PSU Off While PC Not In Use?

reapersivan

Does it matter if your PC is off but the PSU switch is on? Or is it different than having the PSU Switch off after finished using PC? I was just curious.

You mean the switch on the back? You don't need to flip it is not using any power when the PC is off

-------

Current Rig

-------

You mean the switch on the back? You don't need to flip it is not using any power when the PC is off

I don't know why but I feel comfortable knowing the switch is off, I just wanna know if anything is wrong if I do so

Probably means that your BIOS settings are relying on the backup battery power to be saved. That will not last forever.

I don't know why but I feel comfortable knowing the switch is off, I just wanna know if anything is wrong if I do so

There is nothing wrong with turning it off from the back. Just means you'll have to constantly turn the switch on and off when using it and now using it. You'll probably get sick of it eventually and stop doing it.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Probably means that your BIOS settings are relying on the backup battery power to be saved. That will not last forever.

confused

confused

The small battery on your motherboard keeps your BIOS settings in the BIO's RAM when there is no power to the PC (power supply switch is off). This battery eventually runs out, so it's actually better for it to keep your PSU switch on when your PC is off.

Also on most motherboards you can charge your phone using your PC while it's off and PSU is on, putting that standby power to better use.

"Rawr XD"

Yea, there is a battery on your motherboard that keeps a few things going when the power is completely off/unplugged, one of those is the system clock.  If you always flip the switch in the back every time you turn off the computer, this battery will get used more and need replacing sooner.  It is a $10 watch battery and not a big deal to replace but annoying when your system clock and bios settings suddenly reset to default.

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10