Dell U2515H or Acer G257HU?

Zernell

Hey guys. I wanted to get a nice 1440p IPS monitor for the gaming computer I'm building next month and had pretty much set up on the Dell U2515H since I also see a lot of people recommending this monitor here. But then I saw someone recommend the Acer G257HU to someone else on another thread and while I was taking a look at it, I noticed that both of them are pretty similar.

Both are 1440p monitors, have IPS panels and 25' screens.The Acer seems to have a 4ms response time but not sure about the Dell and the price difference between both of them is around $150 (Acer being the cheaper one).

So what exactly makes the Dell be the better option over the Acer in order to warrant that huge price gap? I know the Dell seems to have thinner bezels and I think slightly better color reproduction but is that enough or am I missing something else here? Which one would you recommend and why?

Dell = Color accuracy

Acer = Not. 

Thats about what I can find. That Dell is provbably the choice for someone doing some photo editing on the side, not just gaming. 

At 25" I would just stay at 1080p to be honest. 

I personally want to get a 1440p monitor. But the price of a 27" 1440p that has some accuracy is just...too much. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Dell = Color accuracy

Acer = Not. 

Thats about what I can find. That Dell is provbably the choice for someone doing some photo editing on the side, not just gaming. 

At 25" I would just stay at 1080p to be honest. 

I personally want to get a 1440p monitor. But the price of a 27" 1440p that has some accuracy is just...too much. 

Huh...so color is the only real difference between both of them then? I'm not going to be doing any kind of photo editing or anything like that, just needed something that would actually display some good colors and nice viewing angles when I game, watch movies and whatnot.

ive the dell and its fcking great. Pixel density good, colors good, gaming good

Yeah the colors look really good on the Dell but that huge price gap between the two is why I'm wondering if it's really worth the $150 just for that. Decisions...decisions...

In addition to the thinner bezel, the U2515H is color-calibrated from the factory, and also has a higher quality fully-adjustable stand supporting tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment as well as a 100x100mm VESA mount, while the Acer only supports tilt and appears to not support VESA mounts at all.

The Dell also has multiple DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, while the Acer only has one of each, and the Dell supports DisplayPort daisy-chaining while the Acer doesn't.

The Dell also has a 5-port USB 3.0 hub while the Acer doesn't.

In terms of picture quality they're about equal as they use the same display panel, but the Dell is superior in oretty much all other aspects.

Dell stands are awesome. I have the U2414H and the colour kicks arse.

In addition to the thinner bezel, the U2515H is color-calibrated from the factory, and also has a higher quality fully-adjustable stand supporting tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment as well as a 100x100mm VESA mount, while the Acer only supports tilt and appears to not support VESA mounts at all.

The Dell also has multiple DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, while the Acer only has one of each, and the Dell supports DisplayPort daisy-chaining while the Acer doesn't.

The Dell also has a 5-port USB 3.0 hub while the Acer doesn't.

In terms of picture quality they're about equal as they use the same display panel, but the Dell is superior in oretty much all other aspects.

Wow...that's a lot of stuff the Dell has I didn't know about. I don't know if that's enough to warrant the $150 difference but I'm still kind of leaning towards the Dell for now so I might end up getting that after all. Thanks for all that info :)

Yeah, the stands from the Dell seem to be way better than the Acer's so that's a plus for the Dell I guess. The colors look really nice too.

Wow...that's a lot of stuff the Dell has I didn't know about. I don't know if that's enough to warrant the $150 difference but I'm still kind of leaning towards the Dell for now so I might end up getting that after all. Thanks for all that info :)

Got questions? I have that very u2515h in front of me right now. Apart for what has been said, here are some comments on it.

The GOOD:

-It comes with a Dp -MiniDp cable. Good. Else, I'd have to pay some big coins to get my hands on one..

-The packaging was very good. Everything came with a protecitve... plastic/paper/cloth. I have no idea what kind of material that is. Everything comes surrounded by cardboard, with very clever locks.

-The first time I powered this thing, I felt like a vampire in the sun: "IT'S TO BRIGHT THAT IT BURNS!!" was my first reaction. It was set to 50% at default. It's at 33% right now, and I still feel a bit of pain in those fully white pages. Thankfully, LTT has a night theme. If you are looking to use it right by your window, with the sun on it, don't worry; you WILL have enough brightness.

-Before using it, I was using a 720p 26" TV. And a for a week, right before the monitor arrived, I was using a 1600x900 poop panel (the "white" looked like yellow...). So take this next sentence with a grain of salt. But I found the color to be AMAZING. Cristal sharp lines, beautiful images, and I can't tell the pixels apart.

The BAD:

- The back cover is crap. Really, just by trying to put the cover made me unplug the power chord. Twice. I guess this isn't so bad, considering that you never see the back anyway. But still...

-Turning the thing on is a bit tricky, as you don't exactly know where the button is. You get to it after a while, but it's still very easy to press your thumb against "the spot" and realize that it's actually not there.

-I don't know if this is related to the drivers, the DP connection, my GPU or the monitor, but sometimes the resolution isn't recognized. Sometimes, the "max" shows up as 800x600, sometimes 2042xrandom, 1192xrandom, and anything else that ISN'T 2560x1440; sometimes, it refuses to even display an image (the monitor turns on, but the lack of signal makes it go into power saving mode). Again, I don't know if this is specific, but neither my HDMI TV nor my DVI poop monitor showed  this problem.

-The refletions... man! I can see my shadow on it right now (although this only shows up in dark areas).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

-snip-

Wow that was very detailed, it definitely looks like it has more pros than cons. Thanks a lot for the info, it looks like I'll end up getting the Dell after all!

I hope you have some good reading classes for any 25 inch 1440p monitor. Text is small enough on a 27 inch.

I love my 2414s. I just wish they had a U2717H... 1440p @ 27" or 28" would be perfect. These panels and stands are just brilliant. Especially with how Dell's "8ms" is almost the same as my ASUS' "2ms." >>

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I love my 2414s. I just wish they had a U2717H... 1440p @ 27" or 28" would be perfect. These panels and stands are just brilliant. Especially with how Dell's "8ms" is almost the same as my ASUS' "2ms." >>

It already exists :P U2715H