AMD demonstrates FreeSync over HDMI

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9337/amd-shows-freesyncoverhdmi-concept-at-computex-2015

2.jpg

The monitor in question is running a running a Realtek TCON, with AMD and Realtek developing the prototype together. The TCON itself is by all indications a bog-standard TCON (i.e. not custom hardware), with the only difference being that Realtek has developed a custom firmware for it to support variable refresh operation and the FreeSync-over-HDMI technology.

On the signaling side, AMD tells us that they're running a custom protocol over HDMI 1.4a. As one might expect, the necessary functionality doesn't currently exist in HDMI, so AMD went and added the necessary functionality to their driver and the Realtek firmware in order for both ends to operate. Compared to FreeSync-over-DisplayPort all other operation is the same from what we're told, so the end result is the same kind of variable refresh support currently found in DPAS-enabled monitors, except now over HDMI instead of DisplayPort.

The goal here from AMD is very similar to what they did with DisplayPort last year. The company wants to introduce variable refresh support into the HDMI standard, making it a standardized (and common) feature of HDMI. The payoff for AMD and their users would be that getting variable refresh support into HDMI would allow FreeSync to potentially work with many more monitors, as DisplayPort is not found in all monitors whereas HDMI is. This is especially the case in cheaper monitors, which of course make up the bulk of monitor sales.

---

also, 1st FreeSync monitor to feature 30FPS minimum refresh rate:

NX-VUE24%20Social%20Media.jpg

---

FreeSync over HDMI - this could be really really big if it goes beyond proof of concept and the HDMI standard adopts the new specs

I guess they will push the required functionality into the HDMI official spec like they did for displayport.

As the article said it's useful because a lot of budget displays which typical gamers use do not have display port.

I guess they will push the required functionality into the HDMI official spec like they did for displayport.

As the article said it's useful because a lot of budget displays which typical gamers use do not have display port.

ironically hdmi costs money to implement whereas DP does not.

ironically hdmi costs money to implement whereas DP does not.

the hell are you talking about? to implement DP, you have to be member of VESA - and that's not free

the hell are you talking about? to implement DP, you have to be member of VESA - and that's not free

when i went to the hdmi site it said it requires a license fee. on the DP site it specifically said that it does not require a license fee.

Is this wrong or are the dp costs from somewhere else?

when i went to the hdmi site it said it requires a license fee. on the DP site it specifically said that it does not require a license fee.

Is this wrong or are the dp costs from somewhere else?

you mean VESA site? http://www.vesa.org/vesa-standards/

and only DP 1.1a is free: http://www.vesa.org/vesa-standards/free-standards (Not for new designs. Reference only.)

you skipped DVI

I did because it is kind of hybrid. If they make VGA first then DVI will be easy one.

Holy ....

This means we might see freesync on PS5 and XB2. Remember if Playstation gets this functionality, all Sony TV's will as well. And if it becomes an HDMI standard, the adoption will be fast.

This is why industry standards are so important. You'e never going to see an NVidia tv.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Really nice. VGA is next :D

Won't happen. VGA is dead, or soon to die. Remember reading most companies agreeing on getting rid of VGA by 2015 or so

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/241144,intel-announces-the-end-of-vga.aspx

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Won't happen. VGA is dead, or soon to die. Remember reading most companies agreeing on getting rid of VGA by 2015 or so

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/241144,intel-announces-the-end-of-vga.aspx

VGA might never die, it's a great legacy port that just works

just as the PS2, even today USB keyboards have issues

you can't beat analog

Hopefully we wont get any more idiots blaming freesync as the reason for not having a 30 fps minimum, but who am I kidding.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

This still requires the HDMI group to approve and implement such a feature, say in HDMI 2.1 or whatever.

Just cause AMD did it doesn't mean they can deploy it. Not with a standard like HDMI.

1080p 144hz 30 freesync display? Nice I'd like to have freesync without spending a ton on GPUs to keep up.

Yeah but are you really going to be playing games under 30FPS anyways? I'd argue that FS/GS doesn't even matter below 30 bc the experience is going to be bad regardless. 

Yeah but are you really going to be playing games under 30FPS anyways? I'd argue that FS/GS doesn't even matter below 30 bc the experience is going to be bad regardless.

Occasional dip to 25 or 30fps would be a lot more tolerable with freesync or g-sync. Obviously you don't want to be averaging under 30...

This still requires the HDMI group to approve and implement such a feature, say in HDMI 2.1 or whatever.

Just cause AMD did it doesn't mean they can deploy it. Not with a standard like HDMI.

It's possible to do it without having it as part of the HDMI standard. All that is required is that the graphics card and monitor can communicate properly. If they have monitors with custom firmware designed to recognize their special HDMI protocol then it can work fine. As you will note, G-SYNC is not part of the DisplayPort standard and yet it works fine.

Its about averages: the only reason I don't run everything maxed in both Witcher 3 and GTA V is because while my average is well over 60 certain densely populated areas often dip into the low 40s often, maybe even high 30s. So right now I wanna average 80 or 90 FPS so my minimum FPS is close to 60 but with Freesynch you can potentially still have a good experience even while it goes in the 40s and such since it's not a binary, multiples of 30.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Some people wanted to walk up and down FreeSync technology and here we are with a display that matches Nvidia's dynamic range (at least on the low side). With it utilizing an open industry standard it is not going to take long before FreeSync completely overruns the market. Landing FreeSync in consoles alone will put the technology at an adoption point that Nvidia could never reach with their offering. The better implementation will always win.

I feel like AMD announced HDMI FreeSync too soon unless they already got the ball rolling with the HDMI Forum. If they didn't then they just lit a fire under Nvidia to adapt G-Sync with HDMI if they aren't already working on it and there were already rumors of HDMI G-Sync. I'm willing to bet that a proprietary version of variable refresh rate monitor comes out before any open standard if we look at how long Displayport FreeSync took.

Some people wanted to walk up and down FreeSync technology and here we are with a display that matches Nvidia's dynamic range (at least on the low side). With it utilizing an open industry standard it is not going to take long before FreeSync completely overruns the market. Landing FreeSync in consoles alone will put the technology at an adoption point that Nvidia could never reach with their offering. The better implementation will always win.

Sony and Microsoft would be stupid not to aggressively pursue having AMD implement this on their planned next gen consoles (Or hell - even in a console revision like the "Slim" variant). Sony would especially be able to benefit, since they could team it with "compatibility" on whatever new lineup of HDTV's they were developing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sony and Microsoft would be stupid not to aggressively pursue having AMD implement this on their planned next gen consoles (Or hell - even in a console revision like the "Slim" variant). Sony would especially be able to benefit, since they could team it with "compatibility" on whatever new lineup of HDTV's they were developing.

It certainly would be an all new selling point for both the consoles and displays "make sure you get the PS5 and our new Totum 9000 92" HDTV with FreeSync support!".

So DP would be better option either way while it would work same on any?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |