[Solved] Issues getting 192kHz 24 bit audio to play clearly.

skorpien
Go to solution Solved by t0wer,

iirc optical doesn't do 192/24, but coax does.

and I'm curious where you got 192/24 files?

I'm hoping the audio community here can help me solve a problem I'm having with my computer setup.

Bit of background first. I have a Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 motherboard and am using the onboard audio connected via TOSLINK cable to my FiiO Alpen E17 DAC/Amp. I have optical input selected on the E17 and to the best of my knowledge it should work (it auto detects frequency and adjusts accordingly).

My issue comes when trying to enable 192kHz 24 bit audio on my computer. The DAC shows that the source input is 192kHz 24 bit, and there's audio output to my headphones, but it crackles horribly.

Anything below (96kHz, 48kHz, etc.) comes out crystal clear.

I have all drivers up to date and I'm at a loss as to what to do now. My Google skills are just not good enough :(

Thanks in advance!

Does the USB connection support 192/24? Try it. Probably it's the onboard that can't transfer 192/24 properly through the optical. 

If still fail, then yeah, just use below that sample rate.

The real question here is, why are you trying to play 24-bit 192kHz audio.

Thanks for the replies. The USB only supports up to 96/24, which is why I'd wanted to use the optical. From what I've seen on reviews of the motherboard and manufacturer specs online it should support 192/24 (it has Creative Sound Core3D for what that's worth).

The Creative Labs software that came with the motherboard doesn't include anything regarding the optical audio jack. The only thing it seems to control is the 3.5mm jacks for surround/headphones.

And I can't see any options to disable 5.1 in the SPDIF-Out properties. I've attached images of all four tabs in the SPDIF-Out properties.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your post SSL. I was just tryiing to get the best out of the equipment I have. I bought a DAC that's capable of decoding 192kHz audio so I wanted to make sure I'm getting the most out of it...

post-23021-0-56871200-1418982304.jpg

post-23021-0-92095300-1418982304.jpg

post-23021-0-39100100-1418982305.jpg

post-23021-0-82911500-1418982305.jpg

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Some (not many) sites have them.

lush_zpsdc461302.jpg

Downloaded that just for the kicks. Can't hear any different when I played it downsampled tho :)

Some (not many) sites have them.

it was just my extremely subtle way of asking why 192/24 was needed for the OP.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Just because the option is there in the windows drivers does not mean both devices support it. In the S/PDIF spec, 24-bit capability is optional, as the transport was designed for 20-bit data. Additionally, many DACs with optical inputs are limited to 96kHz sample rates, and simply don't work when set to 192kHz via software.

it was just my extremely subtle way of asking why 192/24 was needed for the OP.

I do not think it means what you think it means...

I understand I don't need 192/24. Rather I'm just seeing if I could get that high of a sampling rate to work with my equipment. Just as I know I don't need to watercool my computer but do so anyway.

Try to disable DTS Audio and Dolby Digital.

I have tried that as well. Still the same issue. Thank you though.

Just because the option is there in the windows drivers does not mean both devices support it. In the S/PDIF spec, 24-bit capability is optional, as the transport was designed for 20-bit data. Additionally, many DACs with optical inputs are limited to 96kHz sample rates, and simply don't work when set to 192kHz via software.

I'm aware that may be the case, but I was under the impression that my motherboard's onboard audio is capable of outputting 192kHz and the manual for the FiiO E17 states that it is capable of decoding 192kHz.

It seems this is a fool's errand, so perhaps I should just mark this solved and move on. Thanks all for your help.

From the forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2760

I guess it´s the optical cable? -or not.

Try some different musicplayers. Try to use foobar

ok to do it while in foobar hit "Ctrl+P" go to "playback" and then the little drop down menu in playback go to "DSP Manager" change the output format to 24bit. Next go to advanced. In Decoding, drop it down and change "Tone/sweep sample rate" to 96000(exactly what I typed). If your computer ever is able to do 192KHz then change that too :)

Plz note there is a bug. If your higher quality songs are not able to play and say "Unrecoverable playback error:Not enough storage is availble to complete this operation" then you have to change the DSP manager output setting to 16bit. This is a bug that has yet to be adressed.

Originally Posted by veracocha go_quote.gif

e17 cannot play 192/24 bit flac files !! even at optical output ?!?!?  96/24 bit play via optical but too much popping and clippping !!! I'm using foobar 

FLAC or not has nothing to do with E17. It has to do with the decoder of the FLAC files, meaning the playback software. Judging from the symptoms, it is likely a driver or setting error between Foobar and E17.

Hey guys. I just got my Fiio E17, and I already have problems.

Let me elaborate:

1) when using USB as input source I get really crap sound, crackling on low passages of songs, just like badly upsampled audio you get when going from 44.1 to 48khz without filtering. It drives me crazy, I've been trying every possible combination of output format, and software/player and still the same. If anyone has any ideea why is this happening please let me know. Using a laptop with Windows 7 64bit.

2) when using optical everything is fine at 24bit/96khz, sound quality is great, no problems like the ones above. But when I go to 192khz/24bit I get real bad quality. I'm guessing this is due to my crap optical cable. Not a real problem I guess.

I'm sorry about my first post being so problematic, but I really want to be able to use the usb input, not just for charging. Other than that I'm really impressed by the SNR and SQ of this, and also the bundle of things you get together with the unit.

1 more thing to try. Download and install foobar, download and install the WASAPI plugin. More detail instruction, just google around.

WASAPI means foobar will access the sound device directly, bypassing directsound (which, since vista, is shit anyway)

Thank you vlkn' and creatip123. I'll try your suggestions out later. I'm going to buy some HDMI cables today so I'll pick up another optical cable or two to rule that out. I'll pick up a coax cable too, in case it is a limitation of optical.

It's somewhat comforting to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. It sounds like those people you quoted are experiencing the same thing.

And apologies if I sounded a bit crotchety in my last post. All the help I've received is truly appreciated.

Just wanted to post an update. It was that I was using an optical cable. I bought a coax cable and 192/24 works perfectly. Thanks again for everyone's help. It's truly appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!