with 50fps being average on GTA V and about 30 being average on The Witcher 3 but with 980 Ti even in Single or SLI will be better than 970 SLI for me for 4K gaming, keep in mind that I'm gaming with 4K G-Sync capable monitor which smooths the fps for me as well and gameplay is neat.

Okay, I thought I'd update this thread confirming that I went with 5820k for it's superior performance for VM and to be just fine in gaming as well even in future when developers decides to utilize more than 4 cores (if at all that is) then it'll still be pretty good if I don't upgrade to Skylake or anything in near future.

Not sure if I continue with this thread for my motherboard hunt now or just create a new thread, I might just create a new thread after using the search option to see what can be of help.

Once again, thank you everyone who helped. It's all very much appreciated!