Blower vs Internal Exhaust Video Cards

GeForce GTX

NCIX: http://bit.ly/13Cd3gC

Amazon: http://geni.us/3sB3

AMD Radeon

NCIX: http://bit.ly/13Cdbg8

Amazon: http://geni.us/2coV

When the average gamer shops for a new video card, should they look for a non-reference internal exhaust card, or is the "reference" blower design a better choice?

http://youtu.be/nAKyh-qqQCw

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This video.

I asked this question ages ago and have been waiting for a video about this ever since then.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Stopped playback at 5:20 for me. Anyone else?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Stopped playback at 5:20 for me. Anyone else?

Went right to the end for me... Anyone else having this issue? O.o

Works for me. When is the 5820k winner announced?

Nah, but I fixed my problem by refreshing the page and just forcing it to play from 5:18. Reffresh the page and try again?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

imagine dat swag

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

Gonna head over there and figure it out now. Sorry, been a hectic week all around.

I see dust bunnies

Wait a minute......this internals of this case is very reminiscent of the Thermaltake V300/V400. Same fan placements, same dust filter, same tool-free retention system, almost similar chassis construction and layout.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

i wanna nkow dat too.

Gonna head over there and figure it out now. Sorry, been a hectic week all around.

aKKK

No problem, I understand that. Thanks.

Thanks Nick!

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

aKKK

No problem, I understand that. Thanks.

Winner names have been added to the OP. Sorry but neither of you guys won :(

Redraws will happen on 1/1/2015 if they don't respond, but both seem to be active (last online yesterday) so I doubt that will be the case.

Make sure you enter the NUC giveaway for another chance to win :D

Redraws will happen on 1/1/2015 if they don't respond, but both seem to be active (last online yesterday) so I doubt that will be the case.

Good and bad. Bad I didn't win, but good it was an active member not a one post wonder. :)

Off to bed now that the video is seen and the contest is entered. :)  Goodnight all.

It's like Linus read my mind.
I was actually just discussing the differences / advantages of blower coolers with a buddy of mine.
I'd like to see more videos like this.
Edit: Also, I love the puns.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Hi Linus, could you guys please tackle the age old argument topic of positive v negative pressure in the case using your awesome methodology.

I'm talking the biggest case possible with like 12 case fans doing tests of 2 in 10 out, 4 in 8 out, 6-6, 8-4 and 10-2 to measure the difference right across the range of pressures.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Oh thank you so much, Linus. But still my question stands,why do people recommend non reference cards?

Hey Linus.

Thanks for this video comparison, however I have a question regarding these coolers and SLI. In ArsTechnica holiday shopping guide I found this:

"Those building the Performance Gaming Box to a higher-end, dual-GPU configuration, will want to stick with the reference cooler, at least for the top GPU, so the cooler doesn't get starved for air by the lower GPU."

source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/12/the-ars-system-guides-gaming-boxes-december-2014/6/

This is exactly my case, having mATX and want to go SLI. I have EVGA 970 ACX 2.0 already in my system inside Bitfenix Prodigy M with 2 noctua fans blowing on it. Does this really matter and can I have a problem if I add second EVGA 970 ACX 2.0 on top of that?

Thanks

Loved this video as it is something I experienced myself even in as large as case as the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

I have the EVGA GTX780 SC w/ ACX Cooler.  This card blows out a fair amount of heat into the chassis.  Paired with it, a Cooler Master Seidon 240M that was exhausting air out the top of the case.  With this combo, I was getting upwards of 10C+ on my CPU after an hour of gaming because the temperatures from the GPU were rising into the radiator.  Eventually I bought a G10 Bracket and switched my top radiator from exhaust to intake, and temperatures are amazing, but this is my example of this happening to me.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Or in my case (hah), you get a CPU and a GPU attached to one heatsink attatched to one really small and loud fan.  Stupid Dell laptops.  I guess I know which type of card I'll be going for when I finally build a PC though since I really don't have room for a full tower in here.

@LinusTech

I would like to see this test done in a well ventilated chassis. (Don't know if a Corsair Obsidian 750d is well-ventilated but still)

My config for the 750d would involve 2 front intake fans, 2 intake fans on the top blowing trough an h100i (hereby seeing if gpu style has any effect on AIO's) and 1 exhaust fan in the back.

Also, did you note down any clockspeeds during the tests? It seems that the windforce card stayed under 80°C and therefor should be boosting due to GPU Boost.

The reference card seemed to hit 83° which suggests it's thermal throttling.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Interresting but it does make sense. Ohh well, thats what you gotta live with when buying a windforce, without water blocking it ;)

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2