Question about CPUs

Hi im currently building a gaming tower and im just wondering what's the best Cpu for a gaming tower

don't worry about the budget im just curious whats the best CPUs for gaming in the market right now even its pricey..

2nd what's the best CPU money wise?.

3rd does number of cores matter? .

4th does it matter what motherboard i use for each CPU?.

i7 4790K or i7 5820K

i5 4690k

a quad core CPU will do the job, but some game will work find even on dual core, 4 treads CPU like the i3

use only the Z97 for unlocked K CPUs

otherwise use H97 for locked CPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Best cpu - i7 4790k

2. i5 4690k

3. Yes

4. Yes and u want to have one cpu, two are for servers end alike

3: yes, to a point. (18 core xeons for gaming is just a joke...)

4: this is debatable, but i suggest sticking with a quality motherboard.

true, didn't go into detail because i broke my hand (typing with my left hand only)

on your answer in number 3 does that mean 18 core xeons for gaming is not really a good idea??

can you explain why cause you said number of cores too matter so the higher the number the better then why 18 is a joke just wondering

and for best CPU why not i7-5930k it has more core than i7-4790k? sorry im really new so i have alot question

and thank you so much for helping me out with all you guys information

on your answer in number 3 does that mean 18 core xeons for gaming is not really a good idea??

can you explain why cause you said number of cores too matter so the higher the number the better then why 18 is a joke just wondering

and for best CPU why not i7-5930k it has more core than i7-4790k? sorry im really new so i have alot question

for -MOST- games (theres exceptions, we all know they exist) you dont need more than 4 cores.

the i7's hyperthreading gives the advantage of having 4 extra threads to push the background junk into (skype, rainmeter, etc)

thats why a 4790K is the best cpu for gaming, thats still sensible in cost, and the sweetspot of price per performance is an i5.

there -are- situations where you can make use of extra cores, like when livestreaming with a slow x264 profile for better quality, but the price for these systems goes up a lot when going to the higher core count, so its generally not worth it.

xeons are for rendering and cpu heavy tasks or being a server and handling shittons of information at once, the base clock speeds are too low for gaming today anyway and xeons arent overclockable(sure someone can find a way...)

5930k is only worth if youre gonna do video and photo editing in addition to gaming(this goes for 5820k too), or if youre doing a 4x sli/cf setup as the 5930k supports up to 40pcie lanes.

as for now 4core cpus with hyperthreading at a clock of 3.5 or higher is pretty much the best you can get :) for gaming that is.

Cpu: Intel i7-5930k Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme Ram: G.skill Ripjaws 4 4x4gb 2666mhz Gpu: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 
PSU: Evga Supernova G2 850W Storage: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512gb Case: Phanteks P400S CPUcooler: Corsair H110 OS: Win 8.1

if you are just concerned with gaming the best is the i5 4690k

the best for the money would be either the i5 4440 or the i5 4460 depending on motherboard pricing

yes number of cores matters, you don't want dual cores but you don't want amd either. they seriously under perform even when overclocked.

motherboard selection matters to a point. with intel you can get away with a cheap board. you'll want to make sure you get the right chipset though. for the 4690k you'll want to get a z97 board, for the i5 4460 you'll need to get an h97 board and for the i5 4440 you can use any lga 1150 socket motherboard, including the cheap as chips h81 and b85 chipset boards.

one last caveat. don't go for the "best" cpu for gaming if you can get a better graphics card by getting a 4440 or 4460. gaming depends far less on the cpu. those two low end i5s are more than capable of keeping the high end graphics cards busy. Don't go for anything less than an i5 however.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Hi im currently building a gaming tower and im just wondering what's the best Cpu for a gaming tower

don't worry about the budget im just curious whats the best CPUs for gaming in the market right now even its pricey..

2nd what's the best CPU money wise?.

3rd does number of cores matter? .

4th does it matter what motherboard i use for each CPU?.

1-Best gaming CPU out of the box is i7-4790K due to increased out of the box clockspeed.

2- moneywise i'd say the cheapest haswell core i5 available to you (probably i5-4460 or somehting along those lines)

3- Yes...of course they do...you want 4 INTEL(AKA NOT AMD) cores for modern AAA gaming.

