The Dell not from Hell

iHardware Shelden

So about two days ago I picked up this Dell Vestro 400 after a family member upgraded to a newer model. Everything works perfectly and the computer still had plastic covering the side panels so it felt like a new system. All I did was swap cases for better cooling and put my Q6600 + 650 ti boost with it. Runs great and my FX 6300 + board will be going in a new case when it arrives.

ElbJ6aP.jpg

dBuIhNp.jpg

nec76Sa.jpg

rjEXGfk.jpg

Specs: Will post when finished.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

prebuild cases make me frown regularly.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Honestly I have never found dell to be that bad, probably one of the best pre-built system vendors

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So you kept the motherboard and ram and ditched the rest? Doesn't speak much in favour of the original system ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have a Dell from hell too. :D But it's motherboard is dying. The amps for the audio jacks are dead, and it's currently on integrated graphics, and of course the hdmi port has no audio now, and it's integrated graphics on it's Athlon x4 630 don't like the drivers it's on. :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Honestly I have never found dell to be that bad, probably one of the best pre-built system vendors

how about prices?

how about prices?

Depends on the system

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

prebuild cases make me frown regularly.

That's a shame. A lot of prebuild cases are fantastically purpose built, the insides can be really impressive.

That's a shame. A lot of prebuild cases are fantastically purpose built, the insides can be really impressive.

the only pro i have ever seen in a prebuilt case is better directed air flow by the use of cheap flimsy plastic pieces.

ugly, and hard to work with effectively. drive bays are stupid, some times only 1 side comes off the case, the faces are terrible. it's just bad.

not built with a builder in mind, so why build with one?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

So you kept the motherboard and ram and ditched the rest? Doesn't speak much in favour of the original system ^^

Originaly had 4gb of ram. I replaced it with 4x2 8gb of ram. Power supply is a LitOn so good enough quality to be used with the FX 6300 system and 8600 GTS that came with this system.

Original system specs:

350 Watt LiteOn Psu

Core 2 Duo (2.66ghz)

4gb of ddr2

GeForce 8600 GTS

350GB WD blue drive

I will get more specs of both systems when I get home such as model numbers ;)

I agree, compared to the HP and other pre-builts I have worked with Dell blows them away in the quality department, especially on the BTX systems that IMO are built like tanks.

Does dell use non standard placement for its motherboard standoffs?

Nope, standard standoffs (MATX)

I have a Dell from hell too. :D But it's motherboard is dying. The amps for the audio jacks are dead, and it's currently on integrated graphics, and of course the hdmi port has no audio now, and it's integrated graphics on it's Athlon x4 630 don't like the drivers it's on. :(

What model?

What model?

Old Dell Inspiron 570. It was my brothers, it had been upgraded with a 650ti, now it sits in my old shitty Rosewill Redbone... Right now it has no GPU and I'm thinking about just buying a Pentium G3258, little HDPlex PSU, and doing a build in my old phat PS3...

wWdVdX0.jpg

gMXXgIY.jpg

Y1UwFO0.jpg

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Old Dell Inspiron 570. It was my brothers, it had been upgraded with a 650ti, now it sits in my old shitty Rosewill Redbone... Right now it has no GPU and I'm thinking about just buying a Pentium G3258, little HDPlex PSU, and doing a build in my old phat PS3...

wWdVdX0.jpg

gMXXgIY.jpg

Y1UwFO0.jpg

That would look amazing! Ya all the problems your having can be fixed with expansion cards really but something like that would be perfect

That would look amazing! Ya all the problems your having can be fixed with expansion cards really but something like that would be perfect

Seeing the PS3 still works, I'd kind of feel bad for doing it, but I do have my old motherboard literally sitting ontop of my S340, I have to move it to turn on my computer every time. :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

Seeing the PS3 still works, I'd kind of feel bad for doing it, but I do have my old motherboard literally sitting ontop of my S340, I have to move it to turn on my computer every time. :P

Ah do it, to many PS3s out there anyways, would be quite a bit more unique to ;)

Ah do it, to many PS3s out there anyways, would be quite a bit more unique to ;)

But it's one of the PS3s that I can flash an older firmware onto and install Linux on it. :(

Spoiler

Spoiler

But it's one of the PS3s that I can flash an older firmware onto and install Linux on it. :(

Those fetch a good amount of $ on eBay, if you wanted to you could sell the parts from it or keep them and make a case for it later.

So here are CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor readings, so far I have been using the system all weekend and have been very happy with the performance. The Q6600 is still quite a champ ;)

CPU-Z Validator: http://valid.x86.fr/wweeac(The clock speed shows what the system was running at when I validated it. It is running at stock 2.4Ghz.)

P5WbwDh.png