ASTROGaming 2015 A40 Review

Slayher

Got a question that's not answered in this review? Post the comment and I'll answer it for you.

Can't see this YouTube video? That's fine, it won't be available until tomorrow at 7:30PM.

It's a unboxing video of this headset that I made, stay tuned at 7:30PM March 16th, 2015 which is Monday.

What is the ASTROGaming A40?

It's a competitive gaming headset for mainstream gamer's. The headset can be used with a computer or console, and can be used at the same time! The company ASTRO has been in business for a few years so the company are veterans at their craft. You'll see a lot of professional streamers on Twitch.tv and MLG.tv use the headset because it's what works the best for them.

Why did I get this headset?

I've always used ASTROGaming products such as their scout backpack as well as their headsets. I had the 2014 ASTROGaming A40s and the headset was aging so I decided to upgrade to the new 2015 edition with the new mixamp. I play competitive console games such as Call of Duty and it helps me during situations such as 1V2 and 1V1s in Search & Destroy. I've been using prior products for over a year now so I know how reliable the headset is. I use the headset for both my console as well as my computer.

Written Review:

I honestly love the headset. I've used other headsets such as SteelSeries, Razer and nothing has personally competed with this headset for me. The build quality for the headset is nice and sturdy and the amplifier that it comes with is great. You can choose between game volume and voice volume, if you have it connected to the computer through the USB connection you can put the Game/Voice volume in the middle and hear console sound and computer sound (music) if you have them plugged in at the same time which is great. The headset doesn't take a lot of space, it's easy and simple since you can turn the headset to the side and store it in a draw whenever you aren't using it. Me, personally I just keep it on my computer desk plugged in where the amplifier is. I take this headset wherever I go, if it's to an LAN event or if it's too a friends house or maybe just a long car ride. Is the headset worth the price? I honestly would rather a comfortable headset that doesn't even feel like it's on my head and I wouldn't care for price. If you take the headset, amplifier and all of the accessories that it comes with for the price of $249.99 it honestly isn't that bad. I hope you pals purchase this headset and hopefully you can write a review of your own? Or, if you do own a ASTROGaming headset maybe you can comment below and tell the people how you enjoy/like it yourself! I personally use this headset for whenever I stream which I do almost daily over at MLG.tv, I needed a comfortable headset and I needed a headset that I can hear footsteps and be clutch in certain situations of the game I play which is "Call of Duty" and "Counter Strike: Global Offensive" and this headset has honestly helped me a lot doing that. What's great about the headset is that, not only does it help me play but it's also customizable It has side tags that you can remove, and you can make custom ones with your logo or picture and order them online!

Purchase Links:

Newegg: http://bit.ly/1Eh5uaH

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1MDfxev

ASTROGaming: http://bit.ly/1yNhwqQ

ASTROGaming Social Media:

Their Twitter: https://twitter.com/ASTROGaming

Their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/astrogaming

Their Website: http://www.astrogaming.com/
Their Instagram: https://instagram.com/AstroGaming/

What come's in the box?

- 1x Headset

- 1x Mixamp

- 1x 3.5MM wire to plug from the headset into the amplifier

- 1x 3.5MM wire to plug from your phone into your amplifier

- 1x optical wire to plug from your console into your amplifier to hear game audio

- 1x Microphone/Audio Y Splitter

Pictures of the ASTROGaming 2015 A40s (Beware of the large images)

d1Tfg6E.jpg

WU0T9Dx.jpg

j17mpOA.jpg

T4WsNKV.jpg

3ClGY8G.jpg

lvkUNcK.jpg

FIBlAUn.jpg

VWSTCgT.jpg

ykDaNBL.jpg

OCiDax4.jpg

Previous Reviews:

ASUS ROG Nomad Backpack

GAEMS Black Edition - Vanguard

Pros:

• Loud Speakers
  • 7.1 Surround Sound
  • Amplifier has customizable channels
  • Headset had customizable side covers

Cons:

• Weak Optical Cable? I've had the Optical Cable break into my last amplifier that I had from ASTROGaming

If the Video isn't aviable until Monday why are you posting it already ?

With the video beeing aviable now its a nice review

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

If the Video isn't aviable until Monday why are you posting it already ?

The video is the unboxing and the thread is just a mini-review and pictures of the headset and the reason I purchased the headset.

The video is the unboxing and the thread is just a mini-review and pictures of the headset and the reason I purchased the headset.

