WHEA uncorrectable error BF4 on i7-4790k

bydus

I started getting blue screen in win 8.1 saying WHEA uncorrectable error, now I did google search and it seems to be related to cpu overclock but i'm running stock speeds, updated bios and problem seemed to be gone but yesterday it happened in one of my multiplayer matches. All other games work fine, my question is could GPU overclock could be causing that ? I lovered the GPU O/C a little and will be testing it for few days, but maybe there is a solution to this problem somewhere. Any help would be great. I'm running i7-4790k on evo 212 and getting around 50-60c in game along with msi 970 temps around 60-62c. 

I got that too on my system once. I run everything at stock speeds.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Try to google error codes or check dumpfiles. That is usually mark of unstable system but those error codes will tell which part is causing the instability.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am having the same exact problem!

I also have a i7-4790k that is not overclocked and I get this "whea uncorrectable error" only when playing BF4.

It is starting to get extremely frustrating, and have no idea what the issue is. 

I get this occasionally at random, even though it was able to handle 8+ hours of stress testing on both the CPU and GPU. I believe its more of a software problem than hardware.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I am having the same exact problem!

I also have a i7-4790k that is not overclocked and I get this "whea uncorrectable error" only when playing BF4.

It is starting to get extremely frustrating, and have no idea what the issue is. 

Do you have GPU OC when playing? I lowered my GPU O/C  by a little and it seems to have worked but I didn't play much so I can't confirm for sure..

Nah that didn't fix it :/ crashed so bad my wifi got fcked up and had to unplug my pc from mains for few minutes otherwise wifi on asrock board stopped working. 

I did however try lowering clock speeds for all cores to 4.1ghz in intel xt utlility and it seems to have worked. 

You mentioned you have an asrock mobo. I think we have a lot of similar parts. It is probably a good idea to list all our parts, to see if its a common piece. I am starting to suspect its something with the Asrock mobo. Anyway, here it goes:

CPU: i7-4790K

Mobo: Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac

RAM : 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

SSD: 512 GB Crucial MX100

Video: MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

PSU: CoolerMaster V550s 550W 

I have reset all my bios settings to default, and the same crash still occurred while playing BF4 last night.

You mentioned you have an asrock mobo. I think we have a lot of similar parts. It is probably a good idea to list all our parts, to see if its a common piece. I am starting to suspect its something with the Asrock mobo. Anyway, here it goes:

I have reset all my bios settings to default, and the same crash still occurred while playing BF4 last night.

Yes but I have the Z97M-ITX/ac - mini itx for my node 304 case. I've set all my cores at 4.1 ghz in intel XTU and problem seems to be gone, I asked this question on cpu subforum and the guy suggested to set 1.25V and set 45X on the multiplier. Maybe there is something wrong with asrock default voltage on i7-4790k cpus ? I had i5-4690k and all was fine, never had any errors in bf4.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i've found a solution. A fellow LTT member suggested I set the voltage in bios manually, which seems to work. I set it to 1.25V with stock speeds. I think the default voltage may be to low that asrock sets by default. Hope this helps mate.

I read somewhere that BF4 doesnt like overclocked hardware.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I read somewhere that BF4 doesnt like overclocked hardware.

Thanks for the info, the point is my cpu wans't overclocked and it happened. When I ran at 4.5ghz automatic overclock from asrock motherboard it would be fine. Sad to say I got an error again today at 1.25v but then i've read someone using 1.225 and i just played for almost 3hrs without an error. I think its something wrong with default voltage my asrock m-itx board sets for i7 cpu, it was fine with i5. I just hope I've found the voltage right this time.. 

Thanks for the info, the point is my cpu wans't overclocked and it happened. When I ran at 4.5ghz automatic overclock from asrock motherboard it would be fine. Sad to say I got an error again today at 1.25v but then i've read someone using 1.225 and i just played for almost 3hrs without an error. I think its something wrong with default voltage my asrock m-itx board sets for i7 cpu, it was fine with i5. I just hope I've found the voltage right this time..

Edit: U said u run slight OC on GPU, have u tried to run stock?

Id say leave your GPU at stock speed for this game during testing.

U shouldnt see any performance hit since the game can run high-ultra on my 760 at 100fps 1080p, your 970 must be totaly okay at this resolution unless u have higher res or high refreshrate monitor.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Increase your Vcore on your CPU.

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

Increase your Vcore on your CPU.

Intel XTU tells me I have "Core Voltage Mode" set to Adaptive. Is that what it should be ?

Intel XTU tells me I have "Core Voltage Mode" set to Adaptive. Is that what it should be ?

You need to go into your BIOS and increase your 'offset voltage' or similar to increase the voltage during turbo for games. Try to increase it by 0.005 until the issue stops.

Test with Aida64, not prime95.

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |