Apple Watch?

Spev

I know these seem kinda gimmicky, but they look cool to me. I know it's probably smart to wait till the next gen of smart watches, but anyone have one of these? They just seem cool, & I have an iPhone so obviously they would pair. Thanks for any feedback or discussion.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I know it's probably smart to wait till the next gen of smart watches

Pun intended?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They do not appeal to me in any way. I would just wear a normal watch, if I wore one in the first place.... I don't need more tech on my body. I already have a smart phone in my front pocket.

Well I'm still waiting for mine. June 22nd, and I ordered on april 14 (2 days before preorder date)

Nice. Are they a struggle to get right now? Looks like you had to wait a month for yours. I was under the assumption they have been out for a bit, & I could just walk into an apple store and buy one? Also what features are you looking forward to in the watch?

They do not appeal to me in any way. I would just wear a normal watch, if I wore one in the first place.... I don't need more tech on my body. I already have a smart phone in my front pocket.

I feel this first gen of smart watches is a bit weak. It's a new technology and innovation, but I actually have a feeling it will take off. Lots of companies are making watches & investing into it. I think in 5 years (similar to when smart phones started) I think there will be many more useful apps and functionality from the watch. I think it's something that will be a lot bigger 5 years from now & don't think it's just a phase, just imo but only time will tell.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Nice. Are they a struggle to get right now? Looks like you had to wait a month for yours. I was under the assumption they have been out for a bit, & I could just walk into an apple store and buy one? Also what features are you looking forward to in the watch?

They are very VERY hard to get. Walking into a store and just buying one (Besides the gold ones) is not possible if you order one now, expect jury-august delivery dates depending on which one you order.

As for features, Receiving notifications would be VERY nice, and having a full iPhone like device on your wrist would be quite cool as well. 

I have one sitting net to me. Nobody using it but I've worn one and it feels nice, but doesn't feel like the $350 I just spent went anywhere. We will see when I get it. 

They are very VERY hard to get. Walking into a store and just buying one (Besides the gold ones) is not possible if you order one now, expect jury-august delivery dates depending on which one you order.

As for features, Receiving notifications would be VERY nice, and having a full iPhone like device on your wrist would be quite cool as well. 

I have one sitting net to me. Nobody using it but I've worn one and it feels nice, but doesn't feel like the $350 I just spent went anywhere. We will see when I get it. 

I will probably just wait till they are more common, to the point where I could walk into an apple store and buy one. But I think the "next gen" of these will probably be a while from now. I'll probably just wait till then, next time I'm gonna get one though. I feel they will take off in the future.

I'd go Pebble unless you really want the AW.

Or wait for the Pebble Time.

Smart watches are kinda like mobile phones.  When mobiles were introduced people where saying, "I can see how that'd be handy in certain situations, but I don't have a use for one and could not justify the price"  Now people ask how we ever survived without  them.  In fact I would bet 90% of this forum don't even know life without mobile technology.

They will become a big thing, they will get cheaper.  They will probably replace the phone altogether (assuming a second display is used like in glasses or on the arm of a jacket).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I personally would rather put $350 on a LG G Watch Urbane just because it looks more like an actual watch and honestly that's really nice. I also like the Moto 360 but the flat tire at the bottom sucks, honestly wait and see if Google brings compatibility of Android Wear to iOS.

@mr moose Okay that's a little far fetched but I do think that in the next 3 to 5 years the Smart Watch will become the successor to watches. It isn't impossible for a company such as Cartier or Mondaine to make a Smart Watch, however with the way Apple works the probably wouldn't run whatever OS Apple puts on the Apple Watch but most likely Android Wear or their own interface that works a lot like Pebble's integration. 

@AMorassOfPixelz Besides the basic display but the shell of the Pebble Steel is on fleek. inb4 I'd still go for the LG G Watch Urbane because I'm a sucker for Material design in Lollipop and the G Watch Urbane is well classy. Also choice is nice, even though the iPhone 6 does look nice [especially in Gold]... 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I'm an Apple User and Fan but I think the Apple Watch is stupid. It'd be more appealing if all versions would be half the price.

Hello Internet!

I have one. My dad does too. It's a novelty. It definitely has a wow factor (people ask me about it all the time). Yeah you can call people and check your email but really you can just use your phone.

Smart watches are kinda like mobile phones.  When mobiles were introduced people where saying, "I can see how that'd be handy in certain situations, but I don't have a use for one and could not justify the price"  Now people ask how we ever survived without  them.  In fact I would bet 90% of this forum don't even know life without mobile technology.

They will become a big thing, they will get cheaper.  They will probably replace the phone altogether (assuming a second display is used like in glasses or on the arm of a jacket).

