Laptop is slower each day ?!?!

Cy-Fy

Hi guys, so I have this laptop that you can see the specs of in the description. (For anyone on mobile: it has a core i3, 4gb RAM,and intel HD 3000 integrated graphics). Basically I have had this laptop since July 2012 and when I got it it was incredibly fast, it could do anything in just seconds. I was able to have Photoshop open and maybe light Premier Pro work on as well. It played 1080p videos without flinching. The only thing it couldn't do was play any games but that's okay because I have a PS3.

The only problem is that recently it is really slow. If I have Photoshop open then I can't have anything else, not even 5 tabs on Chrome. Or if I'm watching a 1080p video (locally or through Youtube) it lags and I can assure it is not the internet connection because the whole machine freezes for seconds.

In case you wanted to now, the HDD is a 750GB seagate with about 308GB free so I don't think this is the problem, but if you have any ideas could you please give me some advice on how to make the laptop fast again?

Thank you very much!!! :D

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

1. defragment your hard drive.

2. Remove bloatware and other unwanted programs, that install themselves.

3. Check how much RAM your pc is using on idle, shoot me a message with the amount used.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

1. defragment your hard drive.

2. Remove bloatware and other unwanted programs, that install themselves.

3. Check how much RAM your pc is using on idle, shoot me a message with the amount used.

Hi thank you for the reply. I analysed before defragmenting and it was only 2% fragmented.

There is not that much bloatware anymore but I'll see what I can do

About memory, this is what shows on Windows Task Manager when idling:

Total 3947

Cached 2350

Available  2500

Free  285

EDIT: I just remember that I installed Rainmeter a few months ago, could that be a problem? I thought it only used very little memory.

Reinstall Windows. Good time to do it now that is 2 years later.

Is it really worth it?

Yes, it should solve this problem of being really slow. Same sort of idea with why reinstalling works when solving other problems.

Yes, it should solve this problem of being really slow. Same sort of idea with why reinstalling works when solving other problems.

Yeah I might look into doing that although would I need to cancel my windows key I'm using now or do I just reinstall and type and type the windows key on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop???

Should be ok by just doing it.

okay thanks!

Sometimes re-installing Windows is faster than digging and trying to find what causes the problem. Sure you don't have the answer... but at least you'll problem will be resolved fast and quick. Also, you remove all variables, and know if your problem is at a hardware level or not.

Sometimes re-installing Windows is faster than digging and trying to find what causes the problem. Sure you don't have the answer... but at least you'll problem will be resolved fast and quick. Also, you remove all variables, and know if your problem is at a hardware level or not.

Are there any good  guides or list of steps of what to do when reinstalling windows7? My laptop didn't come with a windows disc but I made one with Windows USB/DVD Download Tool so that step should be fine :P