CORSAIR CX500 not booting my machine

Evga
Go to solution Solved by Tedster,

500w should be overkill for your build - I'm going to be running a 4670k/4690k and a 680 on 500w (or at least trying to).

Is there a lit green light on the motherboard? If not, then the motherboard isn't getting power.

Ok so as you will se in my previous thread I have decided to get a new psu to go along with my gtx 750ti which will require a bit more power when under load. However my psu arrived first so I decided to install that while my gpu arrives. I installed everything on the psu CORRECTLY and it will not work. Tried connecting the power buttons at the front and still NOTHING. I cannot try to boot it on the old psu because cyberpower did awful cable management and I accidentily cut one of the cables for 24 pin atx.my system specs are here and I will need a responce fast as may be going to get a replacement (same one). System specs are here:

7700k amd @ 3.4 boosting to 3.8 

1TB wd blue 

Gigabyte f2a88xm ds2 

Be quiet shadowrock slim cpu cooler 

Dvd writer

(old psu generic grey box one 450w) 

new psu: cx500 corsair 

FAST RESPONCE PLEASE!

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Motherboard: z97 asus deluxe, Memory: 8gb Kingston hyperx blue, Graphics card: Evga gtx 750ti ftw, Storage: 1TB WD BLUE mass storage, Crucial 120gb ssd (boot drive win 8.1), PSUCorsair cx750w fully wired, Displays: ben Q  2 ms gtg  , Cpu coolerBe quiet! shadow-rock slim, Peripherals: Ducky shine 3, Corsair m65 gaming mouse, SoundHyper x cloud Headphones, OS: Windows 8.1

500w should be overkill for your build - I'm going to be running a 4670k/4690k and a 680 on 500w (or at least trying to).

Is there a lit green light on the motherboard? If not, then the motherboard isn't getting power.

Sig under construction.

You could try to find the two pins on the 24 pin that you have to short out in order to start the psu without a system and see if the psu turns on = the fan spins.

If you have a multimeter you can check the 24 pin aswell as cpu power cable

who cares...

@Evga heads up, please follow your own topics. The button at the top right of the page.

Sig under construction.

NO leds on mobo so cannot tell

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Motherboard: z97 asus deluxe, Memory: 8gb Kingston hyperx blue, Graphics card: Evga gtx 750ti ftw, Storage: 1TB WD BLUE mass storage, Crucial 120gb ssd (boot drive win 8.1), PSUCorsair cx750w fully wired, Displays: ben Q  2 ms gtg  , Cpu coolerBe quiet! shadow-rock slim, Peripherals: Ducky shine 3, Corsair m65 gaming mouse, SoundHyper x cloud Headphones, OS: Windows 8.1

@Evga heads up, please follow your own topics. The button at the top right of the page.

kk

You could try to find the two pins on the 24 pin that you have to short out in order to start the psu without a system and see if the psu turns on = the fan spins.

If you have a multimeter you can check the 24 pin aswell as cpu power cable

What do you mean "short out"

NO leds on mobo so cannot tell

Strange. I've never heard of one that didn't have a green LED to indicate power delivery.

Follow @KamiKatze's instructions.

Sig under construction.

Strange. I've never heard of one that didn't have a green LED to indicate power delivery.

Follow @KamiKatze's instructions.

Shall I just trade it back in and get the antec neo eco 520? link is here:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-NEO-ECO-520C-Supply/dp/B00DTP0BNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419094387&sr=8-1&keywords=neo+eco+520

What do you mean "short out"

Pretty much like this. Its specific for each psu. You can find the correct pins for the cx500 somewhere online.

Why do you want this? Well how are you going to turn on your PSU if its not hooked up to a pc? By shorting the pins you fool your psu into thinking it is.

http://www.pha-tech.com/resources/computer/fix_your_pc/images/power_supply_test_lo.jpg

who cares...

Pretty much like this. Its specific for each psu. You can find the correct pins for the cx500 somewhere online.

Why do you want this? Well how are you going to turn on your PSU if its not hooked up to a pc? By shorting the pins you fool your psu into thinking it is.

http://www.pha-tech.com/resources/computer/fix_your_pc/images/power_supply_test_lo.jpg

Look do not call me a "fool". It is first time installing psu so back off

Look do not call me a "fool". It is first time installing psu so back off

Relax, i was reffering to the PSU. You are fooling the PSU. ;)

who cares...

Relax, i was reffering to the PSU. You are fooling the PSU. ;)

kk

I know you are in a rush or whatever, but please do not make multiple of threads regarding the same thing in the span of less than an hour like you did here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274275-cx500w-psu-not-working/
It's essentially considered spamming, and it's also doesn't do you much good. Things that had been bought up in one thread may not be bought up in the other. It would be a waste of time for you and us, if we just have to repeat what have already been said and done. Not to mentioned that those who had started helping you here may not be aware of the fact that you had created another thread.

Ok so as you will se in my previous thread I have decided to get a new psu to go along with my gtx 750ti which will require a bit more power when under load. However my psu arrived first so I decided to install that while my gpu arrives. I installed everything on the psu CORRECTLY and it will not work. Tried connecting the power buttons at the front and still NOTHING. I cannot try to boot it on the old psu because cyberpower did awful cable management and I accidentily cut one of the cables for 24 pin atx.my system specs are here and I will need a responce fast as may be going to get a replacement (same one). System specs are here:

Basically, before you installed this PSU, your CyberPowerPC system has worked without any problems correct? Have you ensure that both the 8-pin EPS12v connector and 24 pin connector had been plugged firmly into place?

"Tried connecting the power buttons at the front and still NOTHING"? When installing a PSU, you shouldn't need to unplugged this. There's a possibly that you have plugged the power button in the wrong header when putting it back in.

Image of the GA-F2A88XM-DS2 Front Panel header.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/28qrpky.jpg

Ensure that the power button cable is plugged at the place where I had boxed out in red. If it still doesn't work, get something conductive and "short" those two pins that I had boxed out (basically, touch both of the two pin at the same time with a penny, flat head screwdriver, that paper clip, etc). If it works, something is wrong with the power button or the cable leading to it.

You could if you want, but the problem is we don't know what is wrong. If it isn't the PSU, then the issue with happen on the NeoEco as well. This would cause more down time, as well as effectively make you spend more money due to shipping it back.

I have to go, but if you decide to get a new PSU regardless, The NeoECO isn't really that much better of a PSU, and it's basically a cost down version of the Seasonic S12II-B. If you are going with a different PSU, I would suggest the G550M. It offer semi-modularity, DC-DC VRM on the secondary to provide you better overall voltage stability, more usable power, and a quieter operation for the same price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-GM-Series-G550M/dp/B00FNCNWHI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AZ3PYQW9T544C6K2DDE