Assetto Corsa?

as96

hey i wonder if any of you guys have tried my blue falcon mod, it doesnt look too nice but it took a lot of time to get it to be reasonably stable at its speed

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

One thing, authentic not exist in 100% in the games..

What do you think how developers form the games do that stuff ? Yes, some of them do GPS scan of the tracks, but some of them dont. Same thing with mod community.  Some of them use old GPS scan tracks from older games and the use precise layout  with new graphics. Some ppl create tracks from the zero. 

There is a lot of custom tracks that not exist in the real world, and what is wrong with that ??

I saw better tracks in the Corsa then in the F1 codemasters games. 

And same stuff with the cars. Do you really think developers have access to all cars ? To drive them on the limit  on the track to figure it out how it handles ? In a many many situation, they r just guessing  about authentic physics like a guys who create mode's. And on top of that, there is physics engine. 

Long story short, some of modes are good, some of them need more work. You can try them but a lot of them are fantastic! Take a look that R8, it is custom made model, it is not from Kunos, and it looks gr8: 

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e0b9/4ta1fbbeb1vk4iczg.jpg?size_id=9

Miura is fantastic and it is a mode to:

-snip-

All 'n all, it is a video game. It is hard to import real world stuff that feel like in real world.

I don't think you understood what I meant. Yes, I know games will never be to 100% real-world likeness. That's not what I meant.

What I mean is, for example, the Ferrari 599xx model in Assetto was made to look, drive and sound like a 599xx (as close to the real thing as possible). It has it's own specific physical parameters, unique to itself. The devs put a certain amount of time and effort into making that car be as close to real life as possible. I know this is consistent among all the cars they put in the game and I know it's giving me an idea (to a degree) of what that car is really like to drive.

What concerns me is not necessarily how life-like a mod car looks, but how it's unique physical parameters were created (how it handles in-game, relative to how it handles in real life). If they used the parameters from another vehicle and modified them, imported from another game or created them from scratch, it's handling characteristics may not be as accurate and true-to-life as it could be and with the same effort and consistency as the other cars. So I would want the cars that are mods to have that same level of authenticity or true-to-life characteristics as the rest of the cars originally put into the game. That's all. Having a certain car in a game for the sake of having it in the game is one thing, but ensuring it's model and physical parameters are as accurate and authentic as the rest of the cars in the game is another. That's what I'm wondering about.

Also, make sure you quote the person you're talking to. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

MEC-777

Dont get me wrong. I understand your concerns. If F1 Ferrari 2014 have handling like a Golf 2, than it's a trash mode. But if you jump in a BMW Z4 in one car simulation game (lets say Corsa) and after that in another car simulation game with BMW Z4 (lets say pCARS) and you see totally different results. Similar but different, than there is not much point to be bother about modes.. whether it simulate real thing or not. I agree that we need more precise cars but in the end, it is hard to be 100% shore  is that physics spot on or not.

For example, this E22 Lotus F1 car and this Suzika track is custom made modes from mode community and I'm playing it all day. I cant be bother is that track  precise or is that Lotus handling real or not:

I'm loving it, track and a Lotus.

Wait for project cars.

CPU: i5 4670k GPU: GTX 770 Mobo: Z87-UD3H RAM: 8Gb Ripjaws Case: Corsair 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

MEC-777

Dont get me wrong. I understand your concerns. If F1 Ferrari 2014 have handling like a Golf 2, than it's a trash mode. But if you jump in a BMW Z4 in one car simulation game (lets say Corsa) and after that in another car simulation game with BMW Z4 (lets say pCARS) and you see totally different results. Similar but different, than there is not much point to be bother about modes.. whether it simulate real thing or not. I agree that we need more precise cars but in the end, it is hard to be 100% shore  is that physics spot on or not.

For example, this E22 Lotus F1 car and this Suzika track is custom made modes from mode community and I'm playing it all day. I cant be bother is that track  precise or is that Lotus handling real or not:

I'm loving it, track and a Lotus.

Again, I understand it can never be 100% like the real thing. But where you say you can't be bothered whether the track is accurate or the handling of the Lotus is realistic or not, that's where you and I differ. The whole point of Assetto Corsa or any racing simulation game is to make it as real as possible. So if less effort was put in to make sure that Lotus E22 handles close to the real E22, then I don't want it in the game. Same thing with tracks. IMO, it defeats the purpose. I'd rather wait for the game devs to add those cars and tracks as I know they will give it the same highly detailed attention they put in to the cars and tracks that are already in the game.  

If I wanted to race cars in a game that are more just visual representations of real cars and tracks but don't necessarily reflect the way they actually handle/feel, then I'll go play an arcade racer like NSF or Grid. 

One thing I can already tell you that isn't right/accurate with that Lotus E22 is the sound. The sound they put in is either a modified Ferrari 458 engine sound or some other naturally-aspirated F1 V8 sound imported from one of Codemaster's F1 games. All F1 cars from the 2014 season, including the E22, used new turbocharged V6 engines that have a very distinct sound. The real E22 sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzevJyU2mN8

I don't know how accurate they got the handling of that E22, but the sound being wrong already puts me off. All the other cars in the game (the cars from the original game devs) have fairly accurate sounds. It may seem like a silly thing to complain about, but to many car and racing sim enthusiasts, it helps with immersion when the car you're driving actually sounds like the car you're driving. It's this level of attention to detail that I'm talking about. If they couldn't be bothered to get the sound right, how do I know they bothered to get the handling right? 

If it doesn't matter to you if the handling or tracks are even close to accurate, then why play a racing sim? For me, I play racing sims for the authentic experience it gives me. For the ability to get a taste of what it's actually like to drive cars like these. I have real racing experience and have driven some of the cars in some of these games, on-track, balls-to-the-wall, so I can attest to the fact that they did a damn good job with the tire and suspension physics as well as power and torque curves in Assetto. So to me it's very important that all cars in the game be given the same level of detail and authenticity in all aspects, not just appearance.

If you're having fun with it, then by all means. I'm not going to tell you to not use modded cars, if you enjoy it. It is a game and games are meant to be fun. I guess different people have different ideas and preferences as to what fun is. But again, to me, the whole point of a racing sim is to provide as real experience as possible. So to add a car or track to the game that doesn't deliver that, IMO that takes away from the experience. For me, the more realistic, the more fun it is. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

MEC-777

You just too much believe in dev's work. They r just a moders to. What do you think how developers create a cars ? Do you really think they test each car in really life ? And if it so, how hard, how much,  how's that representative transferring that experience in the game engine ? There is no system to directly transfer car handling from real life to a video game so hows that accepted  ?

Point that I made is in that post. If you have two deferents dev studios with really good sim developers  and you get two deferents results, my point is, witch one is right ?

I cant be bother from your point of view  because I know they r just trying and guessing what is the real deal and all of that stuff is just not or right like in real life. Yes, more likely is that.. that developer of one game will have more recourses but again, two different ppl will have two different approach. So if we have that "free system" of developing, why do we need to force devs work but not modes work ?

In the end. We, gamers, test some racing game and have comparison and we choose what is the best sim game. Do we ever try those hyper cars in real life ? Do we have idea hows even work ? No. But we still judge.

Same thing with modes. If  it looks right, I'm ok with that. Again, you can try same car with pCARS, corsa, live for speed, rFactor and you will get four different results. In my point of view, modes  is just one more result. An if I don't like it, i will not play it. 

All 'n all, I understand development of the games and I know that is really hard to transfer real deal from real life. I know that we r fare away from real physics. I play sim racing games because they r more complex than arkade ...but I never take that for a for granted. I dont care who work on that sim game, if we dont have system who will transfer handling from the cars in virtual world, than I will never take that car model like: thats it. It will always be of.. one way or another.  And we never mention physics engine. If one game have wrong  physics engine, than all cars will be of.. and I'm asking you, which game have right engine ? (its rhetorical)

By the way, that Lotus sound is old F1 sound. 

And yes, Assetto Corsa is worth playing without modes. If you dont like them.

MEC-777

You just too much believe in dev's work. They r just a moders to. What do you think how developers create a cars ? Do you really think they test each car in really life ? And if it so, how hard, how much,  how's that representative transferring that experience in the game engine ? There is no system to directly transfer car handling from real life to a video game so hows that accepted  ?

Point that I made is in that post. If you have two deferents dev studios with really good sim developers  and you get two deferents results, my point is, witch one is right ?

I cant be bother from your point of view  because I know they r just trying and guessing what is the real deal and all of that stuff is just not or right like in real life. Yes, more likely is that.. that developer of one game will have more recourses but again, two different ppl will have two different approach. So if we have that "free system" of developing, why do we need to force devs work but not modes work ?

In the end. We, gamers, test some racing game and have comparison and we choose what is the best sim game. Do we ever try those hyper cars in real life ? Do we have idea hows even work ? No. But we still judge.

Same thing with modes. If  it looks right, I'm ok with that. Again, you can try same car with pCARS, corsa, live for speed, rFactor and you will get four different results. In my point of view, modes  is just one more result. An if I don't like it, i will not play it. 

All 'n all, I understand development of the games and I know that is really hard to transfer real deal from real life. I know that we r fare away from real physics. I play sim racing games because they r more complex than arkade ...but I never take that for a for granted. I dont care who work on that sim game, if we dont have system who will transfer handling from the cars in virtual world, than I will never take that car model like: thats it. It will always be of.. one way or another.  And we never mention physics engine. If one game have wrong  physics engine, than all cars will be of.. and I'm asking you, which game have right engine ? (its rhetorical)

By the way, that Lotus sound is old F1 sound. 

And yes, Assetto Corsa is worth playing without modes. If you dont like them.

If you test the same car with the same setup across multiple/different racing sims, yes, there will be subtle differences in the way the car feels from one game to the other. But ultimately, if the devs really are striving to make their game a true racing sim and be as realistic as possible, then each car should handle very close to the same car in one game to the next. Example; A Ferrari 599xx in Assetto should handle/feel like the 599xx in another sim. Believe it or not, that is actually the case with many cars among the top-notch racing sims. 

A Kunos Simulazioni developer said they couldn't match the AC Pagani Huraya handling to real life and it would be easy to "fake" real life handling with fake values but they asked Pagani for more real life data.

After implementing the data from the active spoiler system the handling was very close to real life.

Also Kunos is having a corporation with RSR Nurburg for getting feedback on car realism.

^This exactly. They don't have to test and drive each car, they only need collaborative data and feedback from the manufacturer and from professional drivers who have first-hand experience with those vehicles and tracks.

Again, the whole point of a racing sim is to make it as real as possible. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Again, I understand your concerns.. I understand development of th game, like I sad. It is hard but lats say this, the name of that  E22 is XYZ and the name of suzuka is unknown vol1.  Lets' say I see cars in the game like that. But I see like that every car in every  sim game. To me, challenge in the game  is important and to have a fun  and I dont believe in physics engines in video games because it is really hard to simulate real life forces and because wi will get new physics engines in the future .

I dont see a problem if one sim game have cars without a license.. fictional cars.  But for me is stupid not to play that cars and that tracks if some mod name that fictional cars with real life names. Content for me is more important. And to me is stupid to  avoided that content because it didn't arrive from developers. I dont care how precise names is, look and sound as long as the whole package brings fun and good content.

5+ y from now, we will have better sim and Corsa will be out to date. Will not be precise like new better ones etc. So it is pointless to  avoid mods because its not perfect. Sim games will always be in development.

Thats why I dont have problems with modes because I know developers work is not prefect so non-prefect mod is ok as long as its fun and challenging form me.

Its a great racer but it has one glaring issue, AI is horrendous.

You can do the same race twice without changing a thing, once you'll win by miles, next time you can't get near the top 5, AI cars seem totally unaware of your presence when manouvering but then at other times seem to deliberately smash into you and they tend to just stick to the racing line as much as possible only deviating to crash into you.

Its not a major issue at all and I'd recommend the game in a heartbeat but its worth a mention.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Again, I understand your concerns.. I understand development of th game, like I sad. It is hard but lats say this, the name of that  E22 is XYZ and the name of suzuka is unknown vol1.  Lets' say I see cars in the game like that. But I see like that every car in every  sim game. To me, challenge in the game  is important and to have a fun  and I dont believe in physics engines in video games because it is really hard to simulate real life forces and because wi will get new physics engines in the future .

I dont see a problem if one sim game have cars without a license.. fictional cars.  But for me is stupid not to play that cars and that tracks if some mod name that fictional cars with real life names. Content for me is more important. And to me is stupid to  avoided that content because it didn't arrive from developers. I dont care how precise names is, look and sound as long as the whole package brings fun and good content.

5+ y from now, we will have better sim and Corsa will be out to date. Will not be precise like new better ones etc. So it is pointless to  avoid mods because its not perfect. Sim games will always be in development.

Thats why I dont have problems with modes because I know developers work is not prefect so non-prefect mod is ok as long as its fun and challenging form me.

It's actually not that hard to simulate real life forces. It essentially boils down to math. The tricky part is that there are many factors involved and it's difficult to account for all of them completely and accurately. But the truth is the physics engines in many of these racing sims actually can and are very accurate and true-to-life. In fact they are close enough to the real thing that professional race drivers use them to practice and learn tracks they are less familiar with. Race drivers rely on muscle memory to learn how their specific car feels on each specific track. It helps them learn the optimal braking points for each corner, how hard they can turn in and when they can get back on the gas. Of course it's not exactly like the real thing and when they get in the real car, there is more learning and adjusting to be done with their technique, but the racing sims are close enough to the real thing that it is beneficial to the driver. If they weren't that accurate, they wouldn't be using them. 

Just to be clear; I don't have a problem with a modded car or track that's been added to the game, as long as proper attention has been given to ensure it looks, sounds and handles like the real thing - with the same level of detail as the main cars and tracks put in the game by the game devs. If it only looks like the car, but doesn't sound or handle like it should, then I don't want it in the game. It defeats the purpose of a racing sim which is to simulate the real thing. I prefer quality over quantity.  ;)  

As for saying that 5 years from now, these physics engines will be outdated by new ones? I strongly disagree. Iracing was first released to the public in 2008 - almost 7 years ago. And it's FAR from being abandoned. They're always adding more cars and more tracks and tens of thousands of people all over the world will continue playing it for many years to come (50k active members as of Dec 2013).  Why? Because it's physics engine is one of the best and most accurate ever developed. Yes, there will always be new comers to the genre, like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, but they will be brutally scrutinized and compared to the best sims currently available. Thus far, Assetto has shown it's physics engine is worthy to be among the best. Iracing and several other older racing sims still stand strong as having excellent true-to-life physics and one of the main reasons these newer games will gain popularity over the older ones is because of the better graphics. But it also goes to show how good those older sims are because people are still eager to play them for the true-to-life experience it gives them physics-wise, even though they aren't the best games in terms of graphics.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

MEC-777

understand your approach  but difference between you and me is that, I don't believe that video game physics engine is that good. Reasson why older sim car games live tode is becos there is no newones. We only have arcade codemasters like games. Take look at pCARS in the beginning and now. First goal is to have best best sim game. Now.. now is NFS  like game for consoles. 

Yes, professional F1 drivers practice on virtual sim's but they dont use video games that we have.

I love sim games for complexity but I dont take them that seriously because again, I don't believe that this physics engine is that close to reality.  

So, lets agree to disagree.. hehe.

Just to fill this topic with some content and not just a discussions.. heh:

It's worth the price.

Been playing it for almost a year now and there has been done a lot!.

Currently, the game in a release candidate state (R.C.) and there is still being worked on. The game surely has its flaws and won't have as much content as let's say Project Cars but its Physics are better and the experience is very nice. Even though the game is in Early Access 'mode' it isn't such a gamble to 'invest' into it.

The devs have a good plan for the future (content-wise) so you won't have to worry about the game suddenly being dropped. The release should be very soon™ (January for sure) with the first DLC following quite shortly after that. (People who purchased the game in early-access should be getting a 50 % discount on the first DLC).

Now, content-wise it isn't that bad. Of course it isn't as much as Project-Cars can offer but that's also due to the fact that Kunos (developer and publisher of AC) is just a small team and doesn't have as much resources as Slightly Mad Studios who develop PC.

A nice thing, though, is that Kunos Simulazione is located at the track of Vallelunga and do test quite a lot of cars (not all of them of course!).

Here is a link to the summary of their press-conference which they held 2 months ago. It's a nice read and you can find the full list(s) of what will be included in 1.0 (release day), as first DLC and what free content will be added once it's ready (no release date on that).

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/experience-the-assetto-corsa-press-event.94161/

I also suggest to check out their official forums and their facebook & twitter which they are quite active on.

The forums are very active and there are a lot of modders in the community creating quality content.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php

https://www.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/ac_assettocorsa

Do note, the forums are only accessible if you've purchased the game, created an account and linked your steam with that account.

MEC-777

I understand your approach  but difference between you and me is that, I don't believe that video game physics engine is that good. Reasson why older sim car games live tode is becos there is no newones. We only have arcade codemasters like games. Take look at pCARS in the beginning and now. First goal is to have best best sim game. Now.. now is NFS  like game for consoles. 

Yes, professional F1 drivers practice on virtual sim's but they dont use video games that we have.

I love sim games for complexity but I dont take them that seriously because again, I don't believe that this physics engine is that close to reality.  

Actually, Assetto Corsa shares the same code (core or a big part of it) with the dallara (I think it was dallara, could be another one) simulator so yeah, you can be pretty sure that the physics of "games" can be good. But in the end there are too much other things that simply can't be simulated so of course, driving a simulator is still nothing compared to doing it in real life. 

Actually, Assetto Corsa shares the same code (core or a big part of it) with the dallara (I think it was dallara, could be another one) simulator so yeah, you can be pretty sure that the physics of "games" can be good. But in the end there are too much other things that simply can't be simulated so of course, driving a simulator is still nothing compared to doing it in real life. 

Yeah, and rFactor Pro shared the same physics as rFactor 2 and currently being use by Ferrari F1 team. http://articles.sae.org/13603/

It is the closest thing we can have without going outside.  :ph34r:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

MEC-777

understand your approach  but difference between you and me is that, I don't believe that video game physics engine is that good. Reasson why older sim car games live tode is becos there is no newones. We only have arcade codemasters like games. Take look at pCARS in the beginning and now. First goal is to have best best sim game. Now.. now is NFS  like game for consoles. 

It doesn't matter if you believe game physics can be that good. The fact is; these racing sims DO have very realistic physics. I'm not talking about Grid or NFS. Those games were never meant to be hard-core, tru-to-life racing sims in the first place - like rfactor, iracing and Assetto Corsa. So don't even compare them. The only game made by Codemasters that is closest to a sim is their F1 series and even then I still consider that more of an arcade game than full-on sim.

So yeah, if we're talking about racing sims, specifically, they do have very accurate physics. Not 100% life-like, but very close.

The reason those older sims are still popular is because they have excellent physics engines. The reason there aren't too many new sims (though there are some now) is because it's very hard to improve on something that is already very good. The only major improvements to be made is in the visuals/graphics. You can ask any racing sim enthusiast and they will always choose/prefer better/more accurate physics over pretty graphics. But hey, if we can have both, then that's just icing on the cake! :)

Yeah, and rFactor Pro shared the same physics as rFactor 2 and currently being use by Ferrari F1 team. http://articles.sae.org/13603/

It is the closest thing we can have without going outside.  :ph34r:

Just to add to these two quotes; professional racing teams would not use these sims for practice and training if they were nowhere near accurate or even semi-accurate because it would throw the driver off once they got in the real car.

@NAILS - I don't know if you have any real world racing experience, but I do. I have had the opportunity to compare real cars on track to the same cars in some of these racing sims and again, I assure you, the physics engines are quite accurate. ;)

It's cool that people have been able to add all that content to the game, but I just hope they aren't adding all these cars and tracks just simply for the sake of adding content, but to give users an accurate experience of what it's like to drive those cars as well. Assetto Corsa is, after all, a racing simulator; meant to simulate the real thing as close as possible. I may try downloading some of the extra tracks like Nurburgring, Laguna Seca and maybe Mosport (just 45mins from where I live :D ) which are a few of my all-time favorites. I just hope those tracks were converted and imported to be accurate - I'll be able to tell once I drive them. ;)

Agree to disagree on personal preferences, sure. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I am going to compare how Assetto Corsa is with another racing game that isnt 100% finished at the moment.

Assetto Corsa > Project cars (in terms of gamplay and physics only).

Even though Assetto is pretty much out of early access now, the Physics, FFB, tire model, and even track accuracy is far better than project cars (my opinion). That aspect of project cars has improved though with in the last month, but Assetto beats it out. The graphics are not as good to Project cars though, but they have improved a fair bit since 1.0RC of Assetto. Assetto is also lacking in official content at the moment, with cars and tracks still been made by the dev. There are at least 5 cars coming at some point just for Toyota, including the Iconic AE86, and its modern day version; the GT86. Kunos have also laser scanned the nurburgring nordschleife, and that should be appearing in game at some point also. For now, most people are using the mod version by Snoopy. Just for this future addition alone, it is very much worth it to buy Assetto Corsa. Kunos also made the racing game "netkar pro", which is considered by a lot of people; to be the best commercial racing sim ever made. 

Note; I have played both Assetto Corsa and Project cars, I have been playing them for quite a while now with both racing wheels and a game pad. My comparisons are not blind ones based on other peoples videos, but on my own personal experience with those two titles. My views are not expressive of these two communities, or the dev teams behind the two games. My views on project cars to my knowledge, are not shared with anyone else from the Project cars community. Most people are hyping it up to a missive extent, but to me it feels like another need for speed shift 2. Though it is moving away from that feel as time goes on. I feel I have to put this, because whenever I put my opinion down for project cars; I am met with fanboy rage and threats to my life. The graphics for Project cars are some of the best I have seen however, if not the best for a racing game. It takes a strong setup to max everything out, and to keep over 60fps. It appears well optimized, and runs well on lesser hardware with a basic graphics card. For a while I was running it on a Phenom x4 and a 5/6 yearold ATI graphics card (forgot the exact version, but only had 512mb of GDDR3), and 4gb of DDR2. With everything turned down on the lowest settings, it did run, and this was very early on in the crowdfunding phase for the game. I have also run it on an FX4300 and a GT630 2GB GDDR3, and 8gb of DDR3, and was playable at low settings. I do have a GTX780 now though ( yes, it is coupled with an FX4300, no I dont have issues playing the games I play. My pc was originally built on a budget of £330 over a year ago, and the original build was out of necessity. The GTX780 was the first step in upgrading to stronger hardware)

Conclusion: Assetto Corsa is worth a purchase, even now and at full price in my opinion. But it never hurts to wait for a sale either. I will also say that project cars will also be worth a purchase come March 2015, even though in October of this year, I felt it was in an unenjoyable state. This has since changed. Definitely worth a look when it releases though, as it has improved in the past month; and I am now enjoying it.

You can actually get a fan made version of the Nordschleife here

Just for people like me who can't wait.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

MEC-777

Ok, it will be good for gaming that I'm wrong. That we have that good physics engine. Ok, I beleve you. On the ather hand, about modes.. follow development on the forums of some cars. I think it will convince you that some of them are really good.

By the way, ASSETTO CORSA is out of the beta. It is now in V1.0. This game worth every $.

MEC-777

Ok, it will be good for gaming that I'm wrong. That we have that good physics engine. Ok, I beleve you. On the ather hand, about modes.. follow development on the forums of some cars. I think it will convince you that some of them are really good.

By the way, ASSETTO CORSA is out of the beta. It is now in V1.0. This game worth every $.

I'm sure some of the mod cars are good and realistic and I look forward to trying some of them out (and the tracks), once I get one of my graphics cards back from RMA. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

MEC-777

Is the sound of the R8 that bad till you need to mask it with a loud music?  :wacko: The game is totally playable and enjoyable but they need to improve the MP quickly. 

Meanwhile i'm loving the Miura's, dat engine sound...  3932-dat-ass.jpg

No AIDs, everything manual. Pardon my lazy driving.. lel.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's overpriced and very feature limited... if you're into that kind of thing sure go for it!

Is the sound of the R8 that bad till you need to mask it with a loud music?  :wacko: The game is totally playable and enjoyable but they need to improve the MP quickly. 

Meanwhile i'm loving the Miura's, dat engine sound...  

No AIDs, everything manual. Pardon my lazy driving.. lel.

Yeeeeeaaaaah.... The Miura is one of my favorite cars of all time. I will say this; they nailed the engine sound and that alone makes me want to drive it. :D Too bad the GTX 280 I'm using on-loan is limited to dx9. :( No Assetto for me for a while.

Race Room Racing Experience still runs pretty good on medium settings, so at least I can satisfy my racing itch with that game for the time being. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

It's overpriced and very feature limited... if you're into that kind of thing sure go for it!

It's not overpriced when it's on sale. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

If anyone uses a G27 or another supported wheel with LED's , I found this program last night. Works just great :

http://www.fanaleds.com/hardwaresupport

http://www.fanaleds.com/downloads

http://www.fanaleds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=573&p=2509#p2509

MSI X99S SLI PLUS  // Intel Core i7-5960X Processor (8 x 3.0 GHz) // Corsair Hydro Series H80i Cooling // 32 GB DDR4 High End Crucial 2133 MHz RAM

2 x 4096 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 //2 x 500 GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD // 4000 GB SATA III, 7200upm // 1000 Watt Silverstone Strider SS //Creative Sound Blaster Z

Cooler Master Cosmos II Big Tower (ATX)