PC Build Showdown: Intel i3/AMD Radeon R9 270X v.s Intel i5/NVIDIA GeForce GT 740

First time posting here, but someone on another forum asked for help with building a PC.  Now, me and another user are having a dispute and some outside opinions from the argument itself would be helpful.  My build is a revise of his, and what I changed is the CPU, GPU and Memory(from a single stick to a dual stick).

My Build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

His Build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Bn2F99

First time posting here, but someone on another forum asked for help with building a PC.  Now, me and another user are having a dispute and some outside opinions from the argument itself would be helpful.  My build is a revise of his, and what I changed is the CPU, GPU and Memory(from a single stick to a dual stick).

For gaming, hands down the i3+270X. The GT 740 is not a powerful card, although the i5 will provide some performance increase over the i3 if using the same GPU, the 270X over the GT 740 will give you a much bigger performance increase.

"Rawr XD"

The "my build" link is not the right link, but i3 w/ 270x will 360 no scope the i5.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

I have a GT 740m :(  nah jk that's my dad's. I'm stuck with HD 4000. Can't wait till I get a PC next May. It'll have a GTX 1080 and I'll play at 1080p just for lolz

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

While the CPU is important the GPU is the primary concern when it comes to gaming. The i3/270 build is a much smarter choice as the i3 will still perform quite well in comparison to the i5 but the 270 will perform much much better than the 740.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I5 gtx 740 sucks. The i3 will demolish it. Gpu does 70% of the work for gaming

While the CPU is important the GPU is the primary concern when it comes to gaming. The i3/270 build is a much smarter choice as the i3 will still perform quite well in comparison to the i5 but the 270 will perform much much better than the 740.

Omg that gif xD

Omg that gif xD

eez nise rite? maek u sexi tiem?

6e4362de17.gif

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Personally, I give AMD no credit to their hardware at all.  I've heard nothing but bad things about AMD, and I've only seen nothing but bad things come from AMD.

the i3 and 270 ftw. The 270 is a far more capable gpu for gaming. The 270x > 270 > 750ti > 750 > 740. The i5 just can't overcome this gap. Unless there is plans to upgrade the gpu to a much better one in the near future, the i3 can provide a good experience now.

Personally, I give AMD no credit to their hardware at all. I've heard nothing but bad things about AMD, and I've only seen nothing but bad things come from AMD.

Well that says alot about you and what you know.

AMD may not be tops, but they aren't garbage either.

I made a quick revise to my build, I put the same CPU he used back and changed the GPU to a 2GB/GDDR5 750ti with a faster clock.

I made a quick revise to my build, I put the same CPU he used back and changed the GPU to a 2GB/GDDR5 750ti with a faster clock.

Better but the 270x, that's what the other guy chose right, is a noticeably better card.

I'm still iffy on the AMD card, I would load my current GTX 260 into a rig over an AMD 270.

i3 and 270x for sure. It easily beats a 750ti, let alone a lowly 740. Not only is the 740 kepler a lot slower it also is not getting as well optimized drivers for newer games compare to AMD GPUs. Let go your prejudices and don't fall for marketing hype. Buy the best GPU in your price range regardless of NVIDIA vs AMD. My R9 290 is the best thing I've ever owned. Both companies know what they are doing when it comes to GPUs, although fanboys will tell you otherwise.

I don't think so, I'm way more interested in the actual hardware quality than performance.  AMD is a company known to sacrifice things like quality to get a higher low-end GPU power.  I'm in more favor of my original build because DX12 is coming soon and the 270x isn't DX12 compatable as to where the 740 is and can be later upgraded.  If it were up to me and this was my PC that I was buying I would load it with a GTX 770 instead and buy each part individually over the course of 2-3 months, but this isn't my PC I'm building and I'm not sure if they wanna wait that long.  While the wait will be long, you'll end up with a PC that's more than worth the wait and in this case, I would also up the CPU to an i7.

AMD hardware quality is 2nd to none. 270x supports DX12 and Vulkan. And any card can be later upgraded, you are not stuck with NVIDIA or AMD for life.

740 is not a good buy, neither is the 770 or any kepler anymore.

I hate to say this but... You came here to get advice on the best build. You got it. but you are not happy because it doesn't fit the preconceived prejudices and marketing that was lodged in your head. It seems like you are just searching for validation, don't do that, because most people on tech forums will tell you the best choices to buy and not just what you want to hear.

Basically if it means that much to you then go with the 740. But don't try to look at tech forums for validation of your choice because you will not get it, you will get a more rational answer from people who are looking at which GPU will give you the best experience overall.

If you want so badly to go with it then just do so, good luck and happy gaming.

2nd to none?  Are you sure we're talking about the same AMD?  You know, the AMD known for having GPU's that run extremely hot and really load?  Because, I don't think we're talking about the same AMD which is second to both of their competitors in the CPU and GPU markets respectively.

2nd to none? Are you sure we're talking about the same AMD? You the AMD known for having GPU's that run extremely hot and really load?

Yes we are talking about the same AMD. The only recent AMD GPU that ran hot and loud was stock hawai, and that was due to a bad inadequate cooler. Nobody is recommending that you buy that. Similarly a stock nvida geforce 480 runs hot and loud and you should not buy that. I bought a good AMD Hawaii, a 290 vapor-x which stays very cool and quiet. You must understand it's not about NVIDIA vs AMD, it's about finding the best individual product in your budget. Neither the 740 or 270x is hot or loud so this discussion is irrelevant. Also nobody is recommending that you buy an AMD CPU and that's because Intel is better for game performance at most price ranges, not in terms of hardware quality as you call it but in terms of performance. In terms of quality both will work fine.

Like I said bro, calm down and just buy the 740 since it means that much to you. I hope your friend has a good time gaming. But stop looking for validation on tech forums.

A: Not my friend, random person on a forum.

B: I'm not sure how siding with AMD is logical.

It's not about siding, it's about the best individual product. The problem is that you have made it into an AMD vs Nvidia thing. Whereas in reality it's not about the company. both companies make great products.

If you had a made a topic about R9 290 vs 970 for similar price then most of us would have said get the 970. Not because it's NVIDIA, but because out of those two individual products the 970 is better (provided similar price).

Yeah, we're definitely not talking about the same AMD.  Anything a GTX can get thrown into, an AMD will never have a spot in the market.

Oh yeah, I almost for got.  I have a friend that runs a GTX 770 and a friend that runs a R9 290x and the GTX 770 blows the 290x out of the water.  Even my GTX 260 blows the 290x out of the water and it has 7 years of wear and tear on it. xD

Yeah, we're definitely not talking about the same AMD.  Anything a GTX can get thrown into, an AMD will never have a spot in the market.

Oh yeah, I almost for got.  I have a friend that runs a GTX 770 and a friend that runs a R9 290x and the GTX 770 blows the 290x out of the water.  Even my GTX 260 blows the 290x out of the water and it has 7 years of wear and tear on it. xD

Are you just trolling us? Cause either you are doing this for the lulz, or there is a VERY thick level of ignorance here.

AMD may not be the best in the market but they make quality products that are more often then not better performing at their respective price points (individual market conditions apply).