Favourite optical illusions? [Dress Colour Explained?]

werto165

So I'm reading this atm(I know a little late but I thought I'd catch up) and I came across some really great optical illusions. 

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/abrashblog/Abrash%20Dev%20Days%202014.pdf

6f559a40fe.jpg

Take a look at the center piece of each ‘X’. One’s gray, and the other’s dark yellow, right? Now let’s mask out the background, without changing the colors of the center pieces, and see what happens.

9788891789.jpg

It turns out that due to the need for consistent vision across a wide range of illumination conditions, there’s a huge contextual element involved in low-level color processing. Consciously, you’re not even aware of this, just as you’re not aware of the processing that alters the perceived size of the circles in the previous example, but collectively, signals like these from low-level processing form your sense of the world. If virtual reality provides inputs that stimulate the low-level processors properly, you’ll feel like you’re actually someplace; if it doesn’t, you’ll feel disconnected from the scene in some indefinable way.

Just thought I'd share this as I found it quite interesting. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I don't think it's technically an optical illusion, but I found the McCollough effect pretty cool

Warning: This effect may last for quite some time after viewing the video (It was 2-3 weeks for me)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I don't think it's technically an optical illusion, but I found the McCollough effect pretty cool

Warning: This effect may last for quite some time after viewing the video (It was 2-3 weeks for me)

Can you say what it does? :)

I dont want a effect for weeks lol.

For me, I watched the video twice because I was a mad bastard, but basically around the black and white lines there will be a green/red tint

The video should explain everything before anything happens if I haven't made any sense

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

This can appear to spin both ways, but I can't get it to switch while I'm looking at it...

i-f77d66cda9b4284d9fa10055558f5471-spinn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOE2Dd9eM8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBNHPk-Lnkk

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

@GuruMeditationError

My favourite one is the anomorphic one. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

@GuruMeditationError

My favourite one is the anomorphic one. 

I know, it's crazy. I almost didn't post it because I thought it was a real rubix cube.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Maybe one is grey and one is yellow!

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

???  :huh:

Maybe what's grey and/or yellow?

I watched it, and the effect seems to have not taken effect at all. The video doesn't really say what is supposed to happen, and I haven't noticed anything different since watching it a few hours ago.

EDIT: I also didn't watch the video maximised because I was running some benchmarks, wanted to see my temps ou of the corner of my eye. Not sure if that impacted the result of the video any.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I LOVE to watch the "drug effect" videos on the YouTubes. Sadly, I can't get links right now, I'm in class at college, and the teacher is positioned somewhat behind me at the moment.. :P

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

blog_gray_illusion.jpg

Actually went over this in philosophy class today.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

blog_gray_illusion.jpg

Again we meet. And I see you are still twirling a pencil, and not a pen. Good day sir.

It's not....

b9154794c4.jpg

5fab7a0b2d.jpg

I think the original illusion is perhaps where the dress debate came from: 

_81284990_9e0a7ef7-488d-4b2b-b613-e42b88

Just a classic case of an optical illusion that's just gone viral. To relate it to the post, it is people creating their own context for which the dress is in, thus their low level colour perception is different. 

Just a classic case of an optical illusion that's just gone viral. To relate it to the post, it is people creating their own context for which the dress is in, thus their low level colour perception is different. 

That is a blue and black version right? please i need to know now!!!!!! it's been gold and white and now this one is blue and black wtf!! please tell me this isn't white and gold for others.

That is a blue and black version right?

Yeah, it's just that its subconscious. 

I just found this video that confirms my idea(his thoughts are substantially better however): 

Yeah, it's just that its subconscious. 

I just found this video that confirms my idea(his thoughts are substantially better however): 

No!!! omg wtf! i just scrolled up after watching this and now it's white and gold again!!!! i thought people were lying when they saw black and blue but seriously wtf!! how do we control what the guy said?

No!!! omg wtf! i just scrolled up after watching this and now it's white and gold again!!!! i thought people were lying when they saw black and blue but seriously wtf!! how do we control what the guy said?

You don't it's subconscious as I've said already, maybe trying to picture it in different environments perhaps? I've yet to see it as white and gold, I've always seen it as black and blue. Your brain is a wonderful thing. Everyones perception of the real world is different that's what makes everyone so unique. 

@JAKEBAB a physicist I follow on twitter posted this: https://twitter.com/Moriarty2112/status/571315733877157888

@JAKEBAB a physicist I follow on twitter posted this: https://twitter.com/Moriarty2112/status/571315733877157888

If I had to choose between those two options I'd go for white and gold (basically because of the U.V. in natural light and because there seems to be black cloth in the background of the photo for reference).

Having said that however, I think it's a false dichotomy; I don't think it's either of those two choices.

Edit: 

Royal blue with black lace...

http://i.imgur.com/mFqCtOw.png

I see blue + black initially but can also see how it's gold + white.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

-snip-

I've seen a video that just proves this to be overexposure and poor color balance, stating that the dress really is black and blue. I've seen it as both, and here is a copy+paste from my reply to a friend on facebook:

"I've noticed a trend. When the picture appears without my knowledge, the dress is white and gold. When I know it is coming, I see it as black and blue. Myself and several friends are all experiencing the same result. Someone said it actually has to do with your mood, but my mood doesn't change drastically enough in 60 seconds for me to perceive light differently."