Does it make sense to overclock?

Hello, I'm running a intel core i5 4690K and a EVGA gtx 980 ACX 2.0 4gb.

They are currently running as is, I have not overclocked them.

The only thing I do with the computer is to game.
I'm playing GTA V and I'm wondering if it makes sense to overclock.

I have no problems running the game at max settings on 1080p but I do want some experience on overclocking.

What would you do? Do you need more info?

If you're getting 60FPS Ultra without overclocking, don't overclock. Not worth it.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

If you're getting 60FPS Ultra without overclocking, don't overclock. Not worth it.

I think I'm at ultra if there's no setting that I have missed. I saw something in the settings that I couldn't use. It was grayed out and I think it said "NVidia" something. Could you tell me more about it?

Sorry to hijack the thread.... But Rexis... please adjust your signature, I think it is in the CoC, that you cant use font size over 14 :)

I think I'm at ultra if there's no setting that I have missed. I saw something in the settings that I couldn't use. It was grayed out and I think it said "NVidia" something. Could you tell me more about it?

That's probably nVidia PCSS and it shouldn't be grayed out for you. Might need to look into that. 

Edit; Also there's nVidia TXAA which will be grayed out unless you use MSAA x2 or x4. 

Sorry to hijack the thread.... But Rexis... please adjust your signature, I think it is in the CoC, that you cant use font size over 14 :)

You could have just PMed me :P

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

CPU overclocking is pretty much always worth it, in GTA 5 going up to 4.4GHz made my game a little more stable and smooth, and in other games there was a noticeable performance boost over stock.

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

That's probably nVidia PCSS and it shouldn't be grayed out for you. Might need to look into that. 

Edit; Also there's nVidia TXAA which will be grayed out unless you use MSAA x2 or x4. 

It's probably the TXAA I'm thinking about, what is the difference?

CPU overclocking is pretty much always worth it, in GTA 5 going up to 4.4GHz made my game a little more stable and smooth, and in other games there was a noticeable performance boost over stock.

How much do you think I can push my CPU to? I'm using a Noctua NH-U12S.

I don't know much about it, if I'm honest. All I know is it's supposed to be better somehow. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in. 

With FULL notion that the machine in question is ALREADY CAPABLE for ALL it's needs.....then...read the following with that in mind...

If your not doing content creation (encoding) or getting paid for your work that you do on an overclocked processor then there may be hardly any point.

It's plain old fun though... getting 20-30% faster encoding times and enjoying maximum potential all round, esp in multithreaded apps... makes it very worthwhile...

But..

Gaming machine (primary focus of the machine) performance will only rise a few fps (no absolute number of how much of a gain) but not much really in todays games, even with a 30% CPU OC, and even with a decent 20% GPU OC your only gaining 5-15fps MINFPS and only a few single digit AVG gains (which can be a great addition) but hardly needed if your already pushing 65-90FPS+ constantly, you then hardly need to OC at all...

There may be a time in the future when its needed,in future titles or when DX12 lands and you wanna push the envelope and you could very well start learning now,...

Or.. build a 2nd hand $50-150 system out of junk and try overclocking that for experience in the variables needed to learn.

Don't risk your main machine on something like this, even with motherboard/psu protections in place, you CAN damage gear or make the machine more unstable in less time over the time of its use. I'd start on a different machine if you could, then try it on yours afterwards.

Again, if your not using your theoretical OC potential to the max, then it maybe hardly worth using an OC if your Base/Turbo/Stock frequencies cover all the bases.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

How much do you think I can push my CPU to? I'm using a Noctua NH-U12S.

Mine is stable 4.4GHz at 1.25v. Look around at what other people can get, dial in at that and then adjust voltages to suit your processor, 4.6GHz should be around spot on if you want more speed for rendering, else 4.4GHz should do you for games, but your cooler will do fine at either

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760