ASUS unveils VivoWatch with 10-day battery life

ASUS-VivoWatch.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/13/asus-vivowatch-smartwatch/

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/13/asus-vivowatch-milan-design-week/?ncid=rss_truncated

Asus is releasing a new fitness watch that will put the Apple Watch's battery life to shame.  The VivoWatch, according to Technobuffalo and Engadget, will track sleep patterns, workouts (so I assume heart rate), and will be water and dust resistant.  It is unknown as to whether the device will support notifications and all of the other smartphone amenities one can expect from competitive devices, but Asus is claiming a 10-day battery life!

Are you excited for this product, and will you be getting one?  Comment below!

My PC specifications are in my profile.

It looks pretty basic compared to other smart watches

Would rather get a pebble time than this, or an Apple watch if I decided to go that way

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Fitnesswatch != smartwatch

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Oh this looks good. But the screen takes up too little of the face for my taste. I do hope it supports the normal tethering that other smart watches will support, I would assume it does because of the look. If it were meant solely for exercise I would assume a more rugged design.

10 days though, that is wonderful.

Always trying to find reason.

10 days of screen time? That isn't specified anywhere... I hope so though. It will also be interesting to see what its full functionality looks like and if it actually does as well as current smartwatches like the pebble steel.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 days of screen time? That isn't specified anywhere... I hope so though. It will also be interesting to see what its full functionality looks like and if it actually does as well as current smartwatches like the pebble steel.

Its not really a smartwatch its a fitness tracker with a watch face and some notifications

Impressive battery life. But smartwatches are overrated in general. We already take a smartphone everywhere we go.

I disagree, I really like them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have a Fitbit Surge, excellent fitness watch with 7 days of real time battery life with GPS tracking, sleep tracking and all the fun stuff including constant heart rate sensing. 

Its a fucking shitty smartwatch. Requires a SEPARATE bluetooth connection (not over LE) to have music controls. Notifications are basic (text and call only, no other app), and in general is a poorly designed watch with actually terrible feel for long term wear. 

Its not a smartwatch really, but if its lot cheaper then its pretty good buy for people who don't need the full functionality of a smartwatch.

I like what I see :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I have a Fitbit Surge, excellent fitness watch with 7 days of real time battery life with GPS tracking, sleep tracking and all the fun stuff including constant heart rate sensing. 

Its a fucking shitty smartwatch. Requires a SEPARATE bluetooth connection (not over LE) to have music controls. Notifications are basic (text and call only, no other app), and in general is a poorly designed watch with actually terrible feel for long term wear. 

Exactly, fitnesswatch. With all those features you just mentioned. I'm not sure I see a market at all for those. Loads of them come out, but I am yet to see anyone wear one (although I'm also the only one I know/have seen with a smartwatch). I think it is annoying that they are often grouped in with the smartwatches, since as you mentioned they often have very limited functions and also horrible build quality. 

That said, this one looks kinda cool, although that might just because they are renders. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

If they can get the price around 100 usd I would be really temped. The only thing I seek in a smartwatch would be music control and display all my notifications and time ofcourse. I could get a pebble but its to plastic for my taste.

At least it looks pretty clean.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

snip

Pretty much shows that you're a fanboy when you only pick at apple

Also pretty sure this watch won't have half the functionality of an Apple Watch as the technology isn't there yet

Please dont try to act cool

Pretty much shows that you're a fanboy when you only pick at apple

Also pretty sure this watch won't have half the functionality of an Apple Watch as the technology isn't there yet

Please dont try to act cool

Not sure where you are getting that I hate Apple.  The Apple Watch is expensive and it doesn't have near the battery life that this has.  The full functionality of this watch has not been revealed yet.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Not sure where you are getting that I hate Apple.  The Apple Watch is expensive and it doesn't have near the battery life that this has.  The full functionality of this watch has not been revealed yet.

I said that because you stated that it puts Apple Watch's battery (only Apple Watch among the sea of similar watched from competition) to shame when almost all modern actual smartwatch suffer from the same problem

Second, I've had this tech interest for a past few years and I know very well that no one can just crush the competition with a really huge technological advancement (which in this case the battery, the most unlikely of all) when others are struggling to stretch it for a day. If we're are going to get 10 day smartwatch then its not a smartwatch and will probably cut all corners so much that there's nothing left after that

A moment of silence for those does not know programing language.

!= means does not equal to.

A moment of silence for those does not know programing language.

!= means does not equal to.

Then what would you have me use? !== which means "is not identical to" ?

Cuz I think that what i had would mean

Fitnesswatch "does not equal to" smartwatch 

Which is the meaning I was trying to get. 

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Then what would you have me use? !== which means "is not identical to" ?

Cuz I think that what i had would mean

Fitnesswatch "does not equal to" smartwatch 

Which is the meaning I was trying to get. 

You were right, I was explaining it to those who don't know.

You were right, I was explaining it to those who don't know.

Ow okay, sorry then

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

I assume they use eInk for the display like Pebble does, but they'd have to undercut it on price or have more going for it than just half-decent looks and build quality to make a dent. But they can try all they want until they run out of money if they feel like it.

i know nothing about smartwatches..

i've only heard about pebble, but not sure about the merits..i say a complete no to apple because i don't belong to the target market because of the price..

i'll take you guys' word on this vivowatch..but I do hope it gets better on the second (not just a fitnesswatch) or next iteration and retain the long battery life..

i just can't stand anymore devices that must be recharged daily..i need functionality over bragging rights

Wow, I actually kinda want this and I am not a fan of smartwatches and smartwatch-like devices at all.