What Aspect Ratio Monitor Do You Have?

Geekazoid

JUST TO NOTE
I did a thread similar to this last year or at the beginning of this year, but considering how technology
has evolved in such a short time I decided to do a new one to see what people have this time around.

Hi guys, I won't repeat the question since I know none of you are stupid and can read the title of this thread. I've added a poll for convenience, so you can choose to vote on the poll only, comment only or vote on the poll and comment, your choice!

So, let's get this started! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Why dont they call 16:10  8:5?

Arent they usually done by lowest common factor?

And 21:9 would be 7:3...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why dont they call 16:10  8:5?

Arent they usually done by lowest common factor?

And 21:9 would be 7:3...

Because 16:10 (1.6:1) is the golden ratio ;) or close, anyway.

21:9 is called that so it's easy to see the difference against 16:9.

Because 16:10 (1.6:1) is the golden ratio ;) or close, anyway.

21:9 is called that so it's easy to see the difference against 16:9.

well then 4:3 should be 12:9 then...so its easy to see the difference against 16:9 ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well then 4:3 should be 12:9 then...so its easy to see the difference against 16:9 ;)

Obviously 4:3 predates 16:9 :)

If you were to change it though, 16:12 would probably be a better choice.  Then it can be easily compared to 16:10 and 16:9.

Obviously 4:3 predates 16:9 :)

If you were to change it though, 16:12 would probably be a better choice. Then it can be easily compared to 16:10 and 16:9.

That is good logic for a "trusted advisor". B)

Maybe the rest of us should have a badge that saids "Untrusted Advisor". :P JK LOL

BTW, what AR are your monitors?

Oh, one more thing, why don't you have your system build specs on your profile? :huh:

That is good logic for a "trusted advisor". B)

Maybe the rest of us should have a badge that saids "Untrusted Advisor". :P JK LOL

BTW, what AR are your monitors?

Oh, one more thing, why don't you have your system build specs on your profile? :huh:

ASUS PA248Q

Acer H236HLbid

Dell E2011H

Dell S2440L

Dell U2415

2x Dell U2414H

That one Seiki 50" 4K TV

I live with a bunch of people, so I get to play with all of these lol.  The PA248Q and U2414Hs are the ones I use on a regular basis though.

I guess I never got around to filling that profile section out lol.  My stuff is in my sig anyway :P

ASUS PA248Q

Acer H236HLbid

Dell E2011H

Dell S2440L <—

Dell U2415

2x Dell U2414H

That one Seiki 50" 4K TV

I live with a bunch of people, so I get to play with all of these lol. The PA248Q and U2414Hs are the ones I use on a regular basis though.

I guess I never got around to filling that profile section out lol. My stuff is in my sig anyway :P

That one's a VA monitor, I had thought about buying that at one stage, how do you find it? :)

BTW, you didn't answer all of my questions and you forgot to include the AR of those monitors, but I know what several of those are anyway. ;)

That one's a VA monitor, I had thought about buying that at one stage, how do you find it? :)

BTW, you didn't answer all of my questions and you forgot to include the AR of those monitors, but I know what several of those are anyway. ;)

Oh, I thought you mistyped ARE :P

The PA248Q and U2415 are 16:10, the rest are 16:9.

TBH the S2440L is pretty bad looking compared to the IPS panels I have, and I didn't find the black levels particularly impressive either.  It's difficult to distinguish from a TN panel actually.

16:9, but when I get a monitor with a pro grade panel for color work at 3440x1440 I want to switch to that...

Oh, I thought you mistyped ARE :P

I don't mistype! I'm cool like that. B) JK

So, you're a trusted advisor and you don't even know that the abbreviation for "aspect ratio" is "AR"? Some trusted advisor you are! :o:P JK

*takes Trusted Advisor badge* :D

The PA248Q and U2415 are 16:10, the rest are 16:9.

Yeah, figured as much. :)

TBH the S2440L is pretty bad looking compared to the IPS panels I have, and I didn't find the black levels particularly impressive either.  It's difficult to distinguish from a TN panel actually.

Heck! It's a damn good thing I didn't buy it then. :o;)

I use a 16:9 and a 16:10 and had a 21:9 and have gone through plenty of 4:3s never had a 5:4 however O.o and quite frankly I must say my preference is 16:10

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I use a 16:9 and a 16:10 and had a 21:9 and have gone through plenty of 4:3s never had a 5:4 however O.o and quite frankly I must say my preference is 16:10

Is your 21:9 one a 29" 1080p display or a 34" 1440p display?

Is your 21:9 one a 29" 1080p display or a 34" 1440p display?

34" 1440p it's the LG 34UM95 It's one the many monitors I use at work  and I must say I still don't quite  like the aspect ratio my biggest fuss about it is lack of support and the awkwardness of maximizing things on it and they just get stretched across the screen...For UltraWide Setups I still prefer triple monitor setups for everyday usage, for gaming it depends on the game and the price is off the charts I'd sooner just get a 2160p monitor than a 21:9 unless prices drop and things become more optimized. And even then I still naturally prefer 16:10>21:9> 16:9>4:3 (left being better than on right if you don't know less than vs greater than symbols) but it's also circumstantial

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

34" 1440p it's the LG 34UM95 It's one the many monitors I use at work  and I must say I still don't quite  like the aspect ratio my biggest fuss about it is lack of support and the awkwardness of maximizing things on it and they just get stretched across the screen...For UltraWide Setups I still prefer triple monitor setups for everyday usage, for gaming it depends on the game and the price is off the charts I'd sooner just get a 2160p monitor than a 21:9 unless prices drop and things become more optimized. And even then I still naturally prefer 16:10>21:9> 16:9>4:3 (left being better than on right if you don't know less than vs greater than symbols) but it's also circumstantial

WOW! Okay, well I had been seriously considering a 21:9 34" display, but based on what you've said I'm kinda second guessing myself. You could just take it to your bedroom and use it for movies if you don't like to use it for your PC. Just a thought. I've actually been recently thinking about a triple 2560x1440 monitor setup with the BenQ GW2765HT IPS monitor because I mainly do video editing.

WOW! Okay, well I had been seriously considering a 21:9 34" display, but based on what you've said I'm kinda second guessing myself. You could just take it to your bedroom and use it for movies if you don't like to use it for your PC. Just a thought. I've actually been recently thinking about a triple 2560x1440 monitor setup with the BenQ GW2765HT IPS monitor because I mainly do video editing.

Work monitor only cannot take home otherwise I might for that it'd be pretty nice actually  not a bad monitor at all just not my preference the UI scaling issues are the hard part  with 3 monitors I prefer just having 3 different things separated by the bezels w/o the bezels the programs just touching eachother seems kind of "off"  to me but to someone else it might not matter as much 

Work monitor only cannot take home otherwise I might for that it'd be pretty nice actually  not a bad monitor at all just not my preference the UI scaling issues are the hard part  with 3 monitors I prefer just having 3 different things separated by the bezels w/o the bezels the programs just touching eachother seems kind of "off"  to me but to someone else it might not matter as much

Ah! I see what you're saying. Well they way I work a triple monitor setup would be best I think. Thanks for your thoughts on that BTW, greatly appreciated! :)