This isn't even a review at all. You didn't go over anything about the headset. Instead, you used edgy phrases like Designed for professionals but fit for any gamer.

I wanted to know your POV on the product, but you didn't actually say anything about it. :/

This isn't even a review at all. You didn't go over anything about the headset. Instead, you used edgy phrases like Designed for professionals but fit for any gamer.

I wanted to know your POV on the product, but you didn't actually say anything about it. :/

Sorry for not including it, when I pressed "Submit Modified Post" it took a long time and I was still editing the thread.

It's still being updated, sorry.

The video and full review is now up! It went up about an hour ago, please go watch the video as well as the full written review!

I own the A40's aswell and these are the most comfortable headset I have ever owened. I also use these for CSGO and it really helps I'm only a MG2 but I think I can hear them coming from a while away better then my friends with Steelseries V2s or Razer Krakens.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

theyre so pretty :3

ive always wanted a pair, but then i think of all the other things i can do with $250, so then i thought of the A30's because i figured on ear would be less sweaty and it wouldnt mess with my hair, and they cost a lot less as well, so i might get those

nice review ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I own the A40's aswell and these are the most comfortable headset I have ever owened. I also use these for CSGO and it really helps I'm only a MG2 but I think I can hear them coming from a while away better then my friends with Steelseries V2s or Razer Krakens.

Yeah man, if you game for a long amount of hours I would recommend this headset as you can lay it on the side and put it on you neck without it being on your head.

I love em, glad people agree with me! :D

theyre so pretty :3

ive always wanted a pair, but then i think of all the other things i can do with $250, so then i thought of the A30's because i figured on ear would be less sweaty and it wouldnt mess with my hair, and they cost a lot less as well, so i might get those

nice review ^_^

Yeah man, I love the way the new looks are :3

A30s are great as well, I actually might see if I can get my hands on them to review for LTT.

Appreciate it.

Yeah man, if you game for a long amount of hours I would recommend this headset as you can lay it on the side and put it on you neck without it being on your head.

I love em, glad people agree with me! :D

Cant you "lay it on the side and put it on your neck without it being on your head" do that with any headphones. Or am i missing something.

Cant you "lay it on the side and put it on your neck without it being on your head" do that with any headphones. Or am i missing something.

The actual ear cups of the headphones turn and can rest on your shoulders, unlike the headphones which you just put around your neck.

Is the Astro A40s a good option instead of the Steelseries Siberia Elite prisms?

Is the Astro A40s a good option instead of the Steelseries Siberia Elite prisms?

This thread wasn't sponsored at all, but I'm going to be completely honest I don't feel like answering a question I don't know.

So, I have no idea. The only other headset I've ever used besides these were Turtle Beaches, sorry.

This thread wasn't sponsored at all, but I'm going to be completely honest I don't feel like answering a question I don't know.

So, I have no idea. The only other headset I've ever used besides these were Turtle Beaches, sorry.

It's alright, just wanted to know. I'm gonna have a hard time deciding which one to get.

The actual ear cups of the headphones turn and can rest on your shoulders, unlike the headphones which you just put around your neck.

Not all headphones, some do have cups that rotate so you can lay them flat on the table. Examples are Grado's and the HiFiMan HE400i....anyway, whether they can rotate or not is inconsequential. I've placed my headphones on their sides on my table many a times and as long as I'm careful, I don't scratch them. Regardless, nice mini-review....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Not all headphones, some do have cups that rotate so you can lay them flat on the table. Examples are Grado's and the HiFiMan HE400i....anyway, whether they can rotate or not is inconsequential. I've placed my headphones on their sides on my table many a times and as long as I'm careful, I don't scratch them. Regardless, nice mini-review....

Gotcha, I'm not that much of an audiophile so I haven't used many headsets out there but thanks for telling me! Appreciate the kind words GamerDude!

Gotcha, I'm not that much of an audiophile so I haven't used many headsets out there but thanks for telling me! Appreciate the kind words GamerDude!

Not an audiophile myself (and have never claimed to be one), but I know of these two because I have both the HiFiMan HE400i and Grado GS1000I....

20150321_233754_zpsam4qgfgg.jpg

And as I'd stated, even cans that do not have rotating cups are fine as long as one treats them with care....here's my HD700 on the same table, I'm very careful with my cans.

20150315_142935_zpsjzi3ulwm.jpg

Seeing your review, I'm inspired to write one myself...perhaps on either the Grado GS1000I or the AKG K812.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

• 2 weeks later...