4- Motherboard chipset affect features, not performance...so get the board that is compatible with the CPU you pick and has the features you need.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1. Best for pure gaming would be i5 4690k. Current games don't make use of all the cores an i7 can provide with hyperthreading (Games like single core performance more than quantity of cores).  Thus 18-core xeon makes no sense.

2. i7 4790k still isn't a bad choice

3. See 1

4. Yes, match up your sockets, and get a good quality motherboard.

cool now i understand the CPU and cores thanks.. but one more question

Can a i7-4790k handle a 2-way SLI TITAN x

and any suggestion what motherboard can handle it and or whats the best for it

thank you guys for the help

if that cpu couldn't handle sli titan x then no cpu could. the cpu only uses one single core to feed instructions to the gpu(s) so yes it can.

for the motherboard, any decent z97 board will do. the asus z97-a is a good starting point, if you want something a little better there is the sabertooth line or the maximus line from asus. any of these would be good choices. i'm not too familiar with motherboards that aren't asus, since asus boards were always awesome in my builds i've only ever used them.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

yes, and a motherboard that supports sli and the cpu

Cpu: Intel i7-5930k Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme Ram: G.skill Ripjaws 4 4x4gb 2666mhz Gpu: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 
PSU: Evga Supernova G2 850W Storage: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512gb Case: Phanteks P400S CPUcooler: Corsair H110 OS: Win 8.1

if that cpu couldn't handle sli titan x then no cpu could. the cpu only uses one single core to feed instructions to the gpu(s) so yes it can.

for the motherboard, any decent z97 board will do. the asus z97-a is a good starting point, if you want something a little better there is the sabertooth line or the maximus line from asus. any of these would be good choices. i'm not too familiar with motherboards that aren't asus, since asus boards were always awesome in my builds i've only ever used them.

i like asus too im thinking about getting Rampage V extreme what can you say about that?

and is it worth it to buy it? or is there a better motherboard for a lower price that can be as good as Rampage V extreme.

i like asus too im thinking about getting Rampage V extreme what can you say about that?

and is it worth it to buy it? or is there a better motherboard for a lower price that can be as good as Rampage V extreme.

find the board that has the features you want. with motherboards you pay for features so if you don't need all the features of the rampage, go down the chain until you find one with the features you want, without too many extras. 

My rig:

rampage v extreme is for 2011-3 cpus, for the 4790k you need a 1150 socket mobo

find the board that has the features you want. with motherboards you pay for features so if you don't need all the features of the rampage, go down the chain until you find one with the features you want, without too many extras. 

any suggestion? im not good at picking motherboard tbh since idk anything about motherboards

rampage v extreme is for 2011-3 cpus, for the 4790k you need a 1150 socket mobo

any good suggestion u have?

thanks guys sorry im really new at building a Tower

any suggestion? im not good at picking motherboard tbh since idk anything about motherboards

any good suggestion u have?

thanks guys sorry im really new at building a Tower

well if you don't need or want many extravagant features (like m.2 sata for m.2 sata ssd drives) then going with the asus z97-A is a good choice. it is a great motherboard, excellent uefi bios and great overclocking. has all the standard features, lacking some features like wifi, usb bios flashback (although it does have usb ezflash), it doesn't have m.2 sata, which I don't care about really. 

it is a great board at the lower end of the price spectrum. if you want more features check out the z97 sabertooth mark 2. I can't tell you what you want so i can just point you in the right direction. i hope these two boards help you out with getting started.

if you really can't decide then you don't need anything more than the Z97-A. it is a solid board. I have it and it has impressed me completely.

My rig:

well if you don't need or want many extravagant features (like m.2 sata for m.2 sata ssd drives) then going with the asus z97-A is a good choice. it is a great motherboard, excellent uefi bios and great overclocking. has all the standard features, lacking some features like wifi, usb bios flashback (although it does have usb ezflash), it doesn't have m.2 sata, which I don't care about really.

it is a great board at the lower end of the price spectrum. if you want more features check out the z97 sabertooth mark 2. I can't tell you what you want so i can just point you in the right direction. i hope these two boards help you out with getting started.

if you really can't decide then you don't need anything more than the Z97-A. it is a solid board. I have it and it has impressed me completely.

this, unless you need anything specific, the z97-a is a solid choice since it has pretty much what anyone would want anyway.