Meh. I think it will take off, I have no doubt in 5 years itll be pretty big just my opinion. I don't ever see it replacing the phone though anytime soon at all.

I personally would rather put $350 on a LG G Watch Urbane just because it looks more like an actual watch and honestly that's really nice. I also like the Moto 360 but the flat tire at the bottom sucks, honestly wait and see if Google brings compatibility of Android Wear to iOS.

@mr moose Okay that's a little far fetched but I do think that in the next 3 to 5 years the Smart Watch will become the successor to watches. It isn't impossible for a company such as Cartier or Mondaine to make a Smart Watch, however with the way Apple works the probably wouldn't run whatever OS Apple puts on the Apple Watch but most likely Android Wear or their own interface that works a lot like Pebble's integration. 

@AMorassOfPixelz Besides the basic display but the shell of the Pebble Steel is on fleek. inb4 I'd still go for the LG G Watch Urbane because I'm a sucker for Material design in Lollipop and the G Watch Urbane is well classy. Also choice is nice, even though the iPhone 6 does look nice [especially in Gold]... 

Why is it far fetched?   what you say about it being far fetched is what people said about the internet, about mobile phones and about computers in general back in the 80's.  Many people who don't need a larger screen will surely prefer a watch to carrying a phone.  I certainly would.  And trying to predict what OS they will use in the future is just not possible.  Applewatch already outsold all Androidwear watches in the first two weeks from release, what tomorrow brings could be something even bigger than both apple or android.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why is it far fetched?   what you say about it being far fetched is what people said about the internet, about mobile phones and about computers in general back in the 80's.  Many people who don't need a larger screen will surely prefer a watch to carrying a phone.  I certainly would.  And trying to predict what OS they will use in the future is just not possible.  Applewatch already outsold all Androidwear watches in the first two weeks from release, what tomorrow brings could be something even bigger than both apple or android.  

True but this is slightly different a watch is rather a small object not much can be done on a watch just because the of the the tiny display. Granted it's totally possible in a few years from now the manufacture process will allow for 10nm ULV chips that have close to the same processing power as say a Snapdragon 810 which comparative to computers isn't much for something such as a watch that is pretty cool. Unless we can make an interface that is more intuitive than the tiny touch screen or a digital crown then sure perhaps in most instances a Watch could functionally replace a phone in certain regards. Also to be fair Apple does throw more at marketing than Google or the Smartwatch Manufacturers, and of course the tech illiterate consumer would think "Apple is so innovative, who would have thought of making a watch with a touch screen." This is of course presuming that they only know Google as it was in its early days [as Only a Search Engine] they might know Google as more than that but they'd still say but it's Apple. [Don't get me wrong I don't mind Apple and would as it stands prefer a rMBP 13/15 over a Dell XPS 13/15 but ffs people need to stop thinking that just because it's Apple means it's automatically going to be the best thing you can get. An i7 5960X with 64GB of 3000MHz Ram, two 1.2TB PCIe SSDs, and a Titan X Two Way SLI would be more or less of the best thing you can get.]

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

True but this is slightly different a watch is rather a small object not much can be done on a watch just because the of the the tiny display. Granted it's totally possible in a few years from now the manufacture process will allow for 10nm ULV chips that have close to the same processing power as say a Snapdragon 810 which comparative to computers isn't much for something such as a watch that is pretty cool. Unless we can make an interface that is more intuitive than the tiny touch screen or a digital crown then sure perhaps in most instances a Watch could functionally replace a phone in certain regards. Also to be fair Apple does throw more at marketing than Google or the Smartwatch Manufacturers, and of course the tech illiterate consumer would think "Apple is so innovative, who would have thought of making a watch with a touch screen." This is of course presuming that they only know Google as it was in its early days [as Only a Search Engine] they might know Google as more than that but they'd still say but it's Apple. [Don't get me wrong I don't mind Apple and would as it stands prefer a rMBP 13/15 over a Dell XPS 13/15 but ffs people need to stop thinking that just because it's Apple means it's automatically going to be the best thing you can get. An i7 5960X with 64GB of 3000MHz Ram, two 1.2TB PCIe SSDs, and a Titan X Two Way SLI would be more or less of the best thing you can get.]

I wasn't insinuating apple was better or anything about google. I was simply illustrating that you can't predict future OS success because in the blink of an eye the landscape can change significantly.  Good bad or otherwise is irrelevant and mostly subjective anyway.

With regard to watches replacing phones, watch this space.

The Apple watch at this point really is trash

It's not just useless (relatively speaking) but it's unintuitive. Using it an navigating just doesn't make sense.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it