recommended IDEs (C++)

bobhays

Hi everyone, I'm looking to start programming in c++. I have some basic java experience from high school but i'm still pretty new. I know basics like arrays, loops, variables, data types etc.

Anyways the real question is what are some IDEs that you guys recommend for c++. I tried out NetBeans the other day and I had a lot of trouble setting up the compiler and build host. It was such a pain I just decided to look for something else.

Codeblocks or Visual Studio.

If you're not doing a big project I recommend Codeblocks. It's very easy to work with it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Visual Studio if you are on windows, Xcode if you are on OS X :)

Xcode in new projects only recognizes swift and objective-c now...c++ isnt even offered...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Visual Studio all the way, very powerful, can compile on multiple platforms without problems and engines like Unity and Unreal integrate it as part of the development platform in a sexy way.

JetBrains just released CLion not too long ago. It is multiplatform and is pretty nice.

https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/

Many yes to clion. I almost exclusively use jet brains products.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Xcode in new projects only recognizes swift and objective-c now...c++ isnt even offered...

I'm on version 6.1.1 and C++ is offered, if they removed it (which seems weird to me I won't update)

When I took C++ and Java my teacher told us to use jGrasp, which is very simple to use. If you're programing for windows systems only I'd say visual studio, because otherwise you have to clear the windows headers every time you start a new project. If you want your programs to run on any computer jGrasp is a little easier because it doesn't deal with windows only headers and stuff like that. I've messed around with eclipse too and It seems pretty good too.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

I'm on version 6.1.1 and C++ is offered, if they removed it (which seems weird to me I won't update)

I rechecked, its restricting c++ to certain project types now. some projects can no longer be made in it(i did further checks alot of project types dont offer c++ as an option anymore). (6.3.1)

Also i wouldnt be shocked if apple doesnt want people coding normal applications in c++  in order to promote objective-c and swift...

Personally im hanging out for the new free version of visual studio for mac they were promoting at the recent tech conference...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Personally im hanging out for the new free version of visual studio for mac they were promoting at the recent tech conference...

If you're talking about Visual Studio Code, you can try it out now.

This has been my journey :-

Turbo C++  >>  Code::Blocks  >>  Visual Studio  >>  Notepad++ (yes you can compile and run from the editor)  >>  Netbeans

There's always a way...

Code::blocks all the way, cross platform, veeeeery light and very usable to me, and it even includes tetris!

Why not Eclipse?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

Visual Studio

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I personally use Notepad++ and GDB.

Visual Studio is alright for C++ I guess. It's pretty slow and has some weird quirks though

I like the use Sublime Text 3 to write and MinGW or GCC (Depending on if I'm on Windows or Linux) to compile. I used to use Visual Studio but I disliked all the extra clutter project files that were needed.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

My personal recommendations are Visual Studio or Code::Blocks. If you're looking for a simple cross platform IDE then code blocks but if you're looking for something much more powerful then my vote is for Visual Studio. I've tried a few flavours of eclipse and hated all of them. (2 of them being custom versions of Eclipse for different things like programming a cRIO, as well as another custom implementation and of course the open source version of eclipse.)

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Visual Studio Code is looking pretty sweet. I'm a big fan of simplistic IDE's that's not bogged down with a million different features so you can get straight to coding.

Haven't used it yet but it looks like it's worth a try.

Visual Studio, bar none, I would only learn in that as its the industry standard for programming with C/C++/C#/.NET 

Visual Studio, bar none, I would only learn in that as its the industry standard for programming with C/C++/C#/.NET 

There are still many companies that use GDB as their primary debugger for c/c++.

There are several people in my class who've had to use GCC/G++ and GDB when working co-op.

Netbeans if you really must go with an IDE jam-packed with tabs and buttons. I personally like the more spartan and easily customized Emacs, but many in this community think I'm crazy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd