Gaming headphones / Headset $300

Go to solution Solved by SSL,

They are around ear my bad, they were just un confy, was mistaken because they have a lot of pressure on your head, I thought for sure they were on ear.

Yeah I don't like in ear at all... I didn't notice.

Comfortable headphones are important to me. I have a busy work week so when I sit down to game on the weekend I can go for many hours.

Edit they don't look on ear...

Clamp force shouldn't be a deterring factor in headphones, they can be stretched very easily. My DT880s went from death vice to barely detectable.

Currently I'm using Siberia v2's frost edition. Honestly the main thing to complain about is they kinda make noise move my head but I really don't ever notice this while gaming. I play lots of different games shooters simulators everything really. I have always went with closed headphones but I'm willing to go open as well. If i get headphones i'm gonna have to get a modmic

I have some consols kicking around but I never use them so this is just for PC

I live in Canada  

I really can't spend more then $300 I wouldn't mind spending less then that though

Wireless doesn't matter to me, I use a trackir for many games so I have to run a wire anyways...

My friend told me to get astro A40's but I've heard they aren't very good headphones.

Honestly my head is starting to spin from all the info and research I've done tonight any help will be much appreciated

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

this: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATHAG1-Closed-Back-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00H95X98O

or this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8NS1K8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00H95X98O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19QG52PJQB7C42TF9Y6D

the second is better for gaming as it is open, but I prefer closed for the most part because I game in a semi noisy environment and also like bassy music

I haven't tried them specifically, but I have used Audio Technica's open AD700 and I still use them for gaming. quite lovely sounding for most music and the positional audio is great

IMO AD700x + Modmic presents much better value, ADG1 is really only for if you find the attached microphone essential.

damnit. ninja'd

Please, I'm the AT fanboy, I should be mad heh.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

IMO AD700x + Modmic presents much better value, ADG1 is really only for if you find the attached microphone essential.

oh definitely, but this solution is elegant.

I have the AD700(AD700x is the same without the foam in the cup and a much MUCH better paint job as far as I've been able to determine) admittedly fantastic and I'm trying to determine if modmic or V-Moda Boompro(already modded for removable cable) is a better option

I have the AD700's

I fucking love them!!!

Need a new pair. Thinking about getting the M50x's

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

oh definitely, but this solution is elegant.

I have the AD700(AD700x is the same without the foam in the cup and a much MUCH better paint job as far as I've been able to determine) admittedly fantastic and I'm trying to determine if modmic or V-Moda Boompro(already modded for removable cable) is a better option

My AD700's were pristine for the longest time, till my boyfriend threw a box of computer components on top of them by accident and dented the metal mesh :/

they sound great still but they look like poo D:

Hail Sithis!

I have the AD700's

I fucking love them!!!

Need a new pair. Thinking about getting the M50x's

Psh, gotta wait for the M70x :P

On another note the new R70x looks really interesting, I wonder what the signature is gonna be like.

Speakers - KEF LSX

Wow so many responses so quickly. Was gonna go to bed and check back in the morning haha.

I'm thinking ill go open this time around as my gaming space is in a nice quiet area now. I like the ad700 + mod mic solution 

I guess I really should go to bed, gotta be up for work in 5 hours. Thanks for your help I'll check back here tomorrow to see if anyone has some other suggestions and I'll maul things over through my workday. Thanks for your help guys, this is by far the fastest and more that anyone has replied to a question thread of mine :)

Psh, gotta wait for the M70x :P

On another note the new R70x looks really interesting, I wonder what the signature is gonna be like.

link me. I am unaware

Also I catch a lot of shit because AT>sennheiser, some people disagree. though they are wrong lol

Hail Sithis!

My AD700's were pristine for the longest time, till my boyfriend threw a box of computer components on top of them by accident and dented the metal mesh :/

they sound great still but they look like poo D:

i feel your pain. my AD700 has a dent in the mesh too. I'll probably be taking them apart again for some maintainance. probably will replace the RG6 coax loop in the earcup(expands it to make it truly over ear) with some tubing and removing the mesh to be flattened and spray painted black.

Wow so many responses so quickly. Was gonna go to bed and check back in the morning haha.

I'm thinking ill go open this time around as my gaming space is in a nice quiet area now. I like the ad700 + mod mic solution 

don't underestimate the forum. I still get updates multiple times per day on a post I started in november while waiting in line for a sandwich.

link me. I am unaware

Also I catch a lot of shit because AT>sennheiser, some people disagree. though they are wrong lol

http://blog.audio-technica.com/pro-audio-team-show-floor-namm-2015/  I know your feeling

i feel your pain. my AD700 has a dent in the mesh too. I'll probably be taking them apart again for some maintainance. probably will replace the RG6 coax loop in the earcup(expands it to make it truly over ear) with some tubing and removing the mesh to be flattened and spray painted black.

don't underestimate the forum. I still get updates multiple times per day on a post I started in november while waiting in line for a sandwich.

Something about that pink mesh just makes it easy to dent huh, mines dented too.  But my old AD900 didn't dent, and my AD1000x hasn't dented, and hopefully my AD2000x won't dent...hopefully.

Speakers - KEF LSX

http://blog.audio-technica.com/pro-audio-team-show-floor-namm-2015/  I know your feeling

Something about that pink mesh just makes it easy to dent huh, mines dented too.  But my old AD900 didn't dent, and my AD1000x hasn't dented, and hopefully my AD2000x won't dent...hopefully.

all of those things look so great!

Hail Sithis!

If we're done crying salty tears over headphones out of the price range, some other suggestions. Beyerdynamic DT 880 or AKG K612 Pro are both solid open headphones under $300, leaving budget for the modmic.

Keep in mind the phones mentioned so far are all fairly neutral and open, which among other things means they have unboosted bass. If you think you would want something more fun, speak up.

If we're done crying salty tears over headphones out of the price range, some other suggestions. Beyerdynamic DT 880 or AKG K612 Pro are both solid open headphones under $300, leaving budget for the modmic.

Keep in mind the phones mentioned so far are all fairly neutral and open, which among other things means they have unboosted bass. If you think you would want something more fun, speak up.

Thanks for your suggestions I'll look into them on my lunch break.

All the headphones I've owned to date have been closed headphones and for the most part quite heavy bass. Honestly I don't know what is good for gaming vs music listening. I do most my music listening on my phone at work and such.

Edit: Bass not bass

I heard Beyerdynamoc MMX300 are good.

Bascially (better) DT770s with a mic.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I heard Beyerdynamoc MMX300 are good.

Bascially (better) DT770s with a mic.

They're not better, only reason to consider them is if they are the same price or less as the 770.

What would be some more bass / fun?

Astro A40's are the only headphone that I can comfortably wear and I think there awesome, people have strong opinions on them although they've never tried them. The soung quality is awesome, the mic is alright. I would recommend them though.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Astro A40's are the only headphone that I can comfortably wear and I think there awesome, people have strong opinions on them although they've never tried them. The soung quality is awesome, the mic is alright. I would recommend them though.

While I agree that the echo chamber hype train is generally full-stream around here, they don't compare with real headphones in the price range.

What would be some more bass / fun?

To name a couple, modded fostex tr50p (from mayflower electronics) have heaps of bass. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, possibly DT 770 if the price hasn't gone up again.

Is the PC 360 a decent headset?

Edit or the 350 se for that matter...

Wow almost double price in Canada

Edit: Can't find 360's avaliable in canada for under $400 so it would be the pc350 se

Is the PC 360 a decent headset?

Edit or the 350 se for that matter...

Wow almost double price in Canada

Edit: Can't find 360's avaliable in canada for under $400 so it would be the pc350 se

The sound quality is awesome on those but those are like a vice on your head, I guess if you wanna trade sound quality for comfy, just my two cents. I've bought a lot of headphones but usually return them eventhough they sound great if there not confy, I value that above all other factors. There on ear instead of around the ear, and I'm not a big fan of them. The Senheiser PC 350 SE that is.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

The sound quality is awesome on those but those are like a vice on your head, I guess if you wanna trade sound quality for comfy, just my two cents. I've bought a lot of headphones but usually return them eventhough they sound great if there not confy, I value that above all other factors. There on ear instead of around the ear, and I'm not a big fan of them. The Senheiser PC 350 SE that is.

Yeah I don't like in ear at all... I didn't notice.

Comfortable headphones are important to me. I have a busy work week so when I sit down to game on the weekend I can go for many hours.

Edit they don't look on ear...