Looking to buy a Full Size Mechanical Keyboard

Hello everyone, 

This is my first time posting on the forum, I apologize for any errors. 

I'm looking to buy a full size mechanical keyboard, with Cherry MX Brown switches. Backlighting and other bells and whistles don't matter much to me. I used to have a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard but unfortunately I don't have it anymore. Looking for browns as I need something that makes lesser noise but still provides some sort of feedback. My budget is around $100. 

I've looked into many options but most of them are too expensive (Das Keyboard) or just Unavailable (CM Quickfire XT, Ducky Zero, etc). What I'm left with is the Poseidon Z with the Kailh switches, and some Rosewill boards. 

I'd prefer to get the Quickfire XT or a similar no frills MX Brown board, are they available anywhere? They seem to be out of stock everywhere I've seen. 

Could anyone tell me when they will be back in stock, or some other options that I can buy at this time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

@knkritpillw

Welcome to the forum!  Please remember to follow your topics and in order for someone to see that you have replied, you need to quote or "@" that person.

As far as keyboards go, have you had a chance to try a Brown switch?  Did you like it?  I recently bought my first two mechanical keyboards(should have been 1, more on that later).  I had tried a Blue, and knew I liked a blue, but I had the same reservations about how loud it would be, so I opted for a Brown.  I got the brown, and ended up not liking the Brown.  I have to sell the Brown, and I recently bought what I should have just bought in the first place, which is a Blue.

This is the Brown keyboard that I bought.  It is a Tesoro Lobera Supreme with Kailh Brown switches, and Costar Stabilizers.  Its a great keyboard, I just didn't like the feel of the Browns.  You can read my review of it here. It has a lot more features than you are interested in, but the price is very fair, and the quality is very good.  If all other places are out of stock, do some research on the Lobera.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman 

I have not tried brown switches, but I don't have much of a choice since I need something quieter than blue switches. As much as I like the Blue switches, I don't think my roommates or people at work will share my enthusiasm for the clicky-ness. Brown switch variants of boards seem to be slightly more expensive than blue counterparts or just out of stock. 

The Lobera Supreme seems to fit the bill for the most part except for the fact that it looks the way it does, although I will definitely consider it now, as it has the audio and USB pass-throughs not to mention back lighting. I'd prefer to have a standard looking keyboard, though. I looked at

1. TT Esports Poseidon Z

2. CM Storm Quickfire TK

3. CM Storm Quickfire XT

4. Rosewill RK 9000/9100

5. Ducky Zero / 9008 G2 

out of which only the first one seems to be actually available at this time. 

I'm wary of the differences in feel between Kailh and Cherry switches, but I don't know how much of a difference it will make. 

I used to have a TVS Gold Keyboard, a $25-30 keyboard found in India.

@Faceman 

I have not tried brown switches, but I don't have much of a choice since I need something quieter than blue switches. As much as I like the Blue switches, I don't think my roommates or people at work will share my enthusiasm for the clicky-ness. Brown switch variants of boards seem to be slightly more expensive than blue counterparts or just out of stock. 

The Lobera Supreme seems to fit the bill for the most part except for the fact that it looks the way it does, although I will definitely consider it now, as it has the audio and USB pass-throughs not to mention back lighting. I'd prefer to have a standard looking keyboard, though. I looked at

1. TT Esports Poseidon Z

2. CM Storm Quickfire TK

3. CM Storm Quickfire XT

4. Rosewill RK 9000/9100

5. Ducky Zero / 9008 G2 

I'm wary of the differences in feel between Kailh and Cherry switches, but I don't know how much of a difference it will make. 

@Faceman 

1. TT Esports Poseidon Z

2. CM Storm Quickfire TK

3. CM Storm Quickfire XT

4. Rosewill RK 9000/9100

5. Ducky Zero / 9008 G2 

That was what I thought too, and I was so disappointed with the Browns.  They don't have the same satisfying feeling as the Blues.  I implore you to try before you buy if at all possible.

The Ducky Shine Legend is what I am using right now.  I like it a lot because it has my blues, but the stabilizers are really bad.  Another positive about the Tesoro Lobera, is that it uses Costar stabilizers, which are vastly superior to the Cherry stabilizers.  The Tesoro does look the way it looks though, which isnt all that appealing, especially in an office setting.  The features for that price though are hard to beat.

The Poseidon Z uses Kailh, and comes with a 5 year warranty, as well as being the least expensive, and has a good aesthetic for office use.  It should be a strong contender. 

The CoolerMaster keyboards are also widely respected and recommended, can't go wrong with those.

I don't know too much about Rosewill, but it does have the aesthetic you want, and can usually be found in stock.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman 

Yes, the Poseidon Z is on top of the list, although getting a board with cherry MX switches would be great, but they're all out of stock, except the Rosewill boards which seem to be on sale atm.

@Faceman 

Yes, the Poseidon Z is on top of the list, although getting a board with cherry MX switches would be great, but they're all out of stock, except the Rosewill boards which seem to be on sale atm.

Dude, I just checked the NCIX Weekend Deals.  You have to get the Tesoro Lobera with Blue Switches.  It is only $85 with free shipping.

Check it out.

Tesoro Lobera Supreme with Blue Switches - $85

Use Coupon Code: RSMIBFSAIALS

@Faceman 

cool! does the lower part of the board act like a wrist rest? How easy do you think it would be to replace the keycaps?

@Faceman 

cool! does the lower part of the board act like a wrist rest? How easy do you think it would be to replace the keycaps?

I would imagine that the keycaps can be easily replaced.

Yea, the lower part acts as a wrist rest. I really like the Lobera because it gives you three angles to choose from, so you can get it angled just right for you.

@Faceman

Looks great, will definitely look into it! Thanks for the help! 

Happy to help!

http://amzn.com/B00EQV0W02CM Storm QuickFire XT w/ Cherry MX Brown switches. It's a pre-order, since they have more on the way, but when I ordered, the turn around was about 3 weeks.

For a dead cheap, simple full sized keyboard with cherry mx brown switches, I don't think there is a better keyboard.

I'd prefer to get the Quickfire XT or a similar no frills MX Brown board, are they available anywhere? They seem to be out of stock everywhere I've seen. 

Could anyone tell me when they will be back in stock, or some other options that I can buy at this time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Have a look at Filcos, they might be under $100 in US (bit of a long shot).

Func do a cheap full size keyboard, it has a red backlight but I'm sure there's the option to turn it off.

http://amzn.com/B00EQV0W02CM Storm QuickFire XT w/ Cherry MX Brown switches. It's a pre-order, since they have more on the way, but when I ordered, the turn around was about 3 weeks.

For a dead cheap, simple full sized keyboard with cherry mx brown switches, I don't think there is a better keyboard.

Yes, I agree with that, simple and a good platform for customization in terms of keycaps etc. Which I might intend to do in the future...

@Faceman @sacratoy @Robi_g 

I just looked into the Student Discount provided by Das Keyboard, a 20% discount with free shipping on all models. Would that be good value for what it's worth? I have no experience with Das Keyboards... 

-snip-

They're fine keyboards. In fact, with your discount and free shipping, I'd say they're worth looking at. Usually I don't recommend them because of the price vs. features included. Das keyboards are classic, and a lot of people stand behind them.

I just looked into the Student Discount provided by Das Keyboard, a 20% discount with free shipping on all models. Would that be good value for what it's worth? I have no experience with Das Keyboards... 

Das keyboard are worth it at normal price, they're good boards. If you can afford it and most inportantly YOU like it, then get it.

I don't know if they sell s MX brown keyboard but I recently bought a Cherry G80-3000 new for only £60. They are the cheapest MX blue keyboards I could find and it is a really great keyboard, my only fault is the plastic base is a little flimsy, only noticable if you twist it.

@Faceman @sacratoy @Robi_g

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I got a Rosewill RK 9000 with Cherry MX brown switches, for $75

Thanks for your assistance!

Awesome!  Do a review of it once you get it maybe?

@Faceman Alright, I could do that. Just let me know what are the different aspects I should cover. I will also look into getting replacement keycaps, possibly PBT.

corsair k70 only keyboard to be connsidered